Talk

Advanced search

Sewing machine recommendations please and curtain making advice

(5 Posts)
Enid Tue 21-Jun-05 15:13:28

I need to get some curtains for the girls rooms. Being handy with a needle I don't see why I cant make them myself.

However I dont have a sewing machine and have nearly had a heart attack seeing how expensive they are in Argos

Are the 99 quid ones as good as the 400 quid ones? I want something simple.

Also, are curtains easy to make? They'll be ones that go on a pole rather than a track.

SoupDragon Tue 21-Jun-05 15:30:36

The £400 ones often do a lot of fancy stitches which you simply will never use. I'd go for a cheaper model from a known brand.

beachyhead Tue 21-Jun-05 15:48:39

I have a very old Singer which has a foot pedal and is therefore electric but only just.....I got it for 35 quid.

You really don't need anything fancy for curtains.....

and they are really not hard to make....my mum gave me basic instructions and if I remember, I'll bring them in and type them out.

LouiseT Tue 21-Jun-05 20:52:53

I got mine (Toyota) from a car boot sale about 8 years ago and have made oodles of curtain, blinds and cushions since. Keep thinking about getting it serviced but never get around to it. You don't need anything fancy.

lilaclotus Tue 21-Jun-05 20:55:33

i've made lots of curtains, it's mostly hemming and straight lines, so it's easy. i think unless you're going to do tricky things a cheaper basic model should be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now