I want a scanner

With very good dpi

can touch up photos

from this website please this is the site there are 2 pages

Any ideas?

TIA

SenoraPostrophe Thu 23-Jun-05 20:40:34

what do you want to scan?

for super duper photos I would recommend the cannon negative scanner, but that's no good for other pics, obviuosly.

RTKangaMummy Thu 23-Jun-05 20:44:51

photos, never done negatives but yes would be great if I could

enlargemnet of photos

touch up old piccys

documents and letters

But there are just too many to choose from

RTKangaMummy Thu 23-Jun-05 20:45:48

Are some companies better than others???

RTKangaMummy Thu 23-Jun-05 20:47:23

Are there any you would NEVER get???

SenoraPostrophe Thu 23-Jun-05 20:48:05

in general, you get what you pay for. some scanners have a great dpi, but jerky mechanism so you get weird lines accross your pics at high res.

Both decent scanners we have are canon - we've had a few dud 'uns but I can't remember who made them (they were cheapish though)

RTKangaMummy Thu 23-Jun-05 21:03:50

So do you reckon

Canon CanoScan 4200F USB 2.0 Flatbed Scanner
The CanoScan 4200F is the ultimate power package that gives clean, clear scans of film or photos. Its 3200 x 6400 dpi resolution and super-fast scan engine delivers outstanding results at an astonishing speed.
£70.95 exc. VAT | £83.37 inc. VAT | €121.07 inc. VAT

Canon CanoScan 5200F USB 2.0 Flatbed Film Scanner- Includes 6 Frame Film Adapter Unit
The CanoScan 5200F packs advanced features and powerful performance into a value-for-money film and document scanner, including a 6 frame Film Adapter Unit and innovative FARE (Film Automatic Retouching & Enhancement) level 2 technology. Canon's new FARE Level 2 technology saves you hours of film retouching time and gives remarkable results. Dust and scratch marks are automatically removed using an advanced infra-red process. Faded films are re-saturated with colour reconstruction and even grainy films are corrected with grain equalization - allowing you to generate perfect scans even from damaged film. The CanoScan 5200F features a high capacity, built-in 35mm Film Adapter Unit (FAU) so you can capture high quality images direct from your 35mm slides and negatives - up to 6 frames in one operation.
£73.95 exc. VAT | £86.89 inc. VAT | €126.18 inc. VAT

RTKangaMummy Thu 23-Jun-05 21:04:33

One of these then?

SenoraPostrophe Thu 23-Jun-05 21:12:44

that's cheap.

I'd pay the extra 3 quid for the negative adapter - they're really handy (because you can scan 6 pics at once)

RTKangaMummy Thu 23-Jun-05 21:18:32

So do you reckon it is too cheap?

ie not worth getting? IYSWIM

Should I go for a more expensive one?

SenoraPostrophe Thu 23-Jun-05 21:20:56

no, I mean that's cheap for that model (I just looked it up on amazon to see if i could find the natural successor to ours, but it looks like they've changed the whole range). It looks good to me.

RTKangaMummy Thu 23-Jun-05 21:22:44

Thank you so much

Looks like DH will be off there tomorrow

YES <<deffo brill>>

GeorginaA Thu 23-Jun-05 21:29:19

Canon - definitely. They were top of the Digital Photos recommendations for flatbeds... will check the exact model... give me 5 mins to rescue the mag.

RTKangaMummy Thu 23-Jun-05 21:30:39

oke doke

GeorginaA Thu 23-Jun-05 21:34:17

Ooo... no I tell a lie ... they've changed their minds this month. They rate the Epson 2480 (street price £80) - got 5 stars "This scanner offers a perfect combination of high quality images, fast scan times and a highly affordable price".

They also rated the Canon LiDE 80 (street price £100) - got 4 stars "Negative scanning" (presumably has a negative scan function for threading in your film negatives?)

The Canon LiDE 35 (street price £60) - 4 stars "Ultra-slim design"

HP 4070 (street price £90) - 4 stars "Tough build quality"

Epson Perfection 4870 (street price £300 gulp) - 4 stars "4800ppi hybrid scanner" (i.e. bit more professional kit).

GeorginaA Thu 23-Jun-05 21:34:36

That was the July issue.

GeorginaA Thu 23-Jun-05 21:36:13

(there goes my chance as a Canon rep... )

RTKangaMummy Thu 23-Jun-05 21:36:19

Epson Perfection 2480 Photo USB 2.0 Flatbed Scanner
The EPSON Perfection 2480 Photo is the ideal scanner for home users and amateur photographers who want to restore and archive precious memories. It's a superb combination of class-leading quality, ease of use and innovative 35mm film scanning features. With 2400dpi scanning quality, a built-in 35mm transparency unit, enhanced photo restoration features and straightforward operation, the EPSON Perfection 2480 makes great photo scanning simple and fun. Now you can scan like a professional, whatever your level of expertise, and even bring old and faded photos back to life with easy-to-use EPSON Color Restoration and Dust Removal software.
£59.95 exc. VAT | £70.44 inc. VAT | €102.30 inc. VAT

RTKangaMummy Thu 23-Jun-05 21:38:13

Canon CanoScan LiDE 80 USB 2.0 Flatbed Scanner

Manufacturer Ref: 7877A003AA | RL Supplies Ref: SCACAN0100
Manufactured by: Canon

Range Scanners
Part No. 7877A003AA
Model Canon CanoScan LiDE 80 Scanner with Film Scanning

£102.95 exc. VAT | £120.97 inc. VAT | €175.67 inc. VAT

Overview Features Specification Options

Overview
CanoScan LiDE 80 is the world's most compact film-capable flatbed scanner. Only 38mm thin, it combines FARE level 2 automatic film retouching technology and 2400x 4800 dpi resolution. CanoScan LiDE 80 is the world's most compact film-capable flatbed scanner. CanoScan LiDE 80 brings together stunning design and outstanding quality in the world's most compact film-capable flatbed scanner. The ultra-chic, impossibly thin 38mm body is possible thanks to Canon's revolutionary LiDE (LED InDirect Exposure) technology. Outstanding 2400 x 4800 dpi resolution and a super-compact hand-held Film Adaptor Unit (FAU) combine to deliver the power needed for high quality enlargement of 35mm negatives and slides. The CanoScan LiDE 80 is so exceptionally slender and light, a simple stand allows it to be stored and operated on its side, freeing up valuable desk space. A gold aluminium lid gives an elegant finish to the distinctive design. Power cables have been eliminated – CanoScan LiDE 80 draws all the power it needs from the USB 2.0 Hi-Speed connection. This elegant alternative to traditional CCD scanners is the perfect choice for uncluttered working environments.
Obtaining quality results from damaged or faded original film is now easy thanks to another world first from Canon: FARE level 2 technology in a LiDE scanner. Unlike simple software filters which use intelligent guesswork to locate and repair damage from a scanned image, FARE level 2 uses infra red scanning of the film itself to locate and repair aberrations with unsurpassed precision. FARE level 2 can even restore colour in old, faded film and remove grain effect from fast film, saving countless hours of manual retouching. For Photos QARE Level 2 software performs the same advanced corrections. Obtaining quality results from damaged or faded original film is now easy thanks to another world first from Canon: FARE level 2 technology in a LiDE scanner. Unlike simple software filters which use intelligent guesswork to locate and repair damage from a scanned image, FARE level 2 uses infra red scanning of the film itself to locate and repair aberrations with unsurpassed precision. FARE level 2 can even restore colour in old, faded film and remove grain effect from fast film, saving countless hours of manual retouching. For Photos QARE Level 2 software performs the same advanced corrections.

Main Details
Form Factor Scanner - Flatbed
Dimensions 25.8cm (W) x 37.4cm (D) x 3.8cm (H) - Weight 2.0kg

GeorginaA Thu 23-Jun-05 21:38:49

That looks like it. Sounds nice - almost makes me want to upgrade We have a Canon N670U - a bit ancient now I think, but it's taken a good kicking (litterally, the kids keep dragging it out) ... had a few kicks too many though and losing a line of pixels (fortunately right on the left hand side so still useable, lol). Moral of the story - don't let kids near computers.

GeorginaA Thu 23-Jun-05 21:40:01

Epsom looks a damn good price though, doesn't it? Especially considering the functionality.

GeorginaA Thu 23-Jun-05 21:40:34

EpsoN even. See I can't even spell Canon's competitors...

RTKangaMummy Thu 23-Jun-05 21:42:01

NOt sure which one now?

Can I get negative attachtment on to one that doesn't do it originally?

RTKangaMummy Thu 23-Jun-05 21:42:31

GeorginaA Thu 23-Jun-05 21:44:47

Don't they both have film scanning?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now