Talk

Advanced search

What sort of bed do you have?

(39 Posts)
collision Sun 17-Jul-05 15:30:43

We are moving in October (hopefully) and I want a new bed. The one we have atm is fine and pine and just a double with slats underneath. I will put this in the spare room for guests.

I want a big bed with enough room for our 2 boys to jump in in the morning and room enough to 'lose' DH in the night!

I would like storage underneath too, I think. And I would like it to be a bit different and modern. I will be getting new bedding too and going for a minimalist look as I have decided the more you have the more you have to clean!!!!

So, what do you recommend?

MrsGordonRamsay Sun 17-Jul-05 15:32:45

Well, we have a Kingsize........bliss... If I had the space, I would order Emperor.......double bliss

Nemo1977 Sun 17-Jul-05 15:39:00

we have a kingsize divan with draws underneath. I lovvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeee it and when ds bounces on it i dont have to worry about it falling through. There is enough room for ds dh and myself to sleep comfortably. Although ds rarely does just sometimes has a morning doze.

Eugenious Sun 17-Jul-05 15:42:07

its big and rectangular with a big padded mattress - very comfy

Janh Sun 17-Jul-05 15:51:11

Have you looked at IKEA, collision? All their beds are 200cm long, they are up to 160 wide, and mostly pretty modern. (Possibly not different though!)

Janh Sun 17-Jul-05 15:54:54

different enough for you?

210cm diameter!

vicdubya Sun 17-Jul-05 20:38:23

We just bought a fantastic sleepezee 6'divan bed, it has storage drawers under, it is zip & link so I do not get disturbed by dh constant fidgetting (he is a chronic insomniac), plenty of room for extra small persons, it's fantastic, the best thing we ever bought.

You could choose a headboard to go with your chosen scheme.

The only problem is now I can't bear sleeping in a normal 4'6" bed with dh!

Oh and when househunting we had to reject some houses cos the bed wouldn't have fitted!

tiffini Sun 17-Jul-05 20:43:40

A stupid rock hard very very squeaky one. I HATE IT!!!! I HATE IT!!!!!!

WideWebWitch Sun 17-Jul-05 20:53:41

Ours is like this one, Bristolbed2 on the right but in a paler beech like the Bristolbed1 on the left and we bought it after we slept in one at Hotel du vin and had a great nights sleep. Ours was cheaper than that from Dwell, although they don't seem to have them any more, which is a shame. So it is modern and has a sort of platform surround and is king size and sleek and blonde. We like it, and kid ourselves that it makes our poxy bedroom feel like a hotel room

katzguk Sun 17-Jul-05 20:55:35

i am now the proud owner of a brand spanking new silentnight bed and lovely debenhams duvet and pillows and Next bedding all thanks to the impromtu home birth - and the best bit is the insurance company paid!!

essbee Sun 17-Jul-05 21:02:07

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Sun 17-Jul-05 21:31:58

We got a lovely new, wooden king size bed this year. It is very simple design. But it is a very low bed - pnly a few inches from floor. Looks great though, and it is very comfortable

jampots Sun 17-Jul-05 21:46:15

we have a kingsize but would love a bigger one

nannyjo Sun 17-Jul-05 21:47:43

a lovely lovely cosy one that is soooooooooooooo hard to get out of in the morning!!

liandme Sun 17-Jul-05 21:49:42

ours is a broken silver double cos dp let dd and sd use it as trampoline, before that we had materess on floor 4 3 months cos we snapped metal bedstead ttc but all we got was broken bed lol

marthamoo Sun 17-Jul-05 21:52:56

Where do you get bedding for that, Janh? Do Ikea do shitted feets for it?

expatinscotland Sun 17-Jul-05 21:53:13

An old, too creaky, too squishy double one. Good, cuz I don't have time to spend languishing in it.

jennifersofia Sun 17-Jul-05 21:53:47

We have a wooden one from IKEA, don't know exact dimensions but size is approx kingsize, and the size of it is great. Funnily enough when we visited my parents and slept in a super kingsized it felt too big! Little word of warning though - we have an IKEA mattress which (I think) has separated internal springs but it has 'sunk' and gained a 'hills and valleys' sort of a feel fairly quickly, which is quite disappointing. Also because it is not standard UK sizes, very difficult to get a new mattress to fit.

robinia Sun 17-Jul-05 21:57:50

We've recently got a kingsize and tbh can't really tell that it's any bigger than a standard double. Really wanted something big enough to feed new baby in when it arrives without feeling that I am (or he/she is) going to fall off the edge at some point and don't think the king size is going to make any difference. So what I'm trying to say is, if you want something you can lose dh in you'll need something bigger than a king size.

PeachyClair Sun 17-Jul-05 22:00:49

A rubbish double divan. We get thru one every two yers. Why? I have no idea. With 3 ds's, it's not thru action!!!.

Bought a gorgeous metal bed with my ex then I left, bit superstitios about anything decent now. And wardrobes- ooh, don't get me on wardrobes.....

tiredemma Sun 17-Jul-05 22:05:06

A lovely king-size chocolate leather sleigh bed. Plenty of room for all of the family!!

spursmum Sun 17-Jul-05 22:06:15

i love my kingsize bed!! Im 6ft so needed a bed that my feet wouldnt hang off the end of!! got mine from argos plain beech, low to the floor but still room to throw things under!!!

peaceandlight Sun 17-Jul-05 22:08:05

I have the best bed i have ever slept in. Bought it last year.It's by rest assured, a pocket sprung kingsize divan, Bliss!

vickiyumyum Sun 17-Jul-05 22:14:17

a nice new one!

Flum Sun 17-Jul-05 22:17:29

Never shop at Beds r uz. The name should have been a clue to their crapness but no.........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now