Talk

Advanced search

Which vacuum cleaner for less than £200?

(24 Posts)
Hulababy Sat 07-Nov-09 14:20:52

We need a new cleaner. Our old Dyson finally died after 10 years or so of use. We bought a cheap Vax hoover last year and it is dreadful.

I reckon another Dyson.

The Dyson ball (DC24) is reduced to £175 on Amazon, which seems pretty good.

What can you recommend?

InterruptingKid Sat 07-Nov-09 14:21:37

i like the titchy ball i got in the DYson promo here

w ould deffo rebuy

Hulababy Sat 07-Nov-09 14:24:41

Is that the cylinder or upright?

This is the DC24 I saw. It is a ball one.

DH prefers the upright ones.

InterruptingKid Sat 07-Nov-09 14:32:12

yes the upright ( soryr i had hidden this htread by mistake and had to refind)
ahd had cylinders beofre but yes prefer upright
its so small to store, manoeverabel and tbh emptying the drum more often is GOODi think.

sausagesupper Sat 07-Nov-09 14:35:57

never understood the appeal of dyson. you can buy a henry hoover with a reusable and washable bag for less than £100 which is supposed to be very good. I have a bagless panasonic cylinder hoover with 1600w power which cost £29.99 which I think is bloody excellent. I would recommend to all!!

ladylush Sat 07-Nov-09 14:39:52

I like Miele cat+dog

Hulababy Sat 07-Nov-09 20:11:59

sausagesupper - we took the advice last time though to just get one for less than £100 and seriously it has been a nightmare. Ours says it is high wattage, good suction, etc but it is so bad. I may as well pick the bits with my fingers!

Our Dyson was really good and lasted over 10 years - hence thinking of getting another.

IK - thanks. Is yours the DC24 then or a different model? Amazon has it pretty cheap at present so very tempted.

The Meile is a cylinder I think isn't it? DH particularly doesn't like cylinders.

crokky Sat 07-Nov-09 20:17:29

I would get this miele (£165 on JL website, not sure if cheaper elsewhere online?)

www.johnlewis.com/230221053/Product.aspx

Mine is the older model of this one and I got it after searching MN for recommendations. It is sooooo much better (and cheaper) than my old dyson (which died!)

crokky Sat 07-Nov-09 20:18:02

I just saw your DH doesn't like the cylinder ones, they do uprights as well.

Hulababy Sat 07-Nov-09 20:33:58

The cheapest Miele upright on JL is £269

MegBusset Sat 07-Nov-09 21:16:22

Ooh, quick bump for this -- our vacuum has just died so looking for recommendations for a cheapish bagless cylinder (Dyson out of our budget sadly!)...

ThatVikRinA22 Sat 07-Nov-09 22:10:08

gotta be a dyson for me....mine is ancient and every year out lovely local dyson repair blokey comes, strips it all down, replaces all the bits and charges me bugger all for doing it...its like having a new machine for nowt! i love the way dysons do this....its dyson forever for me!

ThatVikRinA22 Sat 07-Nov-09 22:10:47

(well i pay a little bit....but its still worth it!)

cheesesarnie Sat 07-Nov-09 22:11:32

miele cat and dog.i got it after it was recommended on here and i can sadly say i love my hoovergrin

Hulababy Sat 07-Nov-09 22:12:43

Vicarinatutu - never heard of that service but will def look into it.

Mcdreamy Sat 07-Nov-09 22:13:42

Miele cat and dog. I am testing a Dyson at the moment - not a patch on my miele.

Hulababy Sat 07-Nov-09 22:17:28

But the cat and dog Miele is a cylinder and we really don't want a cylinder. And Meile uprights are just so much dearer.

KnackeredOldHag Sat 07-Nov-09 22:21:57

We have the Dyson slim which is slightly bigger than the Dyson ball but not so big as the standard Dyson. Had it for 4 years and no problems at all. We had a cheaper bagless upright before that which broke within a year. Dyson is definately worth the extra money.

Mcdreamy Sat 07-Nov-09 22:25:27

Oh sorry go a bit excited and didn't read the whole of the thread blush

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 08-Nov-09 15:35:38

hulababy - i just phone the dyson helpline and book a service - its meant to be about £50, but our repair man stripped it down totally, replaced all the bits, the motor, brushes, filters,cyliner, even the cable and charged me £35 as he said the motor should have lasted longer - he said it was on its way out. he said he would be happy to strip down the machine yearly for us for the service charge, which as most of the parts are completely replaceable means you get a rebuilt 'new' machine. its a brilliant service, i cant fault them their customer service is just brilliant.

Hulababy Sun 08-Nov-09 20:42:37

Well, now the proud owner of a dinky DC24 Went and got one today and I love it. Was very shocked at how much rubbish it picked up in one vacuum though - new that cheap Vax hadn't been working well.

Hulababy Sun 08-Nov-09 20:42:59

Thanks all

Carameli Thu 12-Nov-09 09:49:00

I have a Henry and its just fab, so powerful and comes with all the usual gadgets. You can also get a reusable bag if you want to go with it.
My mum has had one for years and after going through about 3 different hoovers I switched and have never looked back.

HeinzSight Thu 12-Nov-09 10:43:31

LOL I just about to start a similar thread, our Dyson died this morning, think it truly is fatal.

I was just looking at this Vax, not a good idea?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now