Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pilkington K glass

(9 Posts)
AuntyQuated Sat 09-Jul-05 12:05:18

does anyone have this?

we recently had some windows fitted and they have the obligatory k glass but they look crap! grey looking like old fashioned grey tints on glasses and have a mottled effect.
does anyone knoiw if this is normal or are they faulty??
tia

SaintGeorge Sat 09-Jul-05 12:16:00

Don't think the 'k' glass should be mottled but will check with dh when he gets home - they do a lot of glazing at work so he should know.

Are you sure it is just 'k' glass they have used? Pilkington do other glazing products like 'optima' which is slightly tinted for thermal reasons. Or there is the new self cleaning stuff - I think that has a coating of some kind in it.

SaintGeorge Sat 09-Jul-05 12:17:03

Oh - and this might be a realllllly stupid question, but did the glazers remember to remove the non-scratch film?

fishfinger Sat 09-Jul-05 12:17:38

we have self cleaning on our conserv roof but its not made by them
weve had it for two years and yes have never cleaned the roof
bird poo disappears after a rain shower

AuntyQuated Sat 09-Jul-05 12:23:02

hmmm...sg...will go and see if there are any clues to whether it has been taken off or not.

i htink it is just k glass as we didn't pay any extra

fishfinger Sat 09-Jul-05 12:23:49

tee hee at AQ wiht blacked out windows liek a gangsta

AuntyQuated Sat 09-Jul-05 12:26:49

b gger off coddy

no sign of any film

am off to vigourously clean inside and out of one bit (don't want to overwork myself)

SaintGeorge Sat 09-Jul-05 19:12:29

Checked with DH, who double checked with a glazier friend.

Pilkington K does come in a tinted varient but only if you ask for it. Normally it should look like any other glass, you should only be able to tell it is 'k' glass by the safety mark.

He recommends that you ask the window installer/supplier to come back and check it. If they are double glazed units, it is possible that the glass has been put into the frames backwards (the coating has to be on the correct side to work) although he doesn't think that would make a difference to the colour anyway.

HTH

AuntyQuated Sat 09-Jul-05 20:08:22

thanks SG

have rang company who installed them and they are going to send someone out. if i don't get any joy from them i will ring pilkingtons. i reckon they are in the wrong way round plus as i cleaned them before i discovered one has a 'graze' on the inside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now