Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sitting my three months old baby in the MICRALITE seat ?

(9 Posts)
MamanFlo Thu 21-Jul-05 13:45:32

Hi mums and micralite users

DD is nearly three months, she is quite big (98th percentile on the charts), she has very good muscles and her head is stable on her neck. I have a micralite that I used with the carry cot until then, but noz I am wondering if I won't start using the seat directly. The instructions say it is suitable from three months, but in France they advise to wait until 6 months.

What do you think ? What can be the consequences ?

Flo

Davros Sat 23-Jul-05 11:13:40

As far as I know, less strong/structured seats are meant to be bad for a baby's back and so are car seats for any length of time. I don't have a clue if its true or any links about it...... that's what I've heard. They're supposed to lie flat (ideally) until a certain age but I don't know what that is! Sorry for such crap info

NotQuiteCockney Sat 23-Jul-05 11:19:09

As Davros says, it can cause back problems. Scoliosis, I think?

Whether or not it's a good idea depends on how long you'd leave your child in the seat. 20 minutes a day? Fine. Four hours/day? Probably not.

Why do you want to stop using the cot? I kept DS2 in the carrycot on his pram until he was over 6 months, as he slept so well in it.

Davros Sat 23-Jul-05 20:06:05

Yes, I kept both of mine in a lie-flat, structured pram until 6 months. Apart from the possible back problems, I just thought it was more secure, quieter, comfy etc and people always like to look in! More room for shopping underneath too.

MamanFlo Sun 24-Jul-05 15:16:04

with the car seat or the pram the buggy is painful to fold, when without it it folds in 5 seconds... that would be much more convenient, but I guess I should be cautious in any case...

I ought to do some research on babies back anyway

thanks

flo

Eaney Sun 24-Jul-05 16:13:05

I have a micralite and a 5 mth old (almost 6 mth). I haven't used the seat yet because she looks really uncomfortable in it. She is pretty big so it's not her size so much as the way the seat seems to offer little or no support.

Try your dd in the seat I think you will see what I mean.

Kittypickle Sun 24-Jul-05 16:23:30

Though I love my micralite as it means I get out down the end of our muddy gravelly drive without having a massive 3 wheeler, I'm not convinced that they are the most comfortable things for babies. DS didn't go in till round a year and didn't look massively comfortable I always thought. I'd definitely wait to 6 months as I think it really would not be good for her back.

Bagpuss30 Tue 26-Jul-05 08:34:01

Quick thread hijack - Could anyone who has the carrycot please tell me how long they reckon they'll get use out of it for? I had a look at the Micralite in mothercare yesterday as I'm trying to find a replacement for our maclaren techno, and really liked the carrycot bit. ds2 is 3 weeks old and is quite long. Also, how much of a faff is it to take the carrycot off the frame for folding etc. I want this buggy for the boot of my car as I have a big three wheeler for walking and so need it to be fairly simple and reasonably quick to set up once we reach our destination. Thanks.

Chickyboo Thu 28-Jul-05 08:13:31

I think you can use the carrycot until they want to sit up....when I bought the Micralite they didn't have the carrycot so we bought the car seat that goes with it. We've had our Micralite for a year now(DD is 1 today) and we are really happy a couple of my friends are already onto their second buggy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now