Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

Travel cots - is there any way to make them more comfortable?

(15 Posts)
IlanaK Wed 13-Jul-05 09:09:11

We are off on holiday for three weeks to my dad's place in Florida and need something for my 1 yaer old to sleep in. We looked at buying a cot over there, but they are just too expensive adn there is no hire place in Key West where he is. So, I need to take my travel cot, but I think the base is way too hard and uncomfortable for three weeks solid use. Is there anway to make it more comfy?

Nbg Wed 13-Jul-05 09:12:34

I used to put a child duvet on top of the base and then just use a blanket to cover your baby with.

dinny Wed 13-Jul-05 09:15:16

use a sheepskin? I got a really nice one that is for baby use and fits in travel cot v well.

gingerbear Wed 13-Jul-05 09:24:46

Why not hire a cot? (crib in USA) Not sure of the cost but you can get a quote:
this company has branches all over USA, including all parts of Florida

IlanaK Wed 13-Jul-05 10:32:45

Thanks for the link. That company does not cover Key West. KW is an island at the very south of the keys and it is about 4-5 hours drive from mainland. SO unless there is a branch on the island, noone will deliver to there.

I already have a sheepskin that he sleeps on, but even with that, I don't think there is enough padding to make it comfy. He is not a great sleeper and I don't want him sleeping less because of being uncomfy.

Is a duvet safe? I thought that anything loose could be pulled over the child and suffocate them?

MumsRCool Wed 13-Jul-05 10:53:58

I know what you meant about the hard bases on the travel cots. We recently spent 6 weeks travelling with one and what I did was use a fitted sheet with the duvet between the sheet and base. The fitted cot sheet prevented DS from being able to pull the duvet on to himself and he slept like a baby.......

Nbg Wed 13-Jul-05 10:58:56

I'm sure a duvet will be fine at 1yr old. Like I said I used one for my dd. We had an unfortunate incident involving lots of vomit which put the cot out of use for a few days while I tackled the matress so the travel cot came out for a few days then and a couple of weeks ago we went on holiday and did the same for a week. She is 21 months now.

I don't mean a full single duvet, one that is made for cots or cot beds will do.

gingerbear Wed 13-Jul-05 13:54:02

Aha!! No web site, but a phone number. Tada!!

Mom's Baby Equipment Rentals 10 Hilton Haven Road
Key West, Florida 33040
305-294-8645

I am v v pleased with my googling skills, I will soon be challenging Janh's World Title Champion Googler.

Hausfrau Wed 13-Jul-05 13:55:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HandbagAddiction Wed 13-Jul-05 13:56:22

We always put a think blanket on the base and then a fitted sheet over the top to keep it in place. DD then sleeps in a sleeping bag as normal.

HandbagAddiction Wed 13-Jul-05 13:56:50

Sorry meant THICK blanket not THINK!!

gingerbear Wed 13-Jul-05 13:58:22

Or (305) 296-7113

vicdubya Wed 13-Jul-05 14:01:58

You can buy matresses for travel cots in Mamas & Papas.

Not sure how practical it would be to transport if flying but it might be OK folded in a suitcase.

I always take ours if we are going anywhere more than 1 night.

IlanaK Thu 14-Jul-05 17:13:11

Thanks. I called that company about rental and it is actually cheaper for me to buy stuff like highchairs there than rent them! As for the bed, I will take the suggestions about using padding under a sheet.

Thanks again.

Mojomummy Thu 21-Jul-05 09:33:30

Mothercare do an ace travel cot matteress. It's padded & has the mesh covering which helps keeps the air flowing. We used it for our 2 week holiday this year & I think even I would have been happy sleeping on it ! AND it's only £20 & fits into suitcase

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: