Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Computer Advice Needed

(3 Posts)
Earlybird Mon 27-Jun-05 21:49:52

I have a laptop that was bought in 2000 - which I suppose is ancient in the lifespan of a computer. I want to go from dial-up (dark ages, I know! ) to broadband. About 6 months ago, I took my laptop in for a "health check" and had the capacity upgraded. However, the poor machine still freezes up/requires rebooting regularly, so I can't imagine it could handle the demands of broadband.

So, here's my question: is it worth having laptop rebuilt/reconditioned? I have no idea what that would cost....Or is it better to simply buy a new computer? I will be in America this summer, and I know their electronics are often cheaper than here. Would I get a better deal if I bought the new laptop there? This laptop was bought there, so I have all necessary leads/converters, etc.

Thanks in advance from a technological novice.

morningpaper Tue 28-Jun-05 20:09:45

It depends what the spec of the existing laptop is, but new computers are so cheap that I'd just buy a new one to be honest. 5 years is a good run for a pooter.

The problem with buying in America is that you have to pay tax on the computer when you come back in, you won't be able to easily claim on the warranty if it goes wrong, and it will be set up for American settings. You'd be better off buying from Dell or even going into PCWorld and making sure you get a machine with a decent year's warranty.

Hope that helps!

lousH Tue 28-Jun-05 20:18:21

More often than not it is Not worth updating a computer part ( Mobo, memory etc) because the puter will always be as slow as it weakest link, and you're right 5 years is very old.

We have two vaio's we bought off ebay, one was 5 months old, one was 2 months old, like a car it is nice to let somebody else swallow the depreciation.

Vaio will will still honour the warranty, if you buy one that wasn't registered with them, maybe others will too.

It is also nice to have laptop with wireless capability, the freedom is nice ( surfing while in the garden etc).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now