Talk

Advanced search

NETBOOK - could you please recommend me one?

(12 Posts)
Plonker Sun 01-Nov-09 21:30:06

I am hopefully getting a netbook for Christmas, but haven't got a clue what to get?

Has anyone got one?
What sort is it and would you recommend it?

Also,
What should I be looking for in a netbook?
What is the ideal size screen?
What are the good/bad makes?

I basically want it for surfing the internet and facebook, but also storing a few photos and the odd bit of word-processing. We have a full size laptop which has photos/music/MS office on.

I'm really not clued up on this sort of thing, so all replies will be gratefully received grin

Dumbledoresgirl Sun 01-Nov-09 21:32:41

I have an Acer Aspire One. I don't know much about techy stuff but I use mine for everything you want yours for and I am happy with it.

sazm Mon 02-Nov-09 10:46:19

you can get the acer ones for about £130 on ebay too
i nearly bought one,but ended up finding a new laptop for £179 so got it instead,

hairtwiddler Mon 02-Nov-09 10:47:54

I have the acer aspire one too. I bought the linux version.
I like the book but for some reason have found the webcam no longer works, which is very annoying. May be easier to sort out with windows version.
Small screen easy to get used to after a while.

Plonker Mon 02-Nov-09 14:19:57

Thanks for the replies smile

I'm a little torn now because I had an Acer desktop which was dire!

It never worked well and was pronounced unfixable when we'd only had it about 2yrs, so I'm reluctant to go with Acer again.

That said, I guess my Acer could have been made on a particularly sleepy nightshift <hopeful>

sazm Mon 02-Nov-09 19:13:07

i've had 2 acer laptops ( my dd killed the first one) and my stepdad has one too,they have all been fab and would def rec them,

Plonker Mon 02-Nov-09 23:40:28

Hmmm, it's looking as though I may have to re-think my prejudices towards acer ...lol

Thanks all

laraeo Tue 03-Nov-09 19:16:47

We just got a Toshiba which is working pretty well. It's got Windows XP and boots up fairly fast (faster than the desktop, anyway). We haven't tried out the webcam yet.

When shopping I'd really look at two things: battery life and ergonomics.

Netbook keyboards are much smaller than desktops and even notebooks and I'm finding it more of a challenge than I thought so if you get a chance to try out the keyboard, I would. It's also taking an adjustment to get used to the tiny screen size.

That said, it's going to be really convenient for traveling and I really enjoy surfing the web while I make DS's breakfast/lunch/dinner.

Plonker Sat 07-Nov-09 12:53:49

Sound advice - thanks laraeo smile

Which Toshiba did you get?

shivster1980 Sun 08-Nov-09 20:54:38

I have an acer aspire one too! Lots about obviously! Really happy with it so far.

Ixia Sun 08-Nov-09 22:35:31

We've got the Acer Aspire One and it's doing my head in. I suspect the problem is the Linux OS rather than Acer. I wanted it for surfing and showing photos to the relatives when we visit. Invariably it won't recognise SD cards or USB sticks and the OS is so clunky, that it's difficult to sort out problems. I'm no fan of Windows, but I would recommend sticking with the Windows version.

Beachcomber Sun 08-Nov-09 22:41:49

Ooh very interested in this thread as my lovely Mac ibook has just died after many years of faithfull service.

I'm thinking about getting a netbook as I can't afford a replcement Mac.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now