Talk

Advanced search

Vacuum Cleaners - are Miele better than Dyson?

(14 Posts)
Lucky13 Sat 31-Oct-09 08:20:07

I have an old Dyson, which has been great, but is slowly losing its suck! I tried a friends new one and its sooooo much better, so am tempted. However i see so many recommendations for Miele i'm not sure.

We have all hard floors downstairs and carpets upstairs - oh and a hairy dog - so which make and model would you recommend?

chachachachacha Sat 31-Oct-09 08:21:58

miele cat and dog - we have the cylinder one and its superb

troutpout Sat 31-Oct-09 08:33:10

I had a dyson too. Lost it's suck...it's just never lived up to expectations
I have a miele now...its fab

CarGirl Sat 31-Oct-09 08:38:57

miele!!!! Appartantly the different models vary in price according to whether the suction adjust with a manual dial or an electric button thing and which heads they go for.

So the cat and dog has specific brush head, all these brush heads can be bought seperately anway.

About a year ago a got the red pearl model for £170 on the high street and it came with a 5 year guarantee. So it's worth looking around to see what is on offer and if need be just buy a different brush head.

MIL has the cat & dog for her long haired cats but doesn't actually find the cat & dog head the best. She still thinks it's loads better than her 2 previous dysons though.

BudaBones Sat 31-Oct-09 08:40:28

Miele! Have the cat & dog one too and really like it.

Lucky13 Sat 31-Oct-09 08:52:07

Great - Miele it is then!

Now which one - argos seem to have the more expensive HEPA filter one for less here

but it doesn't have the turbo brush - however i hated the dyson turbo brush and never used it. I can always buy one later if i feel i'm missing out!

Which tool does everyone use for the stairs?

CarGirl Sat 31-Oct-09 09:05:41

I use my main head for the stairs, although we've got wooden open plan stairs......

CaptainUnderpants Sat 31-Oct-09 09:46:01

I have the Miele s4211 - which is one down from the cat and dog one but in Which ? tests performed just as well .

I changed to a Meile when our Dyson packed up. Meile is far lighter for stairs etc , I found the Dyson quite cumberson.

i also got fed up with emptying the clyinder on the Dyson in bin and getting covered in dust !

mrsfossil Sat 31-Oct-09 20:18:19

Hi don't know what miele are like but haven't been that pleased with dyson. While it was under guarentee had to have it repair twice. Also seems very clumsy to pull around (its a cylinder model). I wouldn't buy another dyson

ByTheSea Sat 31-Oct-09 20:22:31

After two crap Dysons, I got a Miele Cat and Dog. I will never look back - it is brilliant.

Ronaldinhio Sat 31-Oct-09 20:25:36

I have a miele cat and dog also

fab

PCPlumIsMyHomeboy Sat 31-Oct-09 20:27:56

Got my Miele for a great price from here:

www.ogormans.co.uk/miele.htm

saltcod Sat 31-Oct-09 22:44:32

def. get the turbo brush if getting the miele. It's tonnes better than the standard brush!

Ixia Sun 08-Nov-09 23:08:43

Bought our Miele in Alder's closing down sale (whenever that was), we are serial house renovators and it has been used to suck up tons of plaster dust/sawdust and other crap and is still going strong. Love the parquet brush for hard floors, turbo brush is noisy and gets clogged up if you have long hair and moult a lot (that's me not a pet), but I don't find it necessary anyway.

My Mil's Dyson was forever breaking and her cleaner (!) fetches her own hoover as she hates Dysons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now