Talk

Advanced search

Smelly washing machine

(25 Posts)
THERESA Thu 21-Jul-05 20:25:59

Nice one? My washing machine is 7 yrs old, as per the instructions (both in the book and from my mum!) I've always left the door open between washes & I've sometimes noticed a bit of a pong. It's getting stronger, possibly not helped by my two children being struck down by a particularly nasty tummy bug. The pong fromthe washer now greets you as you walk into the kitchen!
I've sent an email to Indesit, but wondered if anyone had a simular problem or suggestions

Aimsmum Thu 21-Jul-05 20:27:40

Message withdrawn

pouchofdouglas Thu 21-Jul-05 20:27:54

Message withdrawn

Frizbe Thu 21-Jul-05 20:27:54

sure kim n agie would say stick a lemon in it or something, but have to say I'm stumped, so bump!

Aimsmum Thu 21-Jul-05 20:33:19

Message withdrawn

pouchofdouglas Thu 21-Jul-05 20:34:43

Message withdrawn

THERESA Thu 21-Jul-05 20:34:57

Wow am impressed by the speed of your replies. I'd thought of running an empty hot wash but wondered whether to put any soap powder in? I'm ashamed to say I've got Kim & Aggie's book, it's the cleanest thing in my house! I never thought to look in it. Anyway smelly washers don't actually get a mention but they do suggest a hopt wash without detergent. They then sa a limescale remover will help the heating element last longer, so there!
I'll hang on til tomorrow and see if I get a reply from Indesit & will keep you posted!
Thanks.

handlemecarefully Thu 21-Jul-05 20:35:05

fab link Aimsmum

moondog Thu 21-Jul-05 20:36:37

If its lasted 7 years,the company will probably want to requisition it and out it in their in house museum.Don't honestly think these things are meant to last longer than five,tops.

THERESA Thu 21-Jul-05 20:41:20

Oh God, the last few posts arrived while I was looking in my book! Thanks Aimsmum, I'm starting to wish I hadn't asked, because I've always used 'old fashioned big box soap powder'!! Interesting site though. Moondog, are you serious? I'd be gutted to get less than 10 years out of it, my previous one was a Hoover one from a second hand shop which lasted us about 6 years & cost £100

handlemecarefully Thu 21-Jul-05 20:42:30

my bosch is probably about 7 / 8 yrs old....

moondog Thu 21-Jul-05 20:47:40

Yes T,because we had a perfectly servicable 10 year old and the bloke who came to fix it told us it would cost more to do so (although there wasn't much wrong with it)than it was worth.

Noone wants you to have stuff that lasts.Means you don't spend your hard earned money on making someone else rich,see???

flowerfairy Thu 21-Jul-05 21:06:27

Mmm mine was a bit smelly a whike ago and then wouldn't spin(mines's 8 years old).

I had to ahve it fixed, washable nappies were getting rather pongy

Anyway it was to do with the pump, and the man fixed it, which he did and also found a very wet & smelly sock which had obviously caused some blockage and a very rusty bra wire..

It seems to ahve improved now though

Blondeinlondon Thu 21-Jul-05 21:58:15

Try emptying the filter if you haven't already

vickiyumyum Thu 21-Jul-05 22:20:36

hot wash is the way to go, just don't do what i did and put bleach in it as it foamed up and came bubbling out of the soap dispenser tray and the sides of the doors!! just used soap powder and a hot wash.
(at least my utility room smealt of bleach for weeks so misleading people about the cleanliness of it!)

pouchofdouglas Fri 22-Jul-05 09:38:52

Message withdrawn

rummum Fri 22-Jul-05 10:55:02

I'm with Blondeinlondon on this one.... does it have a filter you could empty... they are usually at the bottom of the washing machine

I went to a friend house and she was moaning about her washing machine.. I asked if she had emptied her filter lately and she didn't know she had one. I emptied it for her and you should have seen the muck that came out... and the stench... OMG.. I can smell it now.. ugh.... She was absolutely horrified.. she was just like Margo from the good life.. mincing about opening windows.. saying "I couldn't possibly do that, I would be sick, where are my marigolds " lol...

Hope it something as simple and cheap as the filter

Rummum

Enid Fri 22-Jul-05 11:05:39

how fascinating is that bit about liquid detergents!

am off to buy a big box powder immediately

NomDePlume Fri 22-Jul-05 11:07:44

I don't liquid detergents but I do use liquid fabric softener, surely that must be as 'bad' for the machine ?

Raspberry Fri 22-Jul-05 11:17:12

Theresa, maybe you shouldn't wash your sandals in it! ;)
Perhaps if you run it on tomato juice rather than water for one wash it will be cured?

(see smelly sandal thread from two days ago)

Enid Fri 22-Jul-05 11:18:42

i think its the fact that liquid detergent doesnt contain chlorine bleach rather than the fact that it is liquid

Theresa Sat 23-Jul-05 11:53:21

Well I've had no reply from indesit yet. There seems to be no filter (it's not mentioned in instructions). I decided to give the sopa powder drawer a good clean (very gungy but not smelly!) & generally have a bit of a poke about. I did discover some disgusting grey gunge (quite smelly) in the gap of the door seal so I've scraped that out, then done a hot wash with bicarb (as per the webiste) & it's definitely better. If I get a reply from indesit I'll let you know. thanks for all your replies.

foxinsocks Sat 23-Jul-05 12:01:03

wow, thanks for that link aimsmum - I use liquid detergents and the maching has started to smell so I'm off to buy some lovely bleach containing powder to get rid of it!

Janh Sat 23-Jul-05 12:08:18

I use liquid detergent but in one of those ball things and my machine doesn't smell (much) - I keep meaning to do a hot empty wash now and again though, thanks for that link Aimsmum!

Skribble Sat 23-Jul-05 23:23:10

We had the same problem and found it was the dishwasher back filling into washing machine. It didn't fill up enough to see it in drum unless you ran dishwasher more than a couple of times before washing machine.

It was because both wastes were conected to the same Y piece and were to close. Went to a trade plumber and the asistant plus a couple of helpful plumbers in the queue had a debate and decided on the best fitting for me. It worked and cured the drips I had from the Y piece as well.

Had to laugh when they were telling me how to explain the fitting to DH and were surprised when I explained that I would be fitting it .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now