Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tripp Trapp vs Baby Dan?

(36 Posts)
Distracted Wed 13-Jul-05 14:29:41

Am thinking of buying maybe 2 Tripp Trapp chairs - one for 3 year old who sits at the table but is currently far too low on normal chairs and makes a lot of mess and one for 9 month old.

They're very expensive, particularly with all the baby attachments necessary for the 9 month old. The Baby Dan looks cheaper, although I'm not sure if the cushions etc. are included in the price and whether it converts from a highchair to a normal seat like the Tripp Trapp?

Can anyone tell me more about the Baby Dan or recommend one over the other?

geogteach Wed 13-Jul-05 14:36:14

Get the tchibo one, looks like tripp trap but costs £30. Juist bought it for my 4 year old for same reason you want one for your 3 year old, he loves it and had previously refused any type of high chair since 16 months!

bundle Wed 13-Jul-05 14:42:02

geog, i believe they only had them for a v ltd time, and they are no more

Distracted Wed 13-Jul-05 14:45:00

Have to say I've not heard of tchibo?

bundle Wed 13-Jul-05 14:47:05

our dd1 "gave" (though v reluctantly) her trip trapp to dd2 when she was born because dh refused to approve 2nd purchase . tchibo is bargain basement german store - some shops in london - though they do lots online. and sell nice coffee.

bundle Wed 13-Jul-05 14:47:48

Tchibo.co.uk

Hausfrau Wed 13-Jul-05 14:54:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

geogteach Wed 13-Jul-05 15:06:53

Only had mine a couple of weeks (bought online) and they were in a home shopping catalogue I got from them last week

Distracted Wed 13-Jul-05 15:44:07

Just had a look at the website and can't see anything there, although I've subscribed to their newsletter now as it looks like a good site, thanks

melgreenmum Wed 13-Jul-05 16:54:21

Try Svan - from mothercare - i have one and its fab - had all ages of babes in it and tray is easy pop on able. All in for £165 - often can get 10% discount on their stuff too.

katzguk Wed 13-Jul-05 16:57:21

an other vote for the tchibo one here, if you can get one. Some sommerfields stock there stuff

yoyo Wed 13-Jul-05 17:02:14

I bought a Baby Dan for my DD 6 years ago and it is now being used for DS. It has been dismantled several times and moved three times and has been great. They have been very helpful with new cushions, straps, etc too. Am just about to convert it to a normal seat for DS so will be using it for many years to come.

Distracted Wed 13-Jul-05 17:38:45

Yo Yo - the baby dan does convert to a normal seat like the Tripp Trapp then does it?

Do you know if the Baby Dan always comes WITH the baby seat and cushions included in the price, or is it like Tripp Trapp and you have to buy everything separately (I can't tell from the websites I've looked at)?

Distracted Wed 13-Jul-05 17:43:13

I've looked at the Svan on the mothercare website & I see they also do a Moizi, which is same kind of thing. BUT they're more expensive than Tripp Trapp and Baby Dan, so think I'd stick to Tripp Trapp with all the colour choices etc.

yoyo Wed 13-Jul-05 18:49:46

I got mine either from GLTC or JOJO (sorry can't remember which) and at that time it came with everything. You can remove the curved part that keeps the baby in and just have it as a chair with a footplate or as they get older use the footplate as the seat. There are also two different backs - high for younger baby. I really have no complaints about mine.

kate100 Wed 13-Jul-05 19:16:55

I bought a babydan, as it came with all the bits, the 2 different backs and the baby cusion. I got it because I couldn't see the difference between it and the trip trap and didn't see the point of spending the extra money on the different bits. DS loves it and it's very easy to clean.

Dalesgirl Thu 14-Jul-05 10:15:45

I bought a Tripp Trapp for my DS, it was OK at first but then he started to be able to push himself away from the table with his legs - we have a pine table which has a plinth-like piece of wood running just underneath the table top, the table also was on a large rug in the dining room so the back edges of the Tripp Trapp dug into the carpet. You can therefore imagine the upper part of the chair moving backwards and the bottom half staying still - you can also imagine what would happen next. Yes, you got it, the whole thing tipped backwards and took my son with it, he was trapped in his seat (he was young enough for the bumper bar and cushions to be on it) he smashed his head on a dresser directly behind where his chair was. Blood everywhere, I freaked out and thought he was dead!! He was OK, just a cut head and split lip, the Tripp Trapp (or Death Trapp as I like to call them) went out into to the garden in a flash...
Stokke were not interested in the least about this incident, I thought chair balance was an issue, they could only quote me sales figures and how marvellous it was for the family to be seated togther at the table...I took the whole lot back to my supplier and demanded a refund, which they gave me. It wasn't their fault, they had no support from Stokke on this issue and I felt a little sorry for them as they were only a small independant baby shop.
I went out and bought a traditional high chair from M'Care that was padded and had a tray with it. It's not great to look at but it didn't stop us eating as a family and it was 100% safer than the Tripp Trapp. Child 2 is due in a few days and the high chair will come out of storage once more. I know I am slightly biased but I would not be able to recommend the Tripp Trapp to anyone under any circumstances...sorry.

starrynight Thu 14-Jul-05 12:09:19

Neither for me - they are too expensive. My children have either had a seat attached to a normal chair (very cheap second hand) or....sat on a normal chair!

starrynight Thu 14-Jul-05 12:09:59

If you do want a highchair though I would go with Dalesgirl and just get an ordinary padded one.

starrynight Thu 14-Jul-05 12:10:23

I mean - your house is going to be completely covered in ugly coloured bits of plastic anyway!

koalabear Thu 14-Jul-05 12:40:42

whatever you do, don't buy a Svan - our 11 month old managed to rock his so much that it fell forward with him in it onto the hardwood floor - he did this three times before we migrated to the Trip Trapp - yes we have an active boy BUT i think it is a design fault - definitely NOT safe !

Tommy Thu 14-Jul-05 12:57:05

we have 2 tripp trapps but DS1 who is now 3y6m raraly sits in it anymore because he sees it as a "baby's chair". DS1 has no choice has he is still strapped in If (when?) we have another baby I can't see that we'd buy a third TT - so far, for us, it's not fulfilling the "grows with your child" criteria

sunnydelight Thu 14-Jul-05 14:31:52

We have two tripp trapps and love them. Bought one for DD (now 2 1/2) over a year ago when I needed a high chair, and obviously have now taken off the baby bits. The other one was for DS2 who was 5 at the time - I was fed up listening to DH give out to him at the table for slouching/not eating properly. Now he's at the correct height, and comfortable, mealtimes are a lot more pleasant!

I will use DS2's if he's not at the table as I find them really comfy and DS1 (nearly 12) is constantly moaning that we won't buy one for him too - I know I should in fairness but they are £100! A friend recently bought four (ater much deliberation) for her kids ages 2, 6, 8 and 11 - they all think they are fantastic.

Distracted Thu 14-Jul-05 22:18:19

Oh I'm not sure what to think now! Most people seem really positive, but Dalesgirl's story worries me! We too would be sitting the children under a pine table, with a plinth running just underneath & I can remember dd putting her feet on things and tipping backwards (ds hasn't had chance yet)!

With regard to getting a normal highchair, I do already have a prima Pappa (think that's what it was called!) which we inherited from family and used for dd (almost as expensive to buy new as a Tripp Trapp). I just hate it though! And it takes up so much space as we don't put it up to the table.

3 year old dd would benefit from something (not a highchair or booster as she's too old) to sit her up to the table at the right height (she insists on taking the cushions off the normal chair, making her sit even lower). Maybe I should just get one for her and not for 9 month old ds?

Have many other people had problems with Tripp Trapps tipping backwards? Are Baby Dans any better at this?

DelGirl Thu 14-Jul-05 22:53:16

I bought a tchibo one for dd the other week in a store in south london. They weren't on show so I just asked if they stocked them and they do, apparently all the time. Not sure if it's gonna be suitable for dd until she's toddler age so i've put in the garage for now. It was only £30 and looks well made so I thought it was worth hanging on to. Anyone else used their's from 6 mths or so?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now