Talk

Advanced search

Quality washer dryer under £300? Is there such a thing?

(12 Posts)
lunavix Wed 15-Jun-05 10:55:14

We need to get one (if just to keep my totsbots nice and soft!) but our budget is around £275 - is it possible to get a decent one?

NomDePlume Wed 15-Jun-05 11:05:49

has anyone on here got a subscription to Which? or anything ? Maybe a consumer testing site is what you need, Lunavix ?

anchovies Wed 15-Jun-05 11:09:59

We have got a Candy one, can't remember how much it was but it was cheap. 1500 spin and we've had it about 4 years now with no probs at all.

NomDePlume Wed 15-Jun-05 11:18:22

You have to register first but this may help

TwinSetAndPearls Wed 15-Jun-05 11:37:43

Do you not have room for separate ones, work much better and if something goes wrong with the dryer you still have the washer and vice versa. I used to have a combined machine but the dryer just seemed to make the clothes warm and damp. when we bough new house the vendors left a dryer and we bought a new washer. The dryer is much quicker than the washer dryer so saves on electric. I am sure you get a dryer fot about £100 which leaves £200 for a washer surely do-able.

anchovies Wed 15-Jun-05 11:42:21

Completely agree with TSAP, combined is a pain, have to do all washing before starting drying or it takes forever. Also capacity is much smaller for washer/dryer than for standalone dryer. Having said that if you can't fit both in (we can't) they are defo better than not having a one at all.

Easy Wed 15-Jun-05 12:00:05

I actually think a single washer-dryer is more convenient.

But don't buy indesit. My mum bought one cos it was cheap, but everything comes out VERY creased, really looks screwed up.

anchovies Wed 15-Jun-05 12:03:16

The creased thing happens when I put too much stuff in and then dry it for too long. Don't think it's specific to the make?

Easy Wed 15-Jun-05 12:08:21

No honestly, it is. We have tried every combination, and it all comes out looking dreadful.

anchovies Wed 15-Jun-05 12:10:49

What a pain easy, I only use my dryer to avoid ironing!

TwinSetAndPearls Wed 15-Jun-05 12:34:44

I would second indesit as a poor choice, my washer dryer was an indesit and it died repeatedly whne just out of warranty. And the drier was useless.

Easy is your drier setting too high? Like anchovies I avoid ironing towels, sheets and smalls by using the tumble dryer and when coupled with tesco's conditioning tunmble dryer sheets it all comes out lovely.

Easy Thu 16-Jun-05 10:42:20

Hmm, you have just reminded me. The engineer has had to come out to it twice, and it's not quite 2 years old.

I'll check the drier setting next time I go to my mother's. I don't think it's that tho', she has read the manual at least 6 times and changed settings to try to get round the problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now