Talk

Advanced search

Breastpump recommendations...

(15 Posts)
suzi2 Thu 23-Jun-05 18:29:23

Can anyone recommend a good breastpump? I don't plan to go back to work so expressing will hopefully just be for night time feeds and for when babys is a grannys.

Blondeinlondon Thu 23-Jun-05 18:40:16

I have the avent hand pump - it is okay but a bit fiddly to wash up and has a tiny part that I always worry about losing down the drain

lucy5 Thu 23-Jun-05 18:44:05

I bought a manual one from boots, either it or me were rubbish. I couldnt get harldy any milk from my usually free flowing boobs. My friends with electric seemed to fair better.

throckenholt Thu 23-Jun-05 18:50:22

avent isis hand pump

anchovies Thu 23-Jun-05 19:09:41

agree avent isis but also agree about being a pain to clean

hatstand Thu 23-Jun-05 19:11:37

had about three. avent was the only one that ever worked, even Boots own - which is virtually identical - was crap.

MrsKing Thu 23-Jun-05 19:36:21

I kept trying with the Avent hand pump but just couldn't get any milk unless my boobs were absolutely full to bursting.

Went out and bought a Medela electric pump and never looked back. Although it is very, very loud so you can't be discreet! Definitely one for use in the home!

Magscat Thu 23-Jun-05 20:06:16

Another vote here for he Avent Isis. I trid a small battery powered elec one and went back to the Isis - I found the control you have over it better than the fixed rhythm of the elec one.

Didn't buy it though - borrowed one so if you're not sure, it might be worth seeing if you can borrow one or get one 2nd hand - try NCT Nearly New sales.

csa Thu 23-Jun-05 20:25:27

another vote for the avent isis. found the medela hand electric one really pinches when you are expressing.

Fran1 Thu 23-Jun-05 20:26:48

Avent gets a vote from me!

It takes some effort, but if its only once a day then it does the job.

pupuce Thu 23-Jun-05 20:29:15

Loved the medela electric

suzi2 Thu 23-Jun-05 22:41:13

Thanks guys... seems there are many votes for the Avent and also for the Medela - which is tricky as those two had been top of my mind.

Think I might see what I can get second hand...

jennifersofia Thu 23-Jun-05 23:21:33

Avent for out and about, medela for at home. Can't beat medela for efficiency and ease.

hunkermunker Thu 23-Jun-05 23:26:15

Avent Isis worked for me.

moondog Thu 23-Jun-05 23:30:16

I liked the Medela second time round.Struggled a bit with the AZvent Isis with the first baby,although I know a lot of people love it.
Hey,you can have my Avent if you want (is it yucky to share breastpumps???? Not sure of etiquette....)

Actually you can have the Medela too,only the cord is broken,so it only works by battery (which is fine)but I overboiled the bottle part and it is a bit wonky around the top. Still works though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: