Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HELP - stain on sofa

(11 Posts)
GeorginaA Wed 06-Jul-05 11:08:24

Yes yes, I know I was really stupid getting a cream sofa in the first place, it sort of made sense at the time as we have a small house and it makes the room look bigger... and I didn't realise just how sicky ds2 would be.

Anyway, he threw up TOAST of all things yesterday. They're washable covers so they immediately went in the wash - I didn't think toast sick would be that indelible so foolishly didn't pretreat with anything. Problem - the stain didn't come out.

I can't just flip the cushion over as we have a bright yellow stain on the other side, which I can only assume was an escaped amoxycillin drip at some point (and must have flipped the cushion for the reason THAT one didn't come out either). Have looked at the prices for replacement covers AND NEARLY DIED OF SHOCK - will cost us almost as much as the sofa cost us, so that is not an option.

Don't want to go the throw route.

Anyone got a CAST IRON recommendation for a stain remover suitable for a fabric sofa that can go in a 40 (delicate) wash?

Please?

Before I throw up my hands in despair of ever having anything nice ever again?

And sob lots?

...?

Twiglett Wed 06-Jul-05 11:10:16

not cast iron no .. as its been washed already I would worry that the stain has been set but I would try

spraying with vanish stain remover

then soaking in Glo-white

then washing again with glo-white

hopefully someone has a better idea though

how irritating

SoupDragon Wed 06-Jul-05 11:12:14

What fabric is it?

Try soaking it in biological powder.

Puff Wed 06-Jul-05 11:13:58

Georgina, if the covers are safe to pre-soak, I'd recommend trying napisan. I had some pillow cases with really old waterproof mascara stains on them. Nothing shifted them, then I soaked them overnight in napisan, added it to the wash and they came out good as new.

Branster Wed 06-Jul-05 11:14:57

pre-treat with ACE (test on a corner first just to make sure, but it should be OK), then wash in the washing machine by adding 2 scoops of Oxy-clean to the detergent in the tray.
Or pre-treat with Vanish Spray.
I think Daz washing powder/or liquid is quite good at taking out stains at low temperatures too.

GeorginaA Wed 06-Jul-05 11:17:43

Just reread the label and it says do not soak So a pre-treat spray thing is going to my best bet, yes?

GeorginaA Wed 06-Jul-05 12:18:35

Right, well I've been down the shops - found the vanish oxy something or other (upholstry spray) and the oxi clean stuff. Couldn't find ACE in our Tesco. Going to try them - feel like the stain can't get any worse so haven't really got anything to lose at this point.

Will let you know if I have any joy!

Twiglett Wed 06-Jul-05 12:44:27

worst comes to the worst could you try colour stripping then dying them??

Mamatoto Wed 06-Jul-05 12:59:07

I would spray with vanish spray ( it IS good) and then wash BOTH covers together with a biological powder!

GeorginaA Wed 06-Jul-05 20:50:32

cry

Still there. Much faded though so I guess I'll have to live with it and hope that with successive washes it'll fade to not noticing.

Bizarrely the yellow (amoxycillin?) stain has now turned a russet red colour... very odd.

Oh well. Just going to have to admit to myself that having "nice stuff" doesn't work until the kids have gone to secondary school or maybe left home.

Thanks all for the advice.

Branster Wed 06-Jul-05 21:58:31

try rubbing teh stain with a mixture of damp oxyclean and fairy liquid (alternate between them). takes ages but it might work and you have to do it gently. this usually gets rid of all my stains. starnge about the stain changing colour though....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now