Talk

Advanced search

tea set / play food etc for 2yo?

(15 Posts)
leahbump Thu 16-Jun-05 19:05:49

anyone know anywhere? I've looked at elc and their stuff says 3+. Would like to get the inlaws to buy some for ds when baby arrives and they will not buy something with a recomended age above 2!!

Ds- loves tea stuff and play food (at mum and toddlers)...just gotta find something they will agree to get!! (personally the cups and saucers in the elc set look fine to me but u know MIL's!!)

ARGHHH!! HELP!!!

If I don't solve this she'll buy another crap book from the £1 shop and clothes that we totally hate!!

bellababe Thu 16-Jun-05 19:11:17

If the elc stuff says 3+ then I would think all the others will too. Can you not explain to your inlaws that it is a legal thing - they haven't made a judgement that the stuff is not suitable for under 3's, it just has to meet certain criteria and if it doesn't it's bracketed as 3+. (eg a small part). I remember being given a rattle/musical instrument on dd's 1st b'day which said 3+ and a 3yr old simply wouldn't be interested in such a babyish toy. I think that play food/kitchen stuff is the most essential element of any child's collection. Never met one who hasn't enjoyed it. Brilliant present. Any chance that you could offer to do the purchasing yourself and also get a really good sturdy box to keep it all in...!

leahbump Thu 16-Jun-05 19:12:29

don't think so...inlaws are right sticklers!! BUT if i can't find anything else I will try the let me buy it tactic and remove it from the packaging before they come!!

leahbump Thu 16-Jun-05 19:13:17

ps- bellababe thanks for replying!

WigWamBam Thu 16-Jun-05 19:14:34

If it's any help, tell them that my HV used the ELC set at dd's 21 month check, and recommended tea-sets as excellent toys for developing pretend-play and social skills (toys tea parties) in 2 year olds.

ambrosia Thu 16-Jun-05 19:15:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LIZS Thu 16-Jun-05 19:19:08

Think we got one from Toys r Us to use from 18 months ish , similar to \link{ http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/TruHome/TruToys/TruToysRolePlay/TruToysRolePlayKitchen/425567\this oen} but wthout tray, although it now says 3+ ! You could always remove the spoons !!

LIZS Thu 16-Jun-05 19:19:45

try again here

csa Thu 16-Jun-05 20:33:05

well, if they have a £100 to spare, try this

they can get the kitchen and you can buy more 3+ accessories to go with it

giraffeski Thu 16-Jun-05 20:36:18

Message withdrawn

csa Thu 16-Jun-05 20:42:12

these are great giraffeski. the breakfast and fruit & veg stuff actually says 2+ and not too pricey.

need to hijack this a little (sorry leahbump) but does anyone know where i can get kid's play oven gloves? one of ds' friends had one and ds has been going on about it forever. unfortunately, it was a gift to ds' friend so his mum doesn't know where it came from either. thanks.

anchovies Thu 16-Jun-05 20:45:32

Completely irrelevant but I got the gourmet sounds kitchen from boots online a few weeks ago for about £35. Bargain! Oh and ds is only 17 months - whoops!

giraffeski Thu 16-Jun-05 21:30:47

Message withdrawn

csa Fri 17-Jun-05 08:45:25

giraffeski, sigh. ds will have a long wait then cos the extent of my sewing abilities only stretch to mending a button!

Hulababy Fri 17-Jun-05 08:47:31

I just bought DD a pair of proper oven clothes - cheap from Ikea. Can't sew!

We have lots of ELC and Toys R Us food, and a kitchen. Not sure what age any of it says on boxes but she has been playing with it since being a year old quite happily.

They also have had similar stuff at DD's nurseries. She definitely used it in the walking to 2yo rooms, if not before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now