Talk

Advanced search

Tumble Dryer

(11 Posts)
Benjy Wed 28-Oct-09 08:29:58

I'm moving house soon and have two small children so I want to buy a vented tumble dryer at last. At the moment I have a washer dryer which I've stopped using because it never gets the clothes dry. The only space in the kitchen is opposite the external wall. Would I be able to keep the dryer there but move it across the kitchen when I want to use it so I can put the tube out of the window? It's a bit of a silly question but I've never had a separate dryer before and have no idea how easy or not it would be to move the dryer.

SCARYspicemonster Wed 28-Oct-09 08:32:41

Why don't you get a condenser dryer rather than a vented one? Mine is brilliant and dries things really quickly. Dryers are not that easy to move - they're not really heavy but they're a bit awkward. I suppose you could put it on wheels or something if you were determined to have a vented dryer.

Benjy Wed 28-Oct-09 08:36:34

I've heard bad reports of condenser dryers, which has put me off a little. What make do you have?

SCARYspicemonster Wed 28-Oct-09 09:25:08

Bosch. I don't know why they get such bad reports - mine is ace. I think they used to be rubbish but mine is very efficient. They are more expensive though I think

MrsJohnDeere Wed 28-Oct-09 17:02:34

I've got a John Lewis condenser dryer. Also very efficient, imho - takes about 55 minutes to dry a whole load of washing.

cheeseandeyeballsarnie Wed 28-Oct-09 17:06:47

weve had this problem.new house with no where for dryer or dishwasher(sob).we were told condenser dryers are rubbish too so we got a huge new airer for the landing-which is great until the bedding needs doing or i foget to wash the uniforms!

Rosie29 Thu 29-Oct-09 08:42:10

I have a condenser, never seen vented ones where I am (Greece). Mines a AEG/Electrolux one and no complaints here. My Mum has a vented one and I can't tell the difference. I don't really use it to dry all the washing though, just to finish it off or in an emergency. I would say that moving it is out of the question, they are heavy!
HTH

Ixia Sun 08-Nov-09 23:12:17

We've got a Bosch condenser, no problems at all, had it a few years. We move a lot and it's handy as it can go anywhere. We initially had a Hoover condenser, made them take it back as it had so many problems. The difference in build quality was obvious with the Bosch.

PCPlumIsMyHomeboy Sun 08-Nov-09 23:14:59

have just bought a Bosch condenser, instead of old Washer Dryer, It is AMAZING!

dearprudence Sun 08-Nov-09 23:16:48

My condenser dryer is a Candy Smart (cheapo) with 7kg load, and it's great. I use it semi-regularly (mainly for towels, bedding, etc) and have always been happy with it.

Now, I am very unlucky with appliances, so if sod's law kicks in and the damned thing breaks now, I'll be v pissed off!

feedthegoat Sun 08-Nov-09 23:23:42

Benjy, I've got a tumble dryer with a vent that you put out of the window. In my last house I kept it in the cupboard under the stairs and just brought it out when we were using it. I also used to drag it into the middle of the kitchen in the house before that too.

It's kept in the corner of the conservertory where we are now so I don't have to drag it about anymore but it was never a problem. It is however one of those smallish compact one (White Knight).

Given that I've had it through 3 houses I also reckon it is probably knocking on for 10 years old now (if it is not there already!) and it is still going strong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now