Talk

Advanced search

does anybody actuaaly like the way their house is lit and halogen lights are rubbish aren't they?

(37 Posts)
limoncello Sat 09-Jul-05 20:27:32

waht is the answer

KatyMac Sat 09-Jul-05 20:29:58

I have ambient lighting, task lighting and mood lighting in most rooms and just pick as needed

QZebra Sat 09-Jul-05 20:52:15

We have halogen lights (many tiny or small bright bulbs inset in the ceiling). In the bathroom it is too bright (so I took several bulbs out) and the other rooms it is too dark, light patchy!!

And they cost a fortune to replace.
Sorry, no answers, have other lamps in the relevant rooms, too.

bensmum3 Sun 10-Jul-05 00:04:47

My favourite light is when the power goes off and we have to use candles. (sorry not much help probably).

jura Mon 11-Jul-05 14:08:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fishfinger Mon 11-Jul-05 14:09:38

i have a bulbs and htink myself lucky
smbient lighting snurk

okapi Mon 11-Jul-05 14:11:29

we have 12 halogen spots in the kitchen and they are a pain in the ar$e as they keep blowing. Costs us a fortune

MaloryTowers Mon 11-Jul-05 14:12:30

MaloryTowers Mon 11-Jul-05 14:12:30

Listmaker Mon 11-Jul-05 14:14:40

My halogens have been great on the whole. A couple have blown the transformers and have been a pain to replace but there are some that I've still never had to replace in nearly 9 years!

I have halogen spot lights and lamps and fancy spot lights on a track across the kitchen and dangly blue lights over the dining table (my exp was into lighting!!).

NomDePlume Mon 11-Jul-05 14:17:27

Lamps, lamps, lamps, even in the hall and on the landing. HATE using the 'big light' (the one on the ceiling), it just looks really cold and clinical, no matter how dim the bulbs are.

We have halogen in the kitchen, ensuite and bathrooms though, where you need a decent level of light.

NomDePlume Mon 11-Jul-05 14:18:29

Should say that even though we hardly ever use the ceiling lights in our house, they do all have nice light fittings and not a horrible wire pendant dangling

fishfinger Mon 11-Jul-05 14:25:40

i dont like light fitiings thats my problem

any of htem really

ninah Mon 11-Jul-05 14:31:43

a nice standard lamp

jura Mon 11-Jul-05 14:31:43

ninah Mon 11-Jul-05 14:32:06

i really don't like halogen tho

jura Mon 11-Jul-05 14:34:25

CountessDracula Mon 11-Jul-05 14:48:23

halogen are great, you have to have on dimmer though unless you like wearing shades inside.

I agree, lamps etc are the biz. Central lighting makes your house look like a squat imo

ninah Mon 11-Jul-05 14:55:14

unless it's a chandelier

SofiaAmes Mon 11-Jul-05 23:31:10

Ok. I do antique chandeliers in center of all main rooms. In bathrooms and kitchen I do halogens, BUT make sure that you use the halogen bulbs that have a frosted face. I always have additional low level lighting controlled by a motion sensor in my bathrooms. And EVERY light has to be on a dimmer.

lemonice Tue 12-Jul-05 08:52:33

Sofia

Light controlled by a motion sensor in the bathroom can you explain more..I am intrigued what is it and why?

I'm afraid we have pendants in the kitchen attached with insulating tape and a lot of nasty brass effect wall lights hanging off by a thread with broken bulb holders and dead bulbs and some very ancient lampshades from the 1950s that were here when we moved in 5 years ago, we no longer have any fluorescent tubes though...inertia has set in as I don't actually like anything I see...

hatstand Tue 12-Jul-05 08:56:35

does anybody elses halogen bulbs "go" all the time. We never have all our kitchen bulbs working at once for more than about 5 minutes. Is it something about them or did we get fleeced by the dodgy electrician who put them in?

lemonice Tue 12-Jul-05 09:01:16

They will blow if they get too hot they need air circulation space in the void, you can get a hoody for them to help prevent fire but that also can make them too hot.

Enid Tue 12-Jul-05 09:14:09

We have low ceilings so no pendants downstairs but I love the fact we have a 5 amp light circuit so all the little side lamps come on with a flick of the wall switch.

hate halogen lighting - we had it in one place and wouldnt have it again, even the frosted ones. But we do live in an old cottage so it doesnt really 'go' here anyway.

Dh is very particular about lighting so we have lots and lots of nice lamps.

ninah Tue 12-Jul-05 09:39:51

oh someone else who hates it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now