Talk

Advanced search

What magazines do you buy?

(47 Posts)
ssd Tue 26-Jul-05 10:14:32

I love Red, but I find I skip all the beauty and hair bits as I think who can afford this stuff or has time to faff with it all? Yet BC I loved these sections...

Which mags do you like and why?

sandyballs Tue 26-Jul-05 10:30:35

It used to be Cosmo and New Woman, now it seems to be Bella and Best . Don't know how that happened

serenity Tue 26-Jul-05 10:30:38

SFX and Total Film, because that's what I like reading about. I've tried really hard, but I just can't get interested in womens/beauty/fashion magazines, they just take it all too seriously.

share Tue 26-Jul-05 10:32:22

Wont say what I used to buy now it's womans weekly as that's how I feel,.... old.

expatinscotland Tue 26-Jul-05 10:33:11

My mum buys me a subscription to Oprah's 'O' magazine, so I get that. My sister buys me a subscription to 'Good Food' every Xmas as well.

I occassionally buy Red.

Used to pick up 'Grazia' but I've gone off it of late.

snafu Tue 26-Jul-05 10:34:09

The only one I really buy now is Olive (food mag).

I used to be a magazine junkie but a) can't afford them now and b) get bored of reading the same old articles over and over again. I get my music mag fix from the Observer Music Monthly - I wish they'd start a film or fashion one...

Marina Tue 26-Jul-05 10:47:29

Word Magazine for articles about music and film
Private Eye for gossip
Eve as it is the best women's magazine on the market IMO
Junior so that I can foam at the mouth over the ludicrous consumerist fashion shoots and holiday articles, but the rest of it is very good

colditz Tue 26-Jul-05 10:49:44

Eve
Whatever seems to have a tempting makeup product on the front

anchovies Tue 26-Jul-05 10:50:18

I quite like Delicous (food mag) but don't really buy any womens mags anymore, I used to be a cosmo and marie claire addict but they seem a bit irrelevant now!

oliveoil Tue 26-Jul-05 10:52:25

Eve
Elle last month for the free flipflops
Vogue when they have the new seasons clothes in

Marina Tue 26-Jul-05 10:52:41

I am a bag lady Colditz . If there is a free bag I am in there with my £3...

Scatterbrain Tue 26-Jul-05 10:55:31

Feeling a bit sad and old - but just dicovered a new mag at mil's house and want to recommend it to you - it's called Easy Living and it's great ! Bits of everything - but not too heavy. The sort of mag you can enjoy a quick flick through - but it's a bit more intellectually stimulating than Heat or Closer ! Even better - as it's new they are doing a years subs for £12 - so I am off to find their website now !

Personally I find mags like Cosmo, New Woman etc a bit young for me now - yet I am not quite into Good Housekeeping !

Freckle Tue 26-Jul-05 10:56:02

I find most of the women's mags a total turn-off. As was said, most of the stuff they feature is just soooo expensive. Do they really think that their target audience can afford all that when they have children??

But I'm with Marina and colditz. I am now the proud owner of 2 bags from Red - slightly marred by the fact that the first bag really stinks!

compo Tue 26-Jul-05 11:34:27

I used to read mags like Glamour, Cosmo, Company and New woman but now I feel that they are more for single women without kids. Now I buy cheap gossipy ones like Closer and Reveal for my celebrity gossip fix

saadia Tue 26-Jul-05 12:03:52

Usually pick up Grazia, Hello and Junior, sometimes Red.

jamese Tue 26-Jul-05 12:09:49

I usually buy Good Food and one of the child parenting ones (never decide which one I like best).

I actually bought Cosmo this month - never read it so quickly, felt totally irrelevant now, yet used to really enjoy.

Used to spend a fortune on mags, but can't afford the money or the time.

A couple of pages of my book each evening in bed is all I can manage these days...

northerner Tue 26-Jul-05 12:16:57

oh I am such a magazine a holic. I buy:

Now
OK
Closer
Eve
New Woman
Company

MaggieW Tue 26-Jul-05 12:17:13

Eve
Red
Grazia
Occasionally Style
Occasionally Easy Living but find it a bit serious.

Kayleigh Tue 26-Jul-05 12:19:21

Have a subscription for Eve. Couldn't read any more as I find it usually takes me all month to get through one magazine.

roosmum Tue 26-Jul-05 12:22:23

the occasional house/interiors mag if anything - living etc or inspirations usually.

CountessDracula Tue 26-Jul-05 12:24:14

Decanter
Private Eye

ggglimpopo Tue 26-Jul-05 12:28:41

Message withdrawn

binkie Tue 26-Jul-05 12:32:16

do you remember how good Marie Claire used to be when it had a campaigning policy?

Marina Tue 26-Jul-05 12:36:25

Lifted from the French original on its UK launch. Ah yes, I remember it well Binkie. I learned about the horrors of female circumcision from an early MC.

ggglimpopo Tue 26-Jul-05 12:39:39

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: