Talk

Advanced search

Scalectrix - Which ones are good? Where can I get one by Friday?

(11 Posts)
Magscat Mon 04-Jul-05 13:34:42

Have spent weeks dithering about what to get ds for his 4th birthday on Sat. Decided on a scalectrix type kit. No idea what's available.
Any ideas. Round £20-30 would be good & must be available on the High Street.

RTKangaMummy Mon 04-Jul-05 13:49:18

we got ds one from argos called CRASH N BASH

DEFFO BRILL

RTKangaMummy Mon 04-Jul-05 13:54:53

sorry just looked it up

not on sale there and is £70

but would get a small one but a REAL ONE imho

FIMAC1 Mon 04-Jul-05 14:53:27

Bash N Crash - deffo - dh & ds have stacks and this one is very good - won a best 'Boys Toy' in a male mag I remember - You wont get much for 20-30 I afraid - second hand is best at this age if you can locate some (EBay is good) as it is fairly delicate

macwoozy Mon 04-Jul-05 15:41:21

Beware of 2nd hand scalextric though, I bought 2nd hand twice and both times it didn't work well, so I ended up buying new in the end. Toys R Us have alot to choose from. I bought 'Hot Pursuit', it's great fun, the police car has a siren which flashes on and off. Although I think you'd be looking at around £70.

In ARgos/Index they've got 'My First scalextric', for about £30, its quite a small track but might be ideal for a 4 year old.

FIMAC1 Mon 04-Jul-05 16:19:18

Agree actually about the second hand - we have a stack of track and cars now, the older stuff doesn't go as fast as the new track and cars - dh likes collecting the 70's cars though and track that isn't avaliable anymore, as he's a bit of an anorack about it

The trouble with the smallers scale scalextric is that they outgrow it pretty fast and its not compatable with the regular track

GeorginaA Mon 04-Jul-05 17:04:11

don't get cheap knockoffs - ds1's grandparents bought him a cheapy set (not official scalectrix) and it honestly didn't last a day (ds1 is 4 and is not overly careless with toys). May have been cheap, but it was a complete waste of money. We'll probably wait and get him a "proper" scalectrix when both boys are at an age where they'll appreciate it and take better care of it.

FIMAC1 Mon 04-Jul-05 17:36:51

Sets are quite often reduced after Christmas if you keep your eyes open

M&S had a fab Starsky and Hutch one reduced after Christmas - as the cars can go for about £40 each the sets are very good value anyway and even better in the sales!

Magscat Mon 04-Jul-05 19:19:20

Thanks. I think you're right that I need to revise my idea of cost. But then, dp has just admitted he wants to play with it too so spending more on something they'll both enjoy seems ok.

vickiyumyum Mon 04-Jul-05 19:31:41

uumm, my ds1 and dh begged me for a scarletrix (?) for xmas and it has come out of the box once on xmas day! it cost about £60/70 and is the one with teh figure of eight track and ford focus cars (i think that it may be cheaper now). it is quite a good set but would def buy th cheapest 'real' set and see how they play with that before buying as bigger set.

FIMAC1 Mon 04-Jul-05 21:25:41

We bought the first set as a 'joint' Christmas present for dh and ds from Santa

dh plays with it more than ds! it is nice to have a hobby they are both interested in, bonding and all thatn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: