Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

baby swings VS. vibrating baby chairs

(20 Posts)
bebejam Tue 12-Jul-05 11:20:39

My apologies if this has already been discussed...

In the sage experience of mumsnetters (and their sprogs) which was the bigger baby pleaser, the chairs that swing or the chairs that vibrate?

Anyone one a real fan of a particular kind?

Thanks you for your advice!

starlover Tue 12-Jul-05 11:22:13

those vibrating things scare me!
ds had a regular bouncy chair and i WISH WISH WISH i had got him a swing instead

he is trying to sit up now and tips the bouncy chair up.

a swing would have been far more stable and he'd have been higher up so could see what we were doing.

Distel Tue 12-Jul-05 11:22:37

We had a vibrating chair and I don't think DS really liked it much. Loves a swing now (he is 1) so looking back we should have chosen a swing.

lockets Tue 12-Jul-05 11:22:41

Message withdrawn

Lizzylou Tue 12-Jul-05 11:33:53

We had a vibrating baby chair, but Ds didn't like it when it vibrated! He did love it when it was off tho. We were also given a swing by a kind friend and he loved this, we kept it in the kitchen for when I was cooking and the chair in the lounge...I loved both really

lilaclotus Tue 12-Jul-05 11:38:12

dd didn't like the vibrating. i will be getting a regular bouncer or a rocking type one.

imation Tue 12-Jul-05 14:58:22

vibrating bouncy chair from fisher-price was the best buy from 28 days till 7 months of his 1 st year! he loved it! me too! we've got graco swing as well. absolute money waste for us as the chair is so easy to move around the house!

jessicaandbumpsmummy Tue 12-Jul-05 15:07:15

we bought the travel lite swing and jess HATED it - ended up ebaying it when she was 4 months old because she screamed anywhere near it

hunkermunker Tue 12-Jul-05 15:26:57

Vibrating chair - although didn't necessarily have to vibrate (the batteries kept running out so it often didn't!). Had to have toys on the toy bar though - DS loved them.

Swings just take up far too much room. DS's bouncy chair is folded up under the bed in his room - took seconds to do, no disassembling, etc. Also he didn't really like the one we inherited. But all babies are different - wouldn't spend a fortune on a brand new swing - try to get a second-hand one. But a bouncy chair - not expensive to buy brand new.

Ameriscot2005 Tue 12-Jul-05 15:35:02

I bought a musical swing for my fifth child - received vouchers from DH's colleagues and didn't really need anything, so this was a luxury.

Overall, I thought it was a great thing, but you need a fair bit of floor space for a swing. They only last until the child is sitting up and attempting to climb out, so it's good if you are able to save it for a future child or pass it on to friends.

lockets Tue 12-Jul-05 15:37:24

Message withdrawn

fishie Wed 13-Jul-05 15:24:10

seconded imation, fp vibrating chair has been the absolute best and not too bad on batteries. he was a bit alarmed by vibrate at first, but loves it now and snoozes for far longer with it on (is a very wakeful baby). haven't tried a swing, didn't realise they could be used for so long - shall i get one too or do babies tend to prefer one or the other?

PandaBear Wed 13-Jul-05 15:37:18

We had a swing and both of our girls loved it. I'm actually now about to sell it, if anyone's interested, as DD2 has grown out of it and I'm not having any more!

maisiemog Fri 15-Jul-05 00:53:53

We have a mothercare vibrating chair, with an activity arch included. DS loved it, he did like the vibration, but you had to be careful, as it was easy to leave on by accident, and kill the batteries. I think it calmed him down.
He loved the activity arch and used it before he was big enough for a proper baby gym - improved his hand/eye.
It was easy to fold and store and I fed him in it for his first month of weaning, until he kept trying to sit up.
He did try a chair at a friend's house, sat for five minutes and then started to cry and wanted out.

Milliways Fri 15-Jul-05 07:42:01

We had a swing/low chair/high chair combination. It was FAB. Kept both kids happy for hours, then used as regular low/high chair.

JiminyCricket Fri 15-Jul-05 08:12:11

I'd vote for a swing - another advantage is when they want to be up higher (e.g. when you're eating dinner and they're too small for a high chair)the swing is just about right. dd loved hers and am about to get it out of the loft for no 2. Of course with all these things you have to decide how much baby clutter you want in your house, but we thought it was good value - there seem to be a lot of secondhand ones out there now too. The batteries last ages btw.

Windermere Fri 15-Jul-05 09:30:29

Swing. Ds has a vibrating chair and he has always been completely disinterested in it.

Flamesparrow Fri 15-Jul-05 09:46:59

Swing... DD hated the vibrating chair.

W0MBAT Fri 15-Jul-05 09:53:13

My dd loves her swing. If she's really unsettled, I'll put her in it and she'll calm down immediately.

Tried her in a friend's vibrating chair and she didn't like it one bit.

maisiemog Fri 15-Jul-05 13:09:52

You could go to John Lewis or ToysRus and try them both out?? We did that with the bumbo, and ds went WAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now