Talk

Advanced search

Toys for a 6 year old boy

(41 Posts)
lisalisa Mon 20-Jun-05 16:22:59

Message withdrawn

Iklboo Mon 20-Jun-05 16:25:57

6 yr old nephew is into action figures at the minute - Power rangers & Turtles. Think he also got an etch a sketch type thing at Xmas and other drawing/arty stuff - if that's any help?

BethAndHerBrood Mon 20-Jun-05 19:21:07

Lego, playmobil, action man, and cars, cars, cars!!!! He also has a big box of brio, and a box of dressing up. I think that's about it. He's 6 by the way, 7 in a few weeks.

aloadoffishyballs Mon 20-Jun-05 19:22:09

knex

LIZS Mon 20-Jun-05 19:25:41

Agree with BandTB -Playmobil, Lego, space rockets, character figures , Thunderbirds, themed puzzles, Rush Hour and other tactical games, Gameboy, outdoor toys especially water ones!

aloadoffishyballs Mon 20-Jun-05 19:26:36

now mine wodul look in horror at cars
never liked them
footballs yes

aloadoffishyballs Mon 20-Jun-05 19:26:55

also IMO brio way too babyish

aloadoffishyballs Mon 20-Jun-05 19:28:23

ditto playmobil

Xena Mon 20-Jun-05 19:28:53

The only 'toys' really my 7yo DS plays with is little figures (amongst others he has the incrediables) and also I bought a playmobil police station set. Other than that he likes playing football, riding his bike etc

tamum Mon 20-Jun-05 19:29:45

Definitely lego, Rush Hour and similar, and board games. Ds also loved electronic things like Bop-it at that age.

aloadoffishyballs Mon 20-Jun-05 19:32:00

agree zena
he will fiddel away with lego and knex but action is the name of the game
oh and hsi blinking yu gi oh cards and dueller but I wodulnt inflict that on anyone

bubblerock Mon 20-Jun-05 19:34:36

My DS (7 today) loves StarWars, top trumps, lego, yu gi oh cards, scoobies, playstation, paint by numbers....

Xena Mon 20-Jun-05 19:38:36

Oh I had forgotten top trumps he has zillions of packs. hes got a knex set too that he likes.

ssd Mon 20-Jun-05 19:40:00

My ds 7 loves a new football, a football strip, goalie gloves and a new net. Or another football..

He also likes dinosaurs and any books on them esp. "walking with dinosaurs" and the video from the BBC or "walking with beasts" and that video too.

Or a football

aloadoffishyballs Mon 20-Jun-05 19:40:22

they always need another football

roisin Mon 20-Jun-05 19:48:40

DS2 was 6 at the beginning of May. His fave present was Mandala magnetic art

It seems expensive for what it is, (and you do have to faff about affixing the magnets at the beginning which takes AGES), BUT it's a fantastic product. It's very well made and sturdy, and the kids love it. Dss both find it very relaxing and calming. And ds2 has played with it every night since his birthday .. about 6 weeks!

Unfortunately I don't think it's available from Bright Minds any more. But if you Google there are other stockists.

He also likes Blokus and Tantrix

aloadoffishyballs Mon 20-Jun-05 19:59:29

what do you so wiht it?
Oha nd all 6 year olds like paper and stationary IMe

roisin Mon 20-Jun-05 20:23:09

Was that Q aimed at me Cod?
You make geometrical/symmetrical patterns with it. There are some designs to copy in the book, or you can make up your own. It sounds quite simple, but because of the shapes it's quite complex.

Anyway, my boys seem to find it very relaxing, so it's very popular with me!

Aero Mon 20-Jun-05 20:32:02

Any outdoor sporty toys (football, cricket, etc) board games, those battling spinning top things (the name escapes my muddy mind atm), game cube, card games (uno, top trumps etc) and his electronic kit.
Occasionally plays with Lego or knex when he's bored!
He also still likes all his little Star Wars and various other super-hero figures.
Also likes painting/colouring and can still be found modelling play-doh when his little sis has it out.

lisalisa Tue 21-Jun-05 12:01:38

Message withdrawn

binkie Tue 21-Jun-05 12:15:05

If going for Lego at six, I'd aim for the Technik range - much more interesting - & enticing for Dads too.

This makes me think: apart from Lego ds isn't doing toys much now. He does drawing, creation of fantasy landscapes with cushions & furniture (and various roles played by sister), & loads of sitting in corners immersed in Tintin.

Marina Tue 21-Jun-05 12:20:47

Mine is just like yours then Binkie. Tintin, Just William, Lego, Playmobil, drawing loads (creating his own bizarre card game and control panels for his version of daleks - there is a slide button marked TBO = Take Brain Out ) and imaginary landscapes with throws, boxes and little girls marooned somewhere in the middle!
Does he enjoy books Lisalisa? If mine is not Lego-ing or off in his parallel universe, he is reading.

zebraZ Tue 21-Jun-05 12:32:26

DS1 is only 5, but things he lusts after that I don't mind: pirate ship, hornby or other electric/batter operated train set, gameboys. Can also suggest scalectrix, computer games, space hoppers, scooter, sleds, ropes, garden shears (if you teach them what's a weed and what isn't...)

binkie Tue 21-Jun-05 13:04:06

further thought: ds's total dream item would be an old portable manual typewriter .. levers! things to catch your fingers in that mummy won't take off you! lovely smeary ink ribbon! opportunities to type out the rules of those derangedly invented games and in so doing wind your sister up with tappy noises!

Marina Tue 21-Jun-05 13:05:28

We got a set of alphabet stamps that are used to issue passes to bedrooms for toddler girls, instructions to friends, etc, Binkie.
A manual typewriter though...inspired!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now