Talk

Advanced search

baby soap not full of chemicals?

(9 Posts)
milkmoustache Tue 21-Jun-05 18:34:09

Up until now (DD is 8 weeks) we have just been using plain water to wash her, but we probably need something a bit more powerful for all those creases full of milk and dry skin (mmmm... nice!).
Any recommendations for mild, safe products that are not full of unnecessary chemicals or smells?
Cheers!

WigWamBam Tue 21-Jun-05 18:38:15

Boots have a range called Little Me which is mild, organic, and really nice.

chonky Tue 21-Jun-05 18:42:03

Comfort and Joy make some gentle stuff, BUT I haven't tried it as it's so expensive! However I expect a little goes a long way.

comfort and joy

Angeliz Tue 21-Jun-05 18:42:47

I use the Simple range and have had no problems

chicagomum Tue 21-Jun-05 19:13:12

aveeno products are great but a little difficult to get hold of - try local chemists rather than boots/superdrug etc they are made with oatmeal and are excellent for ezcema particularly but a very good non irritating cleanser for any skin

merglemergle Tue 21-Jun-05 20:01:54

I think the problem is that most so called soaps don't actually contain soap, they contain...other things, like detergents, antibacterials, etc. I know that doesn't explain it very well! But I think what you need to do is look for a pure soap, made from some kind of fat, if you want to avoid nasties. They are hard to find. If you get a pure soap you can dilute it as needed to make it more gentle, eg we put a bar in a liquid soap dispenser and add water.

There is a brand called something like Olivio which I THINK is a pure olive oil soap.

Proper soap will dry the skin though, but you can put olive oil or something on it afterwards.

Even essential oils are not innocent IMO. Ds has had really horrible reactions to lavender and tea tree (pure oils-diluted, of course). I buy pure oils only and they all set off my mum's asthma.

shrub Tue 21-Jun-05 20:15:56

anything by green people or weleda are excellent, they don't have any sulphates or parabens in.
see green baby

Furball Tue 21-Jun-05 20:50:36

we use aqueous cream which can be bought in a huge tub in Boots for a couple of quid. I use it as a hand wash for DS as his hands get in a right state with normal soap, you can just use it straight from the pot to moisturise. Weird stuff with it's double use but doesn't contain anything nasty as it can be used on excema.

newrus Thu 23-Jun-05 06:40:14

I used the organics baby range and still do, my little one is 17 months. It's fantastic, and my homeopath actually recommended, including the baby lotion. Never had a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now