Talk

Advanced search

Thomas the Tank train sets

(9 Posts)
nutcracker Wed 20-Jul-05 19:51:33

Thinking of getting one for Ds's 3rd birthday or xmas but there seem to be so many, and some that come with bits, some that come without etc.

I just want a set with track a couple of trains and thats about it. Would like to be able to add to it though.

Don't really want to spend anymore than £40.

Magscat Wed 20-Jul-05 20:04:46

We got this for ds and ahve added to it over the past 2 years.
Tesco & Brio (& I think Ikea) do cheaper compatible wooden sets so you can add cheaper bits in with the dearer original.

I've gone back to ELC for the major parts - like new engines or Cranky the Crane but have loads of other bits for the set in a huge box now. There's loads on ebay too.

vickiyumyum Wed 20-Jul-05 20:06:42

the ertl ones are great and you can always pick up good track deals in toy shops such as the entertainer.

they are the metal die cast trains and there are hundreds to collect.

both my ds have loved playing with it. and adding bits to it.

nutcracker Wed 20-Jul-05 20:15:50

That looks good magscat, I could afford to buy a few extras with that too.

Not sure if ds is ready for the metal ones yet Vicky, he still likes to chuck things about in a tantrum and i don't fancy getting hit on the head by a metal train

TwoIfBySea Wed 20-Jul-05 20:54:40

Nutty keep an eye on the Woolie sales because my mum bought a Thomas track set from there, can't remember how much she paid but it was a really good bargain at the time. Unfortunately this was last year but they are quite good for sales bargains in toys.

The track is just an oval with a station etc., Thomas is battery powered and has Annie and Clarabel but there are other sets that fit onto it so you could make a larger thing if you wanted.

trace2 Wed 20-Jul-05 21:11:49

we got a great tomy one from toys r us and you can keep adding on to it

nutcracker Wed 20-Jul-05 21:21:30

Thanks all, just spotted one in the sale on another site too, so if i don't find anything else i'll have another look at that one.

stripey Wed 20-Jul-05 21:59:14

You can get loads of wooden track pieces on ebay and make up your own combinations. Tesco used to do quite a bit of wooden track and I think they may still have a few pieces.

My boys love to break up the track and make it themselves so the more odd pieces the better.

They really love the Thomas trains though which can work out expensive. I would definitely spend less on track and more on the trains.

vickiyumyum Thu 21-Jul-05 18:47:28

oh yes the tomy one is very good too!
toys r us often reduce the big starter sets to £40 or £50 from about £80. the kids seem to like these because they go round the track on their own (if you remeber to buy batteries, which i forgot at xmas)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now