Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Paranoid about safety of tower fan

(34 Posts)
GeorginaA Mon 20-Jun-05 20:00:47

Hoping someone can reassure me.

Have put a tower fan in ds1's room (he's 4) (ds2 has a little air cooler in his room, but of course he can't reach it as he's in a cot). Have stressed that he shouldn't put his fingers near or inside the grill or any other object as it's really dangerous. He asked why, and I ended up telling him his fingers would break off (yes, I know... great parenting form just before bedtime... have probably overdone it now, but really wanted to stress that he wasn't to touch it).

Thing is, I've come downstairs and I'm now really paranoid. Do these things have safety cutouts if something did go in there? He's a fairly good kid - if you tell him not to do something then he won't, but I don't want to rely on that, if you know what I mean.

I'm being overly paranoid, aren't I? AREN'T I?!!!

starlover Mon 20-Jun-05 20:01:48

i am sure he will be fine. if you're worried then take it out!

GeorginaA Mon 20-Jun-05 20:02:30

But then I'll worry he'll overheat

No pleasing me, is there?!

Xena Mon 20-Jun-05 20:03:29

How about putting it in there after he has gone to sleep?

starlover Mon 20-Jun-05 20:03:44

lol. i am sure he will be fine... could you just open the window a bit?

invisiblegirl Mon 20-Jun-05 20:04:02

yes you are being over paranoid but I would have been too so am absolutely no help either.

Whizzz Mon 20-Jun-05 20:04:05

I'm pretty sure it would stop if something got in the way. You could always reassure yourself by sticking a pen in there ?

KBear Mon 20-Jun-05 20:10:43

but would his finger actually fit in there? I see your point and understand your concerns but I doubt much more than a tiny bit of his finger would fit and the fan inside will probably have a cm or so clearance from the wire edge IYSWIM.

GeorginaA Mon 20-Jun-05 20:13:53

It looks like it's all plastic in there (rather than metal blades)... box says conforms to all relevant safety standards (whatever they are...)

GeorginaA Mon 20-Jun-05 20:14:39

this is the child that as a baby managed to get his fingers down an air ventillation grill at our old house... so I'm a little wary about pronouncing that he couldn't get his fingers in there!!!

Dickers Mon 20-Jun-05 20:49:11

I do know something about this, as I work for the safety team of a large retailer. The fan will not be fitted with a safety cut out, so will continue to spin if a finger is inserted into the fan casing (that's why the casing is there to protect the blades)

The safety standards the instructions refer to, relate to electrical safety and the safety of the motor.

It is impossible for all things to be made "child safe" and there is an assumption that parents have a duty of care and don't expose their children to situations/products which are unsuitable.

Having said all of the above, I think the power of the motor would prbably not be sufficient to cut/break a finger....probably cause a bad bruise.

Twiglett Mon 20-Jun-05 20:51:07

I have just ordered 2 tower fans on the assumption that they will be far safer than the circular fan we already have .. I thought the grille was too small for fingers? am shocked it isn't

GeorginaA Mon 20-Jun-05 21:01:34

Okay Dickers, thank you very much for that. I shall continue to stress how important it is not to put anything in there, including small fingers!

Twiglett - there may well be tower fans with smaller grills, mine doesn't appear that small unfortunately, but they were the only ones Homebase had in stock when I sent dh out this afternoon to get one

Twiglett Mon 20-Jun-05 21:20:28

mine arrive tomorrow .. will post link if they seem ok

GeorginaA Mon 20-Jun-05 21:22:47

Thanks - if they're a lot better then I'll get one for ds1's room then use his one in ours I think.

GeorginaA Mon 20-Jun-05 21:27:55

Okay, for comparison, Twiglett... the gaps are about 0.8cm across. Dunno... do you think a child's finger could get in that?

GeorginaA Mon 20-Jun-05 21:28:34

Hmm... yes they probably could... my little finger can get in a gap of 0.7cm...

KatyMac Mon 20-Jun-05 21:32:21

Could you put the fan in a playpen so the children can't reach it

GeorginaA Mon 20-Jun-05 21:44:38

Not really a big enough room and ds1 could still get in it anyway.

KatyMac Mon 20-Jun-05 22:03:28

Fix it to the wall or ceiling?

Might not work for tonite tho'

GeorginaA Mon 20-Jun-05 22:12:48

Not sure it would be stable enough tbh.

Think I'm going to wait and see what Twiglett's tower fan is like, and look at a few more places on Wednesday to see what their fans are like and maybe replace...

KBear Mon 20-Jun-05 22:15:36

quick hijack - excuse me!

Do you turn off the fans in your children's rooms before you go to bed or leave them on all night?

GeorginaA Mon 20-Jun-05 22:19:38

Depends on the night. Tonight I think I'll turn them off, but only because it's got cooler. Last night I left ds2's fan on all night.

You've got me worried now - is that a bad thing too?!

KBear Mon 20-Jun-05 22:29:57

Oh sorry, didn't mean to give you something else to worry about! I would normally turn them off even on the hottest nights cos my DH is a stickler for unplugging everything (he gets on my wick!!) but he's not here tonight so I was just conducting a poll!

GeorginaA Mon 20-Jun-05 22:39:18

LOL... I'm just in worry mode It's a hobby of mine...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now