Talk

Advanced search

Computer Download Question for AOL experts - Help please!

(11 Posts)
Earlybird Mon 13-Jun-05 18:52:57

Hello - I am a technology novice, and need help. I have been sent some documents via email that I need to download to read/print. I have downloaded the zip file, but cannot open/read as an AOL banner pops up saying "this file is too large to open using AOL. Please use another application".

Can anyone please advise what other applications might be suitable? And, if it involves downloading software, I would be forever grateful for a link.

Thank you so much!

SaintGeorge Mon 13-Jun-05 18:57:17

If you google 'winzip' you should be able to find loads of sites to choose from and it should do the trick.

Earlybird Thu 16-Jun-05 12:07:17

OK, I've dowloaded winzip, and the logo now appears on my desktop. How do I actually use it to download/open documents? Sorry for being so dim.... , but I need someone to spell it out for me.

SaintGeorge Thu 16-Jun-05 12:08:59

Normally with zip files if you try to open the file it will automatically unzip itself because you now have the relevant software installed.

Earlybird Thu 16-Jun-05 12:13:22

Does it matter that I've already downloaded the files once? That's how I found out that they were too large to open using AOL. Should I download again, and winzip will automatically take over?

Have a distant past memory (when I used to be in an office) of having to right click on the mouse when using winzip, but I am probably confused....

SaintGeorge Thu 16-Jun-05 12:15:42

If you have already downloaded then they might be saved on your PC. Find them and try to open them. Shout if you still can't do it.

Trying to remember exactly as mine just open automatically but can't recall if that is because I did something in the setup.

Earlybird Thu 16-Jun-05 12:18:02

Thanks for your help. Will see how I get on, and hopefully won't have to post again!

Earlybird Thu 16-Jun-05 22:46:30

OK - downloaded the documents again, but before I can open them a winzip banner pops up saying I must pay $29 in order to buy the software. Is there anyplace I can get this for free, or am I obliged to pay?

womba1 Thu 16-Jun-05 22:50:24

Earlybird, it should give you the option of having a 28 day free trial. Then you can decide whether or not to pay the $29.
I downloaded the free ofer a few days ago!

womba1 Thu 16-Jun-05 22:51:02

Whoops... offer..not ofer!!

Earlybird Thu 16-Jun-05 23:00:30

Thanks womba. I had the winzip software on my desktop, but it was deleted when a PC World "health check" required taking the computer back to factory settings......grrrr....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: