Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone recently bought a washing machine that they're happy with?

(28 Posts)
wilbur Thu 30-Jun-05 12:44:32

I need to get a new washer and am looking for one of the bigger capacity ones (at least 7kg) that has a handwash facility. After that I'm not bothered but was wondering about all these hi-tech sensors, wash controls and so on that new machines have these days. Does anyone have a model with these kinds of things on them? Are they worth it? Any feedback on the different makes would be v. much appreciated as I've never bought a new one before, always inherited a washer with wherever I've moved to.

blondehelen Thu 30-Jun-05 12:52:19

I am currently waiting in for washing machine repair man from Comet. My washing machine is 41/2 years old and bearings went. Broke on 9th May. It is a hotpoint WMA60 ultima which apparantly has a design fault so all I can say is don't buy one of those. Comet are about to replace the fourth part on it Also I wouldn't buy from Comet again their service is rubbish although engineers have been good. Have wasted alot of time and money waiting in for visits and on the phone getting very cross

blondehelen Thu 30-Jun-05 12:55:42

have a look at this

Kidstrack2 Thu 30-Jun-05 13:19:30

Just bought the Hot Point Ultima 6kg Power Stream Wash. Fantastic machine cost 300pound but well worth it! I found it hard to get anything over 6.5kg load washing machine!

Kidstrack2 Thu 30-Jun-05 13:24:10

Oh god blondehelen had to rush and look at my machine there! But luckily my model no is WMA74 so hope there is no fault with mine at some point!

wilbur Thu 30-Jun-05 13:24:33

Thanks for the warning about Comet, blondehelen, sorry you've had such hassle. That site is interesting although a few of the reviews are several years out of date. People seem to like Bosch and Dyson - anyone got any thoughts on either of these?

Kidstrack2 Thu 30-Jun-05 13:40:23

I just think the Dyson are overpriced when you can pay less for the same type but obviously different make and model. As long as they get the clothes clean!

lunachic Thu 30-Jun-05 13:43:31

mum bought a hoover washer drier from comet last month and shes pleased with it they came out right away when she said the machine didnt take powder on certain cycles only to find she was using wrong drawer!! maybe depends on your area as to the service
my dad has had 2 bosch washing machines(not cheap at about £400ish ) that have broken within a year and they usually come highly recommended(they are good when theyre workin! lots of useful programmes) hes on his third replacement one now and thats ok

lunachic Thu 30-Jun-05 13:44:42

would love a dyson to fit in extra large loads and kingsize quilts ! agree they are a bit pricey

whiteriver Thu 30-Jun-05 13:51:56

Really fed up with my 2 month old Candy CNA135. It came with a smashed drawer, had to wait in for 2/3 visits while they sorted the new part. Still leaked. Made another appointment 8.30-1.00 one morning had to go to a funeral at 1. Left house at five mins to, got a card on our return saying he'd appeared at 12.58pm. Will now have to pay a £25 fee if we want to see an engineer to fix the leak which they didn't fix in the first place.

How bad is that?

blondehelen Thu 30-Jun-05 14:03:11

oops sorry wilbur, didn't check that Has been a while since I used the site. Am still waiting in for Comet, supposed to be a morning call

crunchie Thu 30-Jun-05 14:06:26

Bosch bosch bosch!!! Only 6kg but a brilliant machine

Millie1 Thu 30-Jun-05 14:06:59

I got a Bosch last September .... love it but about 3 wks in it got really noisy when spinning. Engineer said it was unbalanced and 'fixed' it but after a few more washes it was as noisy as ever. Same engineer was here just today (cooker this time!) but machine was spinning whilst he was here so he took another look at it. Seems there was a bit of friction between front panel of machine and whatever sits behind. He put a rubber washer inbetween and .... voila, it's like having a new machine and it's sooooooooooo quiet again.

Apart from that, it's a brilliant machine - fast, washes well and has a child lock (thank heavens!) - totally recommend!!

Aero Thu 30-Jun-05 14:16:49

Recently bought a Hoover Nextra 1200, 6kg capacity and AAA energy rating as my last one (also a Hoover) finally died after 11.5 years of loyal service with no breakdowns. Have no complaints so far and it has plenty of porgrammes and a variable temperature dial. Also has a countdown timer so I know how long is left on a wash.

Aero Thu 30-Jun-05 14:17:47

ps - saved about £50 off the shop floor price by buying online from Currys.

lunachic Thu 30-Jun-05 15:39:11

chandra runner beans-about 4 inches long thin and green !!hth !! (find them on the fresh veg counter )

ScrewballMuppet Thu 30-Jun-05 15:43:26

Bought a Bosch classixx 1200 Express a few months ago and it does the job.

Fio2 Thu 30-Jun-05 16:15:25

believe or not I bought exactly the same model as Aero a few months ago with 50 quid off from Currys online

hiow blumin weird Aero!!!!

and it gets white white with a non bio, which i am really happy about and the quick wash feature and fast wash feature are really good

Prettybird Thu 30-Jun-05 16:44:59

Whiteirver - I'd go back and complain, and say you had made it clear that you needed to leave the house at 1pm - so you were perfectly "netitiled" to leave the house at 5 to 1, as the negineer wasn't going to be able to come in to the house and fix it in 5 minutes.

And state forecefully that given that you had waited in all morning, you do not expect to pay a £25 call out fee, as they have still not rectified the problem.

As for the question on this thread, we've had a Zanussi washer/dryer for avout 11 years with no real faults. Think it's not quite so efficient now - and am lusting after a Bosch or Miele - or any washing machine that does a hand wash cycle, as any clothes needing handwashing languish at the bottom of my wash basket literally for years as I detest handwashing.

wilbur Thu 30-Jun-05 17:49:39

Oooh, all sorts of exciting options! Child locks, countdown timers, hadn't thought of those! Thanks everyone. Am going to check out which and I think Good Housekeeping did a comparison recently, or so someone said.

Whiteriver - agree with prettybird, give them hell about being so crap. FWIW, we've got a Candy dishwasher and that's rubbish too, unless you don't mind eating off last night crusted on food. Yuck.

Aero Fri 01-Jul-05 14:34:52

Fio - How strange!! I like those fast- wash options too.

Twiglett Fri 01-Jul-05 14:52:10

shit just got a candy dishwasher delivered .. its integrated and its replacing a bosch non-integrated

is it a really crap make??

triplets Fri 01-Jul-05 19:35:48

Hi,
I bought this year an LG Intellowasher, large capacity, big door, absolutely fantastic. Having triplets its full every day. Its got child lock, delay timer etc which I find good if I want to go to bed early before the economy 7 time. Also its got a 1400 spin speed, makes such a difference as I tumble dry all the time, so now I only need to tumble on low for half the time I did. I also find the clothes come clean when washed on 40, my old machine a Zanussi would have washed at 60 to get the same level of whiteness! Highly recommended, we paid £385 but they are lower now.

irishbird Fri 01-Jul-05 19:54:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yorkiegirl Fri 01-Jul-05 19:55:49

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now