Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Slings in the sun - Papillon and anyone else, can you help?

(6 Posts)
fisil Wed 22-Jun-05 12:00:52

We are going to Greece next week and want to take a sling for ds2 (who'll be 8 weeks). Our sling was bought for ds1 who was a winter baby, and is just too cosy to even contemplate putting on in hot weather.

Papillon had a fantastic sling at the MN summer party last year - a long piece of fabric that she wound round her and dd. Are these good? Easy to use (alone)? Cool? Where can I get one from (pref not mail order, so that I can go and try it out)?

Or does anyone else know of a good summer sling?

Papillon Wed 22-Jun-05 12:34:54

They are easy to use once you know how fisil. Important to feel confident with it... practise with a big bear or something first!! I have no idea where you would buy one in UK... did not see anybody with one while there so not sure they are in many shops. You could ring a midwifery centre, or birthing home near you if one exists... they would be wise to these things... or la leche, they are into slings too...

Failing all else... a piece of fabric from the material shop - natural woven fibres are best. For small babies 2.6-3 metres is enough - length. Then there is less to wrap around your body in a hot climate. 70 centimetres.... 36 - 45" wide. Even a really good bedsheet that is not getting thin I mean could be used.

lots of sites for sewing tips etc...

this site tells you how to wear the sling - X-shaped being the best imo You don´t have to tie it at the back ...instead you can wrapt the material around your waist and tie at front... their version is cooler heat wise though.

Have a beautiful holiday

misdee Wed 22-Jun-05 12:46:16

noty sue on shops but earthkind sell wrap slings. i have a moby which is good for warmer weather so am going to buy an ellaroo, which is a woven fabric wrap. very easy to tie once you've practised well.

fisil Wed 22-Jun-05 13:33:25

can you try that link again misdee?

fisil Wed 22-Jun-05 14:12:44

It's OK - I found the website. i have ordered a pouch - looks like exactly what we want, something just to bung him in when we need hands free to do such things as get on planes/sort out toddler ice creams. I'd love to try the wrap ones, but not sure I have the time to learn as we're off next week!

Thanks to both of you for your advice.

misdee Wed 22-Jun-05 14:27:29

have a good holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now