Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding tops - are they worth it???

(20 Posts)
blossom2 Sat 16-Jul-05 17:42:45

I haven't brought any and had to breasfeed in public yesterday, so wondered if they are really useful. I had thought that big baggy tops would be fine but not so sure now. And i may as well get some in the sales!!

what do you think??

popsycal Sat 16-Jul-05 17:52:31

no
just buy afew cardigans......then you can use them to cover your naked bits while feeding
primark have loads of cheap ones

Pixiefish Sat 16-Jul-05 18:12:53

no- agree with popsy. Plus as time passes you'll be more adept at latching on and feeding without anyone noticing at all

aloha Sat 16-Jul-05 18:16:38

No, waste of money. T-shirts (not v baggy) are fine.

bensmum3 Sat 16-Jul-05 20:57:37

I agree, I found the best way to breastfeed in public was a loose'ish top,not too baggy as you end up with too much fabric above babies face, with good positioning most people didn't even notice. I've breastfed all 3 of my children and fed in all sorts of public places, had comments about still feeding at 11 months by family members, but I feel we should not closeted in a small dark room, if by chance we flash a bit of bare flesh other people have the option of not looking, but to be honest if you take care nobody will notice.

moondog Sat 16-Jul-05 21:01:39

No,waste of money. T shirt and cardigan combo is best.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 16-Jul-05 21:02:46

I have loads of bf tops, and generally don't bother with them. They're useful if I'm going to be somewhere I'm not comfortable breastfeeding (e.g. restaurant with inlaws) but I almost never wear them.

Reasonably baggy clothes work. If you're wearing a shirt with buttons do not try to undo buttons to feed the baby. This does not work at all. I have tried it, and it wasn't good. (You can feed a baby this way, but you end up basically topless.)

popsycal Sat 16-Jul-05 21:11:20

I tend to wear a stretchy but more tight t shirt to be honest with a little cardy over.
Lift up the t shirt the wrap the sides of the cardy around the bits of belly that you are flashing. Put the t shirt as close as you can to baby's nose without suffocating"!!

I even BF in front of DH's very traditional grandad....half the time he just thinks ds2 is asleep! A male colleague even can up to ds2 and started fussing over him...I had to tell him he was having a feed - classic double take moment

Feffi Sat 16-Jul-05 21:16:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jane313 Sat 16-Jul-05 21:19:14

I used muslin to cover up bit of flesh I didn't want exposed; mainly my stomach

NotQuiteCockney Sat 16-Jul-05 21:19:38

One trick I've read on here, but not tried, is wearing a tank top (with very open neckline) under a tshirt. The tank top keeps ones belly covered while feeding.

But then, I find the baby keeps my belly covered.

popsycal Sat 16-Jul-05 21:28:55

put a blanket round baby....cover up the belly

popsycal Sat 16-Jul-05 21:30:50

I'll tell you what would be really good.....
A vest top with no boobs in it....so like straps down to below your boobs then normal t shirt

then you put your normal top over it and when you lift up your top, the 'popsycals amazing vest top' is covering up all the other bits

shall i invent one?

skerriesmum Sat 16-Jul-05 21:51:26

I really liked all my nursing shirts and used them lots as I was often out with baby... have packed them away for the next one! If you see nice ones just get one or two... preferably the kind with elastic just under boobs, easy to hike up. I didn't like the side-vent or side-zip style, too much bother.

maisiemog Sat 16-Jul-05 22:47:08

I like my bf clothes. I don't mind breastfeeding in public, but I do mind pulling my top up with my flabby belly. Plus ds tends to 'muck around' when feeding in public and the feeding top means I'm not having to hold my clothes up/out of the way, it's easier to see what he's doing as well, sometimes a t shirt gets in the way.
I only have long sleeve tops, but I saw the glamourmum tanktops on UKParents, and I quite fancy one. Has anyone tried????
Look good for the Summer.

moondog Sat 16-Jul-05 23:01:50

To avoid showing acres of stomach popsy?
Damn god idea.....Quick,patent it!

eidsvold Sun 17-Jul-05 04:51:11

nope - just a shirt that you can lift up - baby and arm cover everything - or if really shy or babe needs no distractions - throw a muslin over your shoulder.

popsycal Sun 17-Jul-05 08:23:30

yes moondog
dont knick my idea haha

Skribble Sun 17-Jul-05 22:05:32

I found it easier to lift top than to stick bbob out of zip opening in feeding shirt had to use shawl any way so save the money.

I had winter babies so always had a scarf or shamag anyway.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 18-Jul-05 10:36:12

There are feeding tops with zip openings? Wouldn't the teeth of the zip graze your boob?

I only have Canadian feeding tops, with a flap and two slits. Sounds complicated, but there's nothing to undo or do back up, and nothing scratchy or scary.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: