Talk

Advanced search

Folding bicycles - any recommendations?

(9 Posts)
Lio Tue 26-Jul-05 13:14:24

I need a 'commuting' bicycle I can fold up and take on the train to avoid my current 25 min walk to station and 40 min walk at the other end - anyone got any recommendations? I keep hearing that Bromptons are the best, but does anyone have anything else e.g. Dahon that they would recommend that would be a bit cheaper? Haven't ridden a bike for ages, by the way, so any general recommendations on staying alive will be welcome.

bakedpotato Tue 26-Jul-05 13:23:38

DH has a Brompton which he loves, but in light of your post won't go on about that
A friend has a Dahon which he swears is every bit as good

Lio Tue 26-Jul-05 13:28:58

Well, am almost convinced to spend the money on a Brompton tbh, tried and tested and made in the UK, which I feel I should support after the Rover thing. It's just that it is a big purchase for us and I want to be sure. Thanks bp. Was sure was going to be first MN-er ever to have zero replies, so phew!

WigWamBam Tue 26-Jul-05 15:29:47

It's not one of those topics that you're going to get loads of responses to

I know nothing about folding bikes but have a nice little bump just in case anyone else can help.

Lio Tue 26-Jul-05 15:39:03

Hee hee, thanks WWB, have made mental note to start thread about the evils of breastfeeding next time.

WigWamBam Tue 26-Jul-05 15:40:01

Give us plenty of warning if you do that; I need to make sure my tin hat and riot shield are ready!

Hausfrau Tue 02-Aug-05 11:19:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dizzydo Tue 02-Aug-05 12:10:59

Lio, DH has a Brompton which he raves about and is very pleased with. The only drawback I can see is that they are quite heavy (I am assuming you are female and you might find it a struggle going up and down the station steps with it. Brompton have just brought out a new bike made from Titanium which is much much lighter but much more expensive too (about £900 I think You might well be able to do a purchase on interest free credit tho which is how DD bought his.

Good luck. Much safer way of travelling in the current environment IMO

fqueenzebra Tue 02-Aug-05 12:44:10

Hey Lio, next time why didn't you entitle it "Is it true I'll be infertile I I breastfeed on a folding bike after having a C-section?"

Are you a member of the CTC? How about this folding bikes shop website , too.

Sorry no personal experience, but I think Dahon is good enough for most people & worth trying given the price difference. I think ctc are thinking of setting up small ads on their website if you want to try buying 2nd hand; still plenty of ads in the magazine as it is, though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: