Talk

Advanced search

Anyone elses child have to have cotton only for eczema? Where do you buy your winter hats and coats?

(24 Posts)
used2bthin Mon 26-Oct-09 14:19:24

DD is three and reacts badly to wool and (I think) polyester. I need to get her a winter coat and a hat and gloves, probably in cotton.

So far I have onl seen any of it in Jojo bebe. I'll order friom there if I can't find anything else but am not keen especially as the ha etc is in pale pink and I think se'd trash it very quickly.

Thanks!

MrsBadger Mon 26-Oct-09 15:00:53

jojo have lovely striped and peruvian-style embroidered stuff in cotton too, and the plain ones all come in navy.

I'd try for a waterproof coat with a cotton jersey lining rather than an all-cotton coat thus or similar which won't be as warm and will be awful in the wet. Not sure I've seen anythign quite right yet but will keep my eyes open.

NB if you have a cotton scarf round her neck first the coat will barely touch her skin anyway...

used2bthin Mon 26-Oct-09 17:33:08

Thanks MrsBadger, she has a raincoat with lining at the moment but it isn't going to be warm enough for the whole winter I don't think. Good idea about cotton scarf, I quite like jojo's hat with scarf attached although not sure if DD would keep it on.

Just looked again and can't see any stripey stuff in cotton-maybe it is just in the shops ot online yet?

Thanks for keepng an eye out, I keep almost buying the Gap warmest coat or one of the Jojo ones then thinking I bet the perfect all cotton, warm one will come along the minute I do!

used2bthin Mon 26-Oct-09 19:53:29

Bump-anything not wool or polyester? Or cotton lined or any other ideas?

used2bthin Mon 26-Oct-09 20:08:57

O and also if anyone has seen girls nighties in cotton, long sleeved and not crazy money (Boden and Monsoon are £20 plus!) and cotton dressing gowns I'd be really grateful.

pointyhat Mon 26-Oct-09 20:13:01

We had a job getting dd2 hat and scarf in cotton. My mum knitted for her in the end

pointyhat Mon 26-Oct-09 20:13:32

my mum also got her a cotton dressing gown from White Co - expensive

nightofthewakingdead Mon 26-Oct-09 20:13:51

If you can't find any children's cotton scarves, get an adult one and make it a bit smaller.

I have bad eczema and can't wear wool or many synthetic fibres, especially round my neck.

I can cope with a fleece-material hat on a really cold day.

Try a cord cord? - just check the cuffs are not too hard feeling and don't rub, I have a parka-type coat that is fine, others irritate my wrists.

Wouldn't she be better in pjs rather than a nighty? Would stop her itching her legs.

I prefer crisp cotton pjs they are less itchy - or brushed cotton for really cold nights.

CaptainNancy Mon 26-Oct-09 20:23:14

H&M have winter hats in cotton (though boys'... haven't looked at girls, sorry) We had lovely hat and gloves last winter from Gymboree, but they don't sell in the UK anymore, and you have to order from USA, so taxes/import duty can be an issue.

The gap warmest ones really are the best winter coats- they are so toasty, and I find the cold really aggravates my dd's eczema, so I'd rather she was warm- tbh she always has long-sleeved cotton tops on anyway.

Perhaps a gilet/body-warmer underneath a mac would be warm enough? (I suppose it depends whereabouts you are, and how cold it is this winter) n The Joules ones are cotton lined if that helps. (though not the cheapest I've seen <ahem>)

pjs- M&S have quite a good range atm, also sainsbury, which isn't too bad for a 'supermarket' range. Dressing gowns- we always have the towelling ones from White company- expensive, but almost indestructable, and pass on down well.

used2bthin Mon 26-Oct-09 20:26:22

Thanks pointyhat, that has reminded me that my friend's mum sells hats and she said she'd ask if she would make one from cotton for DD. Maybe she would knit a scarf too. Haven't looked at white company-bet they do cotton nighties too, don't know if I dare look!

nightofthewakingdead thanks yes cord would be good. So far all I have found are the Jojo ones. I've just realsied her raincoat has a thin fleece lining (I think) and she is fine with that so maybe I don'yt need to worry too much about lining? As long as its not that sort of sweaty material!

The nightie isn't essential its more that I've been looking for ages for one, she is in nappies at night but hopefully won't be soon and I thought it may be easier. Her eczema is odd and not really typical it doesn't seem to itch much. In fact she was diagnosed as having psoriasis on her arms and eczema or psoriasis on her face, the face i where it gets really really bad in winter though. Nothing on her legs luckily.

used2bthin Mon 26-Oct-09 20:30:01

Captainnancy thank you I haven't looked at Joules so will have a look now. I really love the GAP warmest coat I am worried though that the down would aggravate DDs skin and don't want to waste money if it did. It looked well padded though so maybe the down wouldnt be anywhere near her skin I'm not sure how it works.

Oh dear white company it is then,..Gap don't seem to do kids dressing gowns do they? They had some adults dressing gowns that would be perfect if they were in her size.

CaptainNancy Mon 26-Oct-09 21:00:43

Interesting- my dd's eczema doesn't seem to itch at all either.

re the face- we have a lovely cream from weleda called calendula weather protection cream (from largish Boots or Waitrose), which has been good on dd's cheeks.

re the gap coats... the fleece lining is thickish, so not sure about irritation (depends if your dd has a down allergy- mine doesn't) but v occasionally the feathers poke through. The fleece bit is just on the body- the sleeves are lined in that smooth nylon that suit jackets and skirts are usually lined with. (have dd's on my knee as I type! grin)

MadBadAndWieldingAnAxe Mon 26-Oct-09 21:11:19

Can you sew?

If you can find stretchy cotton, there are lots of patterns for children's fleece hats which would work in other stretch fabric. Pyjamas and dressing gowns are pretty easy to sew too. Most pattern books have an 'easy' section with children's patterns.

CaptainNancy Mon 26-Oct-09 21:11:25

Oh- are you anywhere near a John Lewis?
Because they have Joules clothing instore at our branch, so you could go and see the gilets in the flesh so to speak... and also- they have this nightdress in 100% cotton - bit more reasoable pricewise too smile
(though my dd (dry at night since april) always wears pjs...never been a bother)

pointyhat Mon 26-Oct-09 21:17:19

oh heavnes! My dd's eczema has never itched much at all either and every doctor/consultant we have ever come into contact with has never believed us! I am treated like the bonkers nuts mum who controls her daughter. I am really reaally pleased to havec ome across other people who have a fairly non-itchy eczema

MrsBadger Mon 26-Oct-09 21:27:16

[just come back to this]
re Jojo, I had the new Christmas catalogue through the door this morning - has lots of stuff in that's not yet online, but give it time.
in fact they have the stripey hat thus online already - the scarf and mittens are in the pic but no option to buy them yet. If you give them a ring I bet they will know the codes.

nightofthewakingdead Mon 26-Oct-09 21:30:12

Would somebody like to find me an ADULT cotton hat for this winter then!!!? grin

used2bthin Mon 26-Oct-09 21:32:44

Thanks for the link! At last a cotton nightie!I don't have one near by but mey order anyway as think its free delivery and returns. Gap coat is sounding promising too. I'm not sure if her skin reacts to down. She seems to get worse if she is too hot though and if cold wind blows on her so can't win!I'll get some of the weather protection stuff its worth a go. Last time we saw the dermatologist we came away with a bag of creams to try out from the eczema nurse!

Madbad I wish I could but I can't sew blush I'll deinately ask my friend again if her mum would make the hat for me though. Also I have two aunts who knit and ma help out if asked nicely, hmm.

I was expecting you all to say "what, it doesn't itch-thats not eczema then!"but it seems DD isn't the only one.

CaptainNancy Mon 26-Oct-09 21:35:00

Oh NOW I know who pointyhat is! [very dim cap'n emoticon]

DS' eczema is a million times better now he is older- so many many thanks for your help when he was wee! smile

pointyhat Mon 26-Oct-09 21:38:09

?

Have you name-changed, cap'n, in a more confusing way than I have?

CaptainNancy Mon 26-Oct-09 21:47:39

blush yes... oops!

used2bthin Mon 26-Oct-09 21:48:10

x posted thanks mrsBadger that is a nice hat. I think I'll get a catalogue, haven't had one in a while. Oh dear I actually feel excited at the prospect of stuff I have't seen!

CaptainNancy Mon 26-Oct-09 21:56:11

Oh and pointy... I'm even more of a dolt, because it was actually foxinsocks who helped...you wished me well! blushblushblushblush I frequently confuse the 2 of you- no offence intended.

pointyhat Tue 27-Oct-09 18:00:17

lol - so I didn't help at all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now