Talk

Advanced search

Should I buy a double buggy? Please just tell me. (dd will be 3)

(76 Posts)
morningpaper Mon 27-Jun-05 21:51:18

DD will be 3 when baby is born. DD doesn't really walk much. Most people have said that double buggies are such a PITA that it's better to try slings/buggy boards. I've got two nice 'carrycot' style prams under my bed. But I think a compact double one will be better. Please just tell me what to do, my pregnant brain is incapable of making any further decisions.

Flum Mon 27-Jun-05 21:53:10

Let the lazy tike walk FFS. Unless double buggy is for her to push tired mummy and new baby around in.

Double buggies are the spawn of the devil.

morningpaper Mon 27-Jun-05 21:55:37

Oh

But she's so TEENY. She's not even on the 0.4% height chart. She's never even tried to cross the stairgate because she quivers at the moutainous sight of the stairs... People still say 'Ah doesn't she walk well?'

MaryBS Mon 27-Jun-05 21:56:05

Trouble with a double one, is that most of the weight will be one side, making it difficult to steer. I was talked out of buying a double buggy by the 'expert' in the baby shop, for this reason!
I had a "Little Tykes" tandem buggy and that was pretty manouvrable - useful when shopping when you want BOTH of them tied down!
Otherwise the buggyboard is good, my DD went on one from about the age of 2 1/2. It is VERY good for walking places, but useless for shopping as my DD had a habit of running off!

HTH

NotQuiteCockney Mon 27-Jun-05 21:56:30

It depends. How much do you walk? Are you in a hurry when you walk?

I'd say only get the double buggy if you need to walk a lot, in a hurry.

My DS1 was three (almost exactly) when DS2 was born. He didn't used to walk that much. He walks a lot now. School is over half a mile away, I think.

Our latest thing, though, is using his Like-a-bike. He's mad for it at the moment, and he goes so much faster. (But it's safer than a real bike, as he puts his feet down all the time, IYSWIM.)

NotQuiteCockney Mon 27-Jun-05 21:57:39

One of my friends has a two-and-a-bit-years gap, and got a double buggy. My son calls her son "that boy who doesn't walk much".

Getting a double buggy guarantees she won't get into the habit of walking!

Roobie Mon 27-Jun-05 21:57:53

I would defer buying anything until the baby is born and you have at least tried getting your dd to walk, perhaps using a sling for the baby when she gets too knackered. She is not really going to need a buggy for much longer so why spend the cash?

motherinferior Mon 27-Jun-05 21:57:53

Don't do it, sweetie - I know she's tiny but she's three.

morningpaper Mon 27-Jun-05 22:00:36

I've never heard of a like-a-bike.

I was thinking of a big pram job which has a clip-on toddler seat, rather than the usual kind, like this .

zippy539 Mon 27-Jun-05 22:00:50

Agree with NQCockney - it all depends on how fast you need to get places and whether you walk a lot. If you drive most places then I wouldn't bother - if you don't then try a buggy board first and if that doesn't work get a double but I reckon you wont need one for very long. Can you borrow one from someone?

moondog Mon 27-Jun-05 22:01:08

I got an Phil&Ted,even though my oldest was 3 when the baby was born, as we walk a lot (did at least a mile every evening with the dog and as dh was away,leaving her at home was not an option.) It was/is excellent as can be adjusted to take one child/two children in many different combinations,but is light,extremely manoeuvreable and has a great resale value. I really love mine.

morningpaper Mon 27-Jun-05 22:02:13

I suppose I walk 3 miles every day? Not FAST but dawdling drives me crazy...

She can't SEE over the buggy boards at all because she's too short - are there any TALL ones?

Flum Mon 27-Jun-05 22:02:20

Ok get an old cheap second hand one from Ebay for emergencies.

Or..... get rollerskates for DD!!

Yeah.

expatinscotland Mon 27-Jun-05 22:02:24

Im in the same boat, mp. DD is skinny as a rake and she just doesn't like to walk too far. She'll be 2.5 when wee one is born. Ever try forcing a tired toddler to walk? It doesn't work. We're buying a cheap double buggy.

motherinferior Mon 27-Jun-05 22:04:36

Whatever you opt for, I think it is worth trying to get her walking - my DD1 was walking about a mile and half over a day (that I know of - more when you add in the walking at her childminder's) at three. And she's no athlete.

morningpaper Mon 27-Jun-05 22:05:00

Yes I kind of feel that I'll probably be screaming at her all the time and I don't want failure-to-walk to be another reason...

Bebang Mon 27-Jun-05 22:05:21

I did get a double buggy, but ds was 23months when dd was born. Have since seen people with seats similar to a buggy borad but where the child can actually sit down. They look great. Although I didn't use it that much, it was indispensible when I did need it. Also the resale value was fantatsic - got over 65% of the cost back - eBay!!

NotQuiteCockney Mon 27-Jun-05 22:06:13

Eh, my DS1 is dead skinny, although reasonably tall.

As others have said, sling + pram is a good interim method, we did that for a little bit, until DS1 got used to walking to and from school every day.

A like-a-bike is, well, like a bike. It's a german two-wheeler, but with no pedals. You push with your feet.

I had DS1 on his, and a friend's dd on a two-wheeler with stabilisers, and found the like-a-bike less stressful, generally faster (except in a straight race, but of course we were dealing with bumps and kerbs and so on), and much easier to carry when he got fed up with it.

morningpaper Mon 27-Jun-05 22:06:13

What are those sit-down buggy boards called?

I keep typing 'bugger board...'

moondog Mon 27-Jun-05 22:06:48

F**ing hell MI! Well impressed. They obviously breed hardy stock in your neck of the woods.

expatinscotland Mon 27-Jun-05 22:07:09

I was a lazy git as a kid. I couldn't be arsed to walk down the block.

I became a munro climber in adulthood.

Bebang Mon 27-Jun-05 22:08:06

I will try & find out for you. I see one being wheeled up the road most days. Our bugger board had broken too many times going up and down kerbs.

Twiglett Mon 27-Jun-05 22:08:46

get a buggy board

think you're thinking of the Litaf Seat 2 Go

janeybops Mon 27-Jun-05 22:10:07

dd was two and half when ds was born I used the double buggy for about 3 months and then got fed up and she walked! they are pain and it severley resticts where you can go...

If you must get one I suggest one of those bertini (?) ones which is a single buggy but with a removable toddler seat perched on the front to use when dd is tired/you are in a rush.

Bebang Mon 27-Jun-05 22:10:13

Yeah - that's it. Looks comfy....you could always hop on yourself. Get the £yr old to push... build some muscle

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: