Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for a small, cheap, BUT RELIABLE new (or nearly new) car?

(12 Posts)
Concordia Sun 25-Oct-09 14:14:31

Hi,
we have a focus cmax as our main car but unfortunately(and we have tried to find a way to work around it and be just a one car family) we do need a second car for nursery collections (did it last week 2 hours on public transport / walking combo round trip vs 15 mins in car) and for DH to go to work as he works shifts. (I use the other car for my business).
Our 7 yo VW polo is causing us £1000 a year in service and repair bills now (don't anyone ever tell you they are reliable - ours certainly isn't!) so we are looking to replace it as think this will be cheaper in the medium term. We don't need anything as big as the polo it will do mainly short journeys of up to 10 miles across cities and we will use the other car for holidays where we pack the boot up etc.
We want new or fairly new as the trips to the garage are doing our heads in.
But we do need to fit two toddler car seats in the back.
Any suggestions (sorry for long post)

Concordia Sun 25-Oct-09 14:15:47

No, correction, i think the polo has cost us £1500 this year in service and repairs....grrrrr

ihatethecold Sun 25-Oct-09 17:48:26

i have a hyundai i20 which is fab, after roadtesting lots of cars as i had a car to scrap, i went for this because its cheap to run had loads of extras as statndard, has 5 yrs warranty.. i love it. i found the little cars like the aygo/107 are noisy as hell inside and they costed the same as my cat but without any extras and i have loads more room. HTH

SCARYspicemonster Sun 25-Oct-09 17:56:07

For reliability, I don't think you can beat Japanese cars but if you're going to buy fairly new, you could probably get anything really - most newish cars are pretty reliable. I'm (unfashionably) a big fan of Peugeots - I'm now on my 4th. I think they're well-designed, cheap and have good engines.

herbietea Sun 25-Oct-09 18:04:07

Message withdrawn

nighbynight Sun 25-Oct-09 18:06:51

you must be unlucky with teh Polo, I have had great experience with VW.

How about a Ford Fiesta? they are pretty reliable.
Toyotas good up to 13 years old, then everything goes at once, so I have heard.

ihatethecold Sun 25-Oct-09 19:20:35

but they are expensive herbietea, and you dont get alot for your money. the noise inside if you drive on a dual carriageway is horrid.

Mummyisamonster Sun 25-Oct-09 19:32:50

I know they're not exactly trendy but Skoda's are great - cheap (you get a lot for your money, esp compared to VWs) and not expesnive to run. I''m on my second, and love it.

Also heard good things abuot Hyundi.

Good luck

Concordia Sun 25-Oct-09 23:17:26

ooh thanks, will print this out and give to DH to discuss. we are considering the Hyundi (sorry can't spell)i10 or the toyota aygo so it's good to year people's opinions.
if anyone else wants to chip in feel free as cars are a bit of a mystery to me (and DH isn't really a car person either)

herbietea Mon 26-Oct-09 12:43:06

Message withdrawn

nymphadora Mon 26-Oct-09 12:46:25

Toyota yaris is v good, I have a 53 and has loads of space for a little car

nymphadora Mon 26-Oct-09 12:46:25

Toyota yaris is v good, I have a 53 and has loads of space for a little car

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now