Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for telephone combined with internet provider (not broadband)

(17 Posts)
shrub Mon 04-Jul-05 20:21:42

We've just got our phone bill and it has motivated me to find a cheaper alternative. Has anyone got any recommendations for a telephone package combined with the internet -not broadband but the plug in to the phone connection thing (not very technically minded!)At the moment we're with bt and yahoo email pay as you go

Mosschops30 Mon 04-Jul-05 20:22:27

Message withdrawn

spidermama Mon 04-Jul-05 20:28:31

NTL man came round this evening but I was in the middle of doing kids tea so sent him away. I need to research this matter too.

shrub Mon 04-Jul-05 20:31:54

when i signed up to the yahoo thing i thought i would be really good and only go online occasionally and in the evenings but since having ds3 (10 weeks ago) i go online when i can....

spidermama Mon 04-Jul-05 20:58:22

Three in need of help now so bump.

shrub Mon 04-Jul-05 21:14:02

as no reply trying to research via www.moneysavingexpert.com. have found link for cheapest dial up isp but not combined with telephone package.
anyone?

nooka Mon 04-Jul-05 21:54:43

Why not broadband? It's great not having to worry about connection charges, and leaves the phone free too (but then we do watch digital TV, and have very low phone bills). We pay NTL about £50/£60 a month all in. I think that pay as you go internet accounts are an expensive option unless you really don't use the internet very much.

MrsWednesday Mon 04-Jul-05 22:00:36

We've just signed up with NTL on their three for 30 quid (a month) offer for cable telly, phone and broadband. It was a bit of hassle getting it set up and I'm not actually sure what the phone bills are compared to BT as I haven't had a bill yet, but the broadband and telly are great.

SofiaAmes Tue 05-Jul-05 07:53:02

ntl sucks!!!!!!!! I had nothing but trouble with them. I now have sky for tv, bt for phone line and Zen for dsl. I am thoroughly happy with all of them and although they aren't quite the cheapest, they are completely trouble free.

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Jul-05 08:02:03

We've got telewest broadband as does practically everyone I know here. We pay £60/month for broadband (not the most basic but not the fastest possible, in between one), unlimited phone calls and a load of tv channels inc cbeebies. No problem with any of it. I've heard bad stuff about ntl too. Why not broadband? Dial up is a pain imo!

SofiaAmes Tue 05-Jul-05 08:04:45

I think it depends on your area. Some areas have better cable lines (broadband runs on cable lines) and some areas have better phone lines (dsl runs on phone lines). Ask your neighbors what they have and whether it's any good. ALL my neighbors switched from ntl to bt/sky over the last few years and no one has regretted it.

shrub Tue 05-Jul-05 12:08:16

we don' t have cable in the area

shrub Tue 05-Jul-05 13:27:18

anyone?

Lucycat Tue 05-Jul-05 13:30:09

MrsWednesday, with ntl if you have the whole caboodle, you won't pay any line rental, so it's just the cost of the calls. Ours is about £5 a month cos I now use email or msn. ( and don't want to talk to anyone!!)

shrub Tue 05-Jul-05 13:51:49

whats dsl? have been looking on ntl website as they offer (hope i've understood this correctly) telephone eve and weekends and unlimited dial up internet for £17.99 a month though not sure about line rental?
what i'm ideally looking for is a good deal for gas/elec/tel/dial up internet in one package.

SofiaAmes Tue 05-Jul-05 15:34:33

shrub, I don't think dsl is offered by ntl. If you don't have cable in the area, then you will have to have dsl if you want high speed internet. If you are happy with just a dial up service for internet, then there are probably better companies than ntl. This website is a non-partisan site that has lots of really good information on dsl and the best companies. By the way, I don't think that it works out any cheaper to get these all in one packages. Get your electric and gas from the same company to get the best price and then get the other things for the company that does it best.

shrub Fri 08-Jul-05 18:46:56

only just signed on today (trying to ration myself!) thanks SofiaAmes, I'm off to check out the link x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now