Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which tumble dryer is suitable for a small flat?

(7 Posts)
vess Fri 15-Jul-05 19:43:15

No experience with tumble dryers but really need to know now. The one we just got (Candy, condensing type) seems to make the whole room hot and steamy, which is a problem. Are they all like that? Ideally it needs to go in a built-in cupboard on top of the washing machine (on a shelf). Ideas welcome! Thanks!

Janh Fri 15-Jul-05 19:44:36

Is the cupboard anywhere near an outside wall, vess?

Janh Fri 15-Jul-05 19:45:17

(My dryer is in a cupboard on a shelf above the washer and it's vented outside)

vess Fri 15-Jul-05 20:06:02

Yes it is, Janh. So maybe a vented dryer is better? Does your dryer make the air hot or steamy? Or does it all go out? See, I thought (wrong!) that condensing means keeping it all in.
Do you recommend the vented type?

Janh Fri 15-Jul-05 20:11:47

Condenser ones aren't supposed to be steamy but I have heard that they can be; mine certainly isn't. And vented ones are much cheaper (a bonus! although as you already have a condenser, not so good!)

Mine doesn't make the room hot or steamy, but it's in the bathroom (in its cupboard) and on cool days when the heating isn't on I disconnect the vent hose and put a dry towel in and run it to warm up the bathroom.

I suppose this might be a bad time of year for you to judge how well it's working? And are you emptying the water container regularly? I think I would see how it goes before you decide to change.

SaintGeorge Fri 15-Jul-05 20:13:01

Condensing dryers are never 100% efficient at condensing all of the generated steam back into water and some inevitably escapes into the room.

Venting ones are always the better alternative, even more so if you can vent directly with a permanent pipe through the wall.

vess Fri 15-Jul-05 20:40:02

Ok, so it sounds like the vented type is better then. Should have asked before buying and not after! Only just bought it and tried it once, so maybe it's not too late to return it... will see.
The cuboard with the washing machine is in a room which used to be the kitchen but is now converted into a spare bedroom. That's why it shouldn't be too steamy.
Thanks for the replies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now