Talk

Advanced search

Is worth buying a pushchair in The States?

(23 Posts)
MrsDoolittle Sat 09-Jul-05 19:10:12

Does anyone know how much cheaper pushchairs are in America?
We are going away for a month at the end of August, our first stop is a few days in Seattle.
Would it be worth buying a buggy for two while I'm out there?

We'll be carrying on to NZ for three weeks before going straight home.

hunkermunker Sat 09-Jul-05 19:12:02

Depends if it's likely to break...

MrsDoolittle Sat 09-Jul-05 19:13:30

Huh? Why would it break?

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sat 09-Jul-05 19:14:51

Travelling with it - you obviously need to get it to NZ and then back here... personalyl i wouldnt.

munz Sat 09-Jul-05 19:14:56

would u have to pay any duties your end of the journey in the UK u normally have to pay customs duties and vat etc..

MrsDoolittle Sat 09-Jul-05 19:17:58

Awww shucks! Hardly sounds worth it!
I just thought they were loads cheaper over there.
I am thinking a might need a double buggy - dd is 15 14 months and I'm 8 weeks pregnant. But I don't want to spend a fortune on one. If I can get away without it, I will.

hunkermunker Sat 09-Jul-05 19:18:20

Yes, travelling with it. Plus I know if I bought something from thousands of miles away, it would break and I'd be unable to take it back!

MrsDoolittle Sat 09-Jul-05 19:18:26

nearly 15 months!!

MrsDoolittle Sat 09-Jul-05 19:19:11

I see now hunkermunker. Are you getting a double buggy? When are you due?

purpleturtle Sat 09-Jul-05 19:19:25

I think you'd be better off to wait and see whether you need one, then get a second hand one. Chances are you'll be able to get one that's not been used very much.

hunkermunker Sat 09-Jul-05 19:20:06

Yes, will be getting one. Am due on 14th January.

Not sure which yet...soooo much choice! We have a teeny hallway though, so having a difficult time deciding!

MrsDoolittle Sat 09-Jul-05 19:20:32

I think you're right purpleturtle.

MrsDoolittle Sat 09-Jul-05 19:21:13

I'm due February 21. I think I'll hang on though.

QZebra Sat 09-Jul-05 19:26:00

The duty on pushchairs is really low, will look it up if you want... hold on...

FIMAC1 Sat 09-Jul-05 19:26:30

Why don't you check on a website like Walmart, or babiesrus (us sites) and see what they are in $ - at least will give you some idea of the saving (or not)

Graco is American so would prob be cheaper

QZebra Sat 09-Jul-05 19:28:38

Duty on "baby carriages" is 2.7%, not 15% (which is import duty on most goods). Vat is 17.5%, levied on the purchase price (not including any local states sales tax imposed)+duty. hth

FIMAC1 Sat 09-Jul-05 19:29:46

For instance this is on Walmarts website (would be about £45'ish)

Evenflo Take Me Too Tandem Stroller, Turquoise Plaid

$89.76

IN STOCK

The Evenflo Take Me Too Tandem Stroller provides optimal parent convenience at a value price. The Take Me Too is the only stroller with MyStep side entry access to allow easy in and out for toddlers. It offers the most compact fold without having to remove any parts, and holds most major infant car seats in the rear seat.

MrsDoolittle Sat 09-Jul-05 19:42:41

Thank you ladies, I will check some American websites as you suggest.

bran Sat 09-Jul-05 20:11:23

What about buying it in NZ? If you go for a Kiwi brand it ought to be quite cheap there. (I'm guessing this, so I could be completely wrong.)

NotQuiteCockney Sat 09-Jul-05 20:13:34

McLaren strollers are really expensive in North America. I'd be cautious about buying many American brands, as I suspect they suck.

FIMAC1 Sat 09-Jul-05 21:42:03

Agree about McLaren being expensive in the US - I splashed out when pg there and bought a Peg Prego (sp) as the sales woman explained it was far better quality than the US made ones! - have to agree with her as it lasted both my children -Graco seem quite 'plasticy' as do some of the other American makes - although tend to be much cheaper than some UK ones

bebejam Mon 11-Jul-05 11:52:33

The other thing to keep in mind is that unlike in the UK- American websites DO NOT include state sales tax on items. (This is usually figured in at the end during "check out")

Sales tax varies from state to state. A few states, like Oregon, do not have sales tax... but in most states it is between 6 to 9%.

You could probably find out the state sales tax somewhere on the net.

Chuffed Mon 11-Jul-05 12:37:56

MrsD if you are 'using the buggy' you shouldn't have to pay any vat etc on a buggy.
We are investigating doubles at the mo too, am split between E3 and MarcoSkyL. The E3 will be cheaper in NZ if you sway that way.
From a tax point of view when ordering in the states often you can avoid the tax if they send it out of state that the shop is in. We have got around this for some camera gear by buying from New York and getting it shipped to New Jersey it ends up being tax free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now