Talk

Advanced search

Amby hammocks - are they worth shelling out for?

(17 Posts)
saltyseadog Thu 05-Nov-09 21:55:59

We already have a cot bed for ds when he arrives (dd's old one) - however I have been wondering about getting an Amby Hammock too for the first few months. DD was such a restless baby that I'm worried that ds will be the same! The only thing stopping me is the cash - so are they worth it?

AitchTwoToTangOh Thu 05-Nov-09 21:57:54

YEEEEEESSSS!

either buy second hand or shell out and re-sell. you only lose about fifty quid on the deal anyway, so it's not that expensive. they are lovely, lovely things.

saltyseadog Thu 05-Nov-09 22:01:20

Will they double up as a travel cot <hopeful>? I need some financial justification to put in fromt of dh wink.

IlanaK Thu 05-Nov-09 22:01:25

I have one that I have used for 3 ds in in the last 8 years. I love it. Ds1 and ds2 slept in it from the start with no problem. Ds3 had a rough start in life and spent a difficult first 6 months. We coslept with him and he would not go in the Amby until he was around 7 months. He then slept in it until he was about 13 months old before we put him into his cotbed. We also leant ours to my sister in law (between babies) when she had her first who didn't settle well in a cot. She ended up buying her own (as we needed it back for unplanned ds3) and she is pregnant again and plans to use it for dc2.

I am hanging onto mine in case we ever decide to have a 4th!

IlanaK Thu 05-Nov-09 22:02:02

Yes, it is an excellent travel cot as it comes apart. We always took ours with us when we went on holiday or visiting people.

saltyseadog Thu 05-Nov-09 22:03:23

It sounds brilliant. I think I am sold, but any more recommendations gratefully received so that I can send dh the thread

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 05-Nov-09 22:03:44

Definitely worth it. Great re-sale value and can be used as a travel cot

AitchTwoToTangOh Thu 05-Nov-09 22:04:05

yep, deffo on the travel cot, much easier than a normal one cos the whole thing comes in a travel bag and is light. we used ours for camping, i liked that dd2 was off the ground.
i've lent mine to three people and they've all loved it, probably know about ten people all in all that i've persuaded and no-one has had a bad experience with it.

and the thing is, if the baby hates it, you won't lose out by that much anyway if you sell it.

i swaddled fairly tight and in both cases used for every nap and sleep until nine mos.

BertieBotts Thu 05-Nov-09 22:09:15

There is a copycat unbranded one I believe which is much cheaper.

AuroraB Fri 06-Nov-09 13:39:19

i have a miyo one, but same principle. i love it and so does DS, he's always slept really well and bounces himself back to sleep if he wakes. he also looks super cute all snuggly and comfy

sheeplikessleep Fri 06-Nov-09 13:43:33

watching thread with interest, as i'm pregnant with dc2 (and ds had colic/reflux and a flat head, so i'm pretty sold on the hammock idea).

BUT the only thing putting me off is when they do move to a cot, is it an absolute nightmare, in terms of sleepless nights until they get used to a 'static' bed?

somewhathorrified Fri 06-Nov-09 14:03:32

I bought an amby a few weeks ago (still got a few weeks left b4 ds 1 arrives), my logic went like this; "How much would I pay for any extra sleep in those first few weeks? More than I would pay for an amby!" ofc this is all based on the principle that it does help DS settle, but at least I would have tried everything possible.

AuroraB Fri 06-Nov-09 14:14:16

sheeplikesleep my ds sleeps well in a cot too and doesn't seem to notice or care about the difference. perhaps as he always had day naps in a moses basket and now he's bigger in his cot so he's always been used to it?

AitchTwoToTangOh Fri 06-Nov-09 21:06:27

nope, sheep, it's fine because by the time they move across they're so much more mobile, iykwim? so they relish being able to walk around their cot, being able to sit up etc while they're settling themselves. plus,they're accustomed to falling asleep in buggies etc ro this is just another different experience in a looooooong line of different experiences that babies handle with aplomb. certainly i've not heard of any of my pals having a difficulty with the transition.

ThePhantomPlopper Sat 07-Nov-09 10:52:12

They are brilliant, had one for DD, sold it for £10 less than I paid but now have to buy another for DC3.

Sheep - I think we had 1 night of fussing before DD settled into her cot at 10mo, really wasn't a problem.

I recommend them to everyone.

sheeplikessleep Sat 07-Nov-09 13:32:08

how reassuring!
need to apply for my £190 grant to pay for it now grin

somewhathorrified Sat 07-Nov-09 16:22:08

check out ebay, if you keep an eye open for pick up only locally you should be able to pick one up for less than half shop price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now