Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Travel cots - is there any way to make them more comfortable?

(15 Posts)
IlanaK Wed 13-Jul-05 09:09:11

We are off on holiday for three weeks to my dad's place in Florida and need something for my 1 yaer old to sleep in. We looked at buying a cot over there, but they are just too expensive adn there is no hire place in Key West where he is. So, I need to take my travel cot, but I think the base is way too hard and uncomfortable for three weeks solid use. Is there anway to make it more comfy?

Nbg Wed 13-Jul-05 09:12:34

I used to put a child duvet on top of the base and then just use a blanket to cover your baby with.

dinny Wed 13-Jul-05 09:15:16

use a sheepskin? I got a really nice one that is for baby use and fits in travel cot v well.

gingerbear Wed 13-Jul-05 09:24:46

Why not hire a cot? (crib in USA) Not sure of the cost but you can get a quote:
this company has branches all over USA, including all parts of Florida

IlanaK Wed 13-Jul-05 10:32:45

Thanks for the link. That company does not cover Key West. KW is an island at the very south of the keys and it is about 4-5 hours drive from mainland. SO unless there is a branch on the island, noone will deliver to there.

I already have a sheepskin that he sleeps on, but even with that, I don't think there is enough padding to make it comfy. He is not a great sleeper and I don't want him sleeping less because of being uncomfy.

Is a duvet safe? I thought that anything loose could be pulled over the child and suffocate them?

MumsRCool Wed 13-Jul-05 10:53:58

I know what you meant about the hard bases on the travel cots. We recently spent 6 weeks travelling with one and what I did was use a fitted sheet with the duvet between the sheet and base. The fitted cot sheet prevented DS from being able to pull the duvet on to himself and he slept like a baby.......

Nbg Wed 13-Jul-05 10:58:56

I'm sure a duvet will be fine at 1yr old. Like I said I used one for my dd. We had an unfortunate incident involving lots of vomit which put the cot out of use for a few days while I tackled the matress so the travel cot came out for a few days then and a couple of weeks ago we went on holiday and did the same for a week. She is 21 months now.

I don't mean a full single duvet, one that is made for cots or cot beds will do.

gingerbear Wed 13-Jul-05 13:54:02

Aha!! No web site, but a phone number. Tada!!

Mom's Baby Equipment Rentals 10 Hilton Haven Road
Key West, Florida 33040
305-294-8645

I am v v pleased with my googling skills, I will soon be challenging Janh's World Title Champion Googler.

Hausfrau Wed 13-Jul-05 13:55:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HandbagAddiction Wed 13-Jul-05 13:56:22

We always put a think blanket on the base and then a fitted sheet over the top to keep it in place. DD then sleeps in a sleeping bag as normal.

HandbagAddiction Wed 13-Jul-05 13:56:50

Sorry meant THICK blanket not THINK!!

gingerbear Wed 13-Jul-05 13:58:22

Or (305) 296-7113

vicdubya Wed 13-Jul-05 14:01:58

You can buy matresses for travel cots in Mamas & Papas.

Not sure how practical it would be to transport if flying but it might be OK folded in a suitcase.

I always take ours if we are going anywhere more than 1 night.

IlanaK Thu 14-Jul-05 17:13:11

Thanks. I called that company about rental and it is actually cheaper for me to buy stuff like highchairs there than rent them! As for the bed, I will take the suggestions about using padding under a sheet.

Thanks again.

Mojomummy Thu 21-Jul-05 09:33:30

Mothercare do an ace travel cot matteress. It's padded & has the mesh covering which helps keeps the air flowing. We used it for our 2 week holiday this year & I think even I would have been happy sleeping on it ! AND it's only £20 & fits into suitcase

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now