Talk

Advanced search

really cross... ebay again!!!

(11 Posts)
starlover Tue 19-Jul-05 09:59:29

i just bought a babydan playpen from someone on ebay. they have an ebay shop and were selling them new for £49.99
bargain i thought and purchased it straight away.

got it this morning and it is blatantly not new. I have a feeling it may be a shop display one or something (ie it IS new, but it has been used)
the bottom is all scratched and the plastic parts are all grey and grimey. I figured I could live with the bottom being dirty as it wouldn't be seen... but then i pulled the playmat out.

it stinks! and it's got all kinds of stains and dirt on!!!! it's really horrible, and apparently can't go in the washing machine!

do ordinary rules apply to ebay sellers? ie, can i insist that they pay for the postage back to them? do they HAVE to take it back if i am not happy?

purpleturtle Tue 19-Jul-05 10:01:24

<I have washed my playmat in the machine before.>

Don't know about ebay rules though. Sorry

W0MBAT Tue 19-Jul-05 10:05:36

Hi, it's me from your February babies thread. I have had a lot of experience with ebay. The first thing you need to try and do is contact the seller directly and tell them this is not what you purchased and you would like a refund. If they are not happy to resolve the issue then take it up with ebay as 'item received not as described'. This will start up a dispute and if you can not resolve it with the seller, ebay will try and settle it for you.

My dh bought a dodgy computer and we managed to get money back from ebay when the seller refused to give us a refund.

Kelly1978 Tue 19-Jul-05 10:05:38

The sale of goods act only applies to those sellign as a business. If they are sellign lots of new items, they may well be in business. Try emailign them first, they might be happy to resolve it.

starlover Tue 19-Jul-05 10:06:42

yeah have e-mailed them already...

just wondering if i'll end up paying postage to ship it back to them...

pinkmama Tue 19-Jul-05 10:07:11

Eurgh, yuk! Thats out of order, but not sure on rules starlover. Hope you do have some recourse. Did they say it was new on the description?

W0MBAT Tue 19-Jul-05 10:07:33

Oh right, you shouldn't have to pay postage at all. They should give you the money for it as after all, it's not what you ordered. Ask them to transfer the money into your paypal account if you have one.

starlover Tue 19-Jul-05 10:14:05

yeah just checked the original thing again and it definitely says it's brand new in box. doesnt' say anything about being used at all...

wombat... that's helpful thank you! it's bloody heavy and i don't really wanna pay the postage to send it back! lol

tamum Tue 19-Jul-05 10:17:04

Have you left feedback yet? If not, and they have an otherwise good record then that should make them think hard about trying to charge return postage and so on.

starlover Tue 19-Jul-05 10:30:07

not left any yet.

they have had 3074 positives in last 6 months and only 7 negatives.

unfortunately some of these seem to pertain to their refusal to replace goods! eep

W0MBAT Tue 19-Jul-05 11:32:22

If they don't respond to your e-mail, it might be worth calling them. You can get this by filling in information on this page

http://cgi1.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?UserInformationRequest#ContactInfo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now