Talk

Advanced search

Mobile phones - from the biggest ignoramus on the subjec t!!

(16 Posts)
lisalisa Mon 18-Jul-05 11:58:40

Message withdrawn

Nightynight Mon 18-Jul-05 13:01:13

Dont a lot of lawyers use Blackberrys? You can get them in phones now.

lisalisa Mon 18-Jul-05 13:46:52

Message withdrawn

robinia Mon 18-Jul-05 20:34:42

Sounds like you need a Blackberry for emails - dh has one but is away at the moment and I can't remember what type it is - it's a bit of a pain as a phone though - you can't just hold it up to your ear - you have to alternate between mouth and ear to hold a conversation. Have you tried googling it.

lisalisa Tue 19-Jul-05 11:13:39

Message withdrawn

Nightynight Tue 19-Jul-05 12:06:59

lisa - a blackberry was the original mobile email system. You can get them in phones now, let me look for a link...

Nightynight Tue 19-Jul-05 12:11:24

Here's some stuff that explains the blackberry system: Blackberries

and here's the Blackberry website with details of the latest handsets:
Blackberry website

You can get email on modern phones, but the screens tend to be smaller, and I think it may be more expensive. It is difficult to compare costs, because they have different and complicated ways of charging.

Ailsa Tue 19-Jul-05 12:31:50

Motorola A1000 - this is going to be my next phone when my contract is up for renewal.

\link{http://www.three.co.uk/handsets/handsetfeatures.omp?subleft=2&header=PAYMON&cid=1096963176719\A1000)

Ailsa Tue 19-Jul-05 12:32:13

Bugger that didn't work!!!

A1000

Nightynight Tue 19-Jul-05 17:47:19

the A1000 is VERY cool - the best 3g phone IMO. Im deeply !

Not sure how much 3 charge for data transactions (obviously, using email is a data transaction, as opposed to a voice call). You need to look at the costs for both.

lisalisa Wed 20-Jul-05 14:21:26

Message withdrawn

woollybaalamp Wed 20-Jul-05 14:31:24

Whatever you do don't get a 3 phone. Network is limited and customer service is crap.

Ailsa Wed 20-Jul-05 23:40:07

charges for email vary depending on the size of any attachments. I think the most I've been charged for email which included a high quality picture was 50p. But you can buy an add-on now to send upto 50mb per month for £5.

Woollybaalamp - I've had no problems with network coverage, I can often get a signal when dh can't.

woollybaalamp Wed 20-Jul-05 23:42:52

Two 3 phones in our family, one in Lancs and one in Leeds, and the phones themselves have caused endless probs, as well as poor signal much of the time. And customer services is a call centre in Bombay.

uwila Wed 03-Aug-05 15:11:45

Hi Lisa. My DH has an xda on O2, and the phone quality is absolute crap. Whatever you do stay away from the XDA. The PDA functions work nicely. But, if you want your customers to hear you speak then this is not the tool for you.

Do you really need to access your e-mail on the phone, or could you wait until you are back at the office/home to access them on the pc?

anchovies Wed 03-Aug-05 15:23:38

You can access pop3 email on most modern mobiles now, not worth getting a blackberry anymore IMO. Depends how much you'd use it for other stuff, appointments etc.

As for networks/tariffs, really just depends how much you'll use it and who you'll call. Orange do unlimited free calls between all the phones on the account if there is more than one mobile needed - this was best for us. They also do free insurance. You need to compare data/voice costs as this will make big difference if you use it online a lot.

We've all got these ones Good for emails and supports attachments. Nokias are generally pretty easy to use and we got them free without picking a ridiculously expensive tariff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now