Talk

Advanced search

Where can I find a booster seat with a five point harness for 40lb+ (18kgs)

(11 Posts)
PussinJimmyChoos Tue 03-Nov-09 19:41:33

After seeing footage on the internet of crash tests or horror stories of parents who have lost their toddler due to an inadequate car seat, I really don't want to put DS in a high back booster with adult belt when he reaches 18kgs

However, where to find a 5 point booster for a toddler over 40lbs/18kgs?? I've been told that I can't carry on using our 5 point harness past 18kgs as it then becomes unsafe -something due to the weight on the harness if an impact occured.

I've looked on the Britax website and they do a Britax Regent but this is only for sale in the US/Canada as its not EC approved!!

Arghhhhhhh!!!

CarGirl Tue 03-Nov-09 19:43:42

britax 2 way elite

CarGirl Tue 03-Nov-09 19:44:57

www.incarsafetycentre.co.uk/shop/special_br_08.html

PussinJimmyChoos Tue 03-Nov-09 20:08:53

Oooh....I'm in contact with Britax at the moment and they didn't mention this car seat!

Could I use it foward facing from 18kgs or would it have to be rear facing?? Is it easy to install forward facing and what is the tethering kit or is that for rear facing?

PussinJimmyChoos Tue 03-Nov-09 20:10:05

Ahh...yes, they did mention a car seat for special needs....but can't see a reason why this can't be used for non special needs children also?

nicm Tue 03-Nov-09 20:12:45

this can be used ff and the tether straps are for rf only. you could call the in car safety centre and see what they recommend. it is also sold under rf, but they have in the past been sold as special needs seats.

CarGirl Tue 03-Nov-09 20:25:12

Sorry I've had one of these.

Yes you can use it forward facing with the 5 point harness until 25kg, it needs to be installed with a lap & diagnol belt although I was very cheeky & installed mine with a lap belt and use the tethering kit to secure it additionally IYSWIM.

You can also dispense with the 5 point harness and just use the lap & diagnol belt if you prefer.

The middle shoulder strap slot fitted my dd at 4 so it would have easily fitted her height wise for years to come.

amazonianwoman Wed 04-Nov-09 12:58:31

I'm still considering which seat to get for DS only 2.8yrs but over 18kgs shock

I like the idea of the Britax 2-way elite in principle (think we would have to be forward-facing though, no way DS would revert to RF) but the side impact protection doesn't look great on this seat? Especially around the head area? Can't see any reviews by Which etc?

mantaray Wed 04-Nov-09 14:48:07

We have a Britax Elite (not the 2-way) and it harnesses to 25kgs forward facing. DD (4.8yrs) calls it her 'Big Girl Car Seat' and says it is very comfortable.
It is easy to install and very lightweight.

nicm Wed 04-Nov-09 15:02:29

amazonianwoman i think my ds will be the same!! is 14kgs when he was weighed at 18 months. shock the seat is deeper than it looks. just remembered the multitech is harnessed to 25kgs i think. check that out if it might be an option for you? i was really limited with my seats due to underfloor storage but am happy with the seat, plenty of room in it. m

amazonianwoman Thu 05-Nov-09 10:55:02

Thanks, but the Multi-tech is only forward facing to 18kg. Pity because it looks like a much better seat that the 2-way elite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now