Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

Slings in the sun - Papillon and anyone else, can you help?

(6 Posts)
fisil Wed 22-Jun-05 12:00:52

We are going to Greece next week and want to take a sling for ds2 (who'll be 8 weeks). Our sling was bought for ds1 who was a winter baby, and is just too cosy to even contemplate putting on in hot weather.

Papillon had a fantastic sling at the MN summer party last year - a long piece of fabric that she wound round her and dd. Are these good? Easy to use (alone)? Cool? Where can I get one from (pref not mail order, so that I can go and try it out)?

Or does anyone else know of a good summer sling?

Papillon Wed 22-Jun-05 12:34:54

They are easy to use once you know how fisil. Important to feel confident with it... practise with a big bear or something first!! I have no idea where you would buy one in UK... did not see anybody with one while there so not sure they are in many shops. You could ring a midwifery centre, or birthing home near you if one exists... they would be wise to these things... or la leche, they are into slings too...

Failing all else... a piece of fabric from the material shop - natural woven fibres are best. For small babies 2.6-3 metres is enough - length. Then there is less to wrap around your body in a hot climate. 70 centimetres.... 36 - 45" wide. Even a really good bedsheet that is not getting thin I mean could be used.

lots of sites for sewing tips etc...

this site tells you how to wear the sling - X-shaped being the best imo You don´t have to tie it at the back ...instead you can wrapt the material around your waist and tie at front... their version is cooler heat wise though.

Have a beautiful holiday

misdee Wed 22-Jun-05 12:46:16

noty sue on shops but earthkind sell wrap slings. i have a moby which is good for warmer weather so am going to buy an ellaroo, which is a woven fabric wrap. very easy to tie once you've practised well.

fisil Wed 22-Jun-05 13:33:25

can you try that link again misdee?

fisil Wed 22-Jun-05 14:12:44

It's OK - I found the website. i have ordered a pouch - looks like exactly what we want, something just to bung him in when we need hands free to do such things as get on planes/sort out toddler ice creams. I'd love to try the wrap ones, but not sure I have the time to learn as we're off next week!

Thanks to both of you for your advice.

misdee Wed 22-Jun-05 14:27:29

have a good holiday.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: