Talk

Advanced search

Lego

(24 Posts)
pleaserewind Thu 30-Jun-05 13:17:52

what type of lego for a 5 year old? i want to get a biggish box.

Lonelymum Thu 30-Jun-05 13:20:52

Depends how good they are with it. My ds1 is very good with lego and could eaily do models meant for children older than him.

Is it a five year old boy or girl? They do gender specific lego now you know!

You can get little kits which a five year oold might find quite challenging. Hold on while I find a link.

Lonelymum Thu 30-Jun-05 13:22:43

this sort of thing

Lonelymum Thu 30-Jun-05 13:23:21

Or just browse the whole lego website for ideas.

Fimbo Thu 30-Jun-05 13:24:07

Or visit a Lego shop. There's one at Bluewater, not sure about anywhere else.

Marina Thu 30-Jun-05 13:29:46

There is also GURL Lego called Belville for fans of Barbie (originally typed Barfie...)
What else does the 5 year old like pleaserewind? You can basically get Lego Technics, themed boxes such as Star Wars or Harry Potter, or Builder/Create which are more like olde-time Lego (doors, ordinary bricks etc)

pleaserewind Thu 30-Jun-05 13:32:26

thanx, i'll have a look on the website. it's for a boy, think traditional type will probably be best. Theres so much of it !

RTKangaMummy Thu 30-Jun-05 13:34:25

these sets are good cos you can make several designs from one set

DS has several of these

TITAN is very difficult and too hard for 5 year old though is is for 9 years and that is about right IMHO

DS has harry potter, star wars, orintal express, train sets, and regular bricks

we have a LEGO addict with DS

Is it your DS/DD or for a pressie???

Marina Thu 30-Jun-05 13:40:21

Does he already do Lego? I'd say a nice big bucket of Builder/Create for a novice.
There is an alternative...we got some terrific and bizarrely discontinued Jack Stone on ebay recently. I liked Jack Stone because the little figures were bigger than the teeny, annoying little Harry Potter/Star Wars men. Perfect size for 5-6 IMO.
If second-hand via ebay is at all viable, I really would recommend Jack Stone if you want themed stuff. Whyohwhy did they stop making it? No wonder the company is in trouble

Lonelymum Thu 30-Jun-05 13:41:58

Is it Marina?

I thought my family kept Lego going single handedly!

Marina Thu 30-Jun-05 13:48:19

It's why the Lego shop in Bluewater downsized somewhat. Apparently they over-extended themselves in terms of product ranges which is why they discontinued all sorts of my favourites - Jack Stone, the lovely Duplo dollies for toddlers (got those on ebay too), that gorgeous music machine also for toddlers.
The problem is compounded by the fact that although people are still buying plenty of Lego it is not being played with through to teenagerhood as was formerly the case. Children are "moving on" from it far earlier than ten or 20 years ago. Heck, I still play with ours and ds and dd have all my old yellowing sixties and seventies stuff
They are even contemplating selling Legoland Windsor apparently.

Lonelymum Thu 30-Jun-05 13:51:43

Ds1 turned nine last week and he still asked for and received the latest Star Wars model for his birthday, as he has had every year since he was 4. The model is quite complex too. I know because ds2 dropped it one day when he was off school and it took me 2 and a half hours to rebuild it so ds1 wouldn't kill his younger brother!

I wonder how much longer ds1 will enjoy Lego?

Legoland is the only theme park we have been to. The kids loved it I have to say.

RTKangaMummy Thu 30-Jun-05 17:34:55

DS is 10 and is the same all pocket money and pressies are lego lego lego etc.

Marina Thu 30-Jun-05 17:36:11

I doubt if Legoland would shut. It is hugely successful and a good way of them getting a pile of cash PDQ.
RTKM, that gives me hope that ds will continue to love his Lego for many years to come

RTKangaMummy Thu 30-Jun-05 17:45:16

DS is deffo addicted

He and his friends even wrote a comic story about lego charcters they made up

He has lego star wars playstation game, gets the memebers magazine

It is good thing we have 2 houses cos his both bedrooms are taken over with lego

He has it in rollaway boxes under his bed, in boxes on wheels so I can clean his floor

The sets don't get taken down after being built they stay up IYSWIM

He designs his own models as well

So it deffo has longivity to it can't see him stopping in near future

bundle Thu 30-Jun-05 18:12:51

sigh. marina, I sooooo wish you hadn't told me about lego for girls. i feel a transaction coming on....sigh.

batters Thu 30-Jun-05 18:16:46

dd and I went to Legoland recently. It was a long 9 hours.

Enid Thu 30-Jun-05 18:21:11

I have two girls (5 and nearly 3) and recently bought our first lot of lego. Its a Creator set and is basically lots of pieces with an instruction book with lots of different things to make - we all love it and sit for ages making the things, even the 2 year old.

Enid Thu 30-Jun-05 18:39:50

this is a good deal
massive lego box from argos

Marina Thu 30-Jun-05 18:43:42

Dd, also two, adores Lego too enid. It must be a younger sibling thing but she will barely touch the age appropriate Duplo she has.

The dollies, Sarah and Anna, are beautifully made (anyone remember Amanda-Jane, but not ugly like she was).

I can totally recommend ebay for non-presents. We have beefed up our collection very effectively.
Lego is MY top toy too...

Enid Thu 30-Jun-05 18:47:39

dolls? duplo? beautifully made?

where, where, where?

Marina Fri 01-Jul-05 10:13:11

Here for dolly Anna
Sarah is the same with a cute red top and stripy leggings, plus dark hair.
Seller of this particular dolly is very good (and no it is NOT me!)

batters Fri 01-Jul-05 11:25:13

I refuse to look at Marina's links as I always, always end up buying stuff from them.

cupcakes Fri 01-Jul-05 11:34:19

I think I read that Legoland might be sold off, still to be run as 'Legoland' but with someone else reaping the profits.
My ds is 5 and he is particularly keen on their knights kingdom range. I think it is for older boys so he did need some help constructing his knight.
Other than that he is more than happy with loads of lego bricks (the proper size, not duplo) and a couple of the boards to build on, especially the ones with roads marked on or the moonscape ones - those might be really old though, from dh's childhood collection!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now