Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Are there any of the knowledgable car men around today?

(92 Posts)
peckarollover Mon 13-Jun-05 13:06:55

You may have read that my car was burnt to the ground in an arson attack a couple of weeks ago

Im looking for a new car.

I have 2 kids and will probably have another within the next few years.

I am also in the process of registering to be a childminder so a 7 seater is looking likely.

BUT and its a big BUT what is the cheapest I can get one for without it being realllllly crap. Any particular models to look for?

I would also really like something that is as economic to run as possible. Are there many that are diesel?

I have bought the auto trader today but my brain is hurting already!

NomDePlume Mon 13-Jun-05 13:07:50

i think the vauxhall zafira is meant to be good, pecka

NomDePlume Mon 13-Jun-05 13:08:46

honest john is meant to be a good site for car info

NomDePlume Mon 13-Jun-05 13:09:29

HonestJohn site

peckarollover Mon 13-Jun-05 15:10:32

Thanks NDP Will have a read of what John has to say!

lemonice Mon 13-Jun-05 15:48:02

Fiat Doblo now available with seven seat option

peckarollover Mon 13-Jun-05 22:01:15

I think I fancy a Diesel Zafira, anyone got one?

What is the cheapest I could get a used one for would you guess? Ballpark figure?

Janh Mon 13-Jun-05 22:05:27

nooo, I didn't hear about your car, how awful!!!!

I have a diesel Zafira, mine is nearly 3 years old, bought it at 9 months old and it was £11,500, I think the equivalent is quite a lot cheaper now. You want one post-2002 - the 03 model has a lap-and-shoulder belt in the middle seat.

I will have a rummage for you.

peckarollover Mon 13-Jun-05 22:06:07

Oh I love you

Yes, some b*stards burnt it to the ground in the middle of the night

blodwen Mon 13-Jun-05 22:07:50

Nissan Serena is a good buy for childminders. I and 2 cm friends have them and very pleased. Good value second hand, available in 7 or 8 seat versions.

Janh Mon 13-Jun-05 22:13:11

Here's one - at random - £8,500, 03 reg.

If you go to one of those supermarket places you can get an Opel Zafira brand new for about £10K. I'll have a look for one of those. Obviously the resale value is lower too but assume you'd be planning to keep it a bit?

I am shocked about your car - how horrible for you - hope there wasn't a lot in it?

peckarollover Mon 13-Jun-05 22:19:52

There was lots in it

lots of documents, pushchair, two carseats, satellite navigation, kids coats etc

it also set fire to my whole garden fence and gates and the mess from the fire ruined my carpets

peckarollover Mon 13-Jun-05 22:21:51

I found one earlier that had been converted for LPG fuel. Is that lots cheaper?

Janh Mon 13-Jun-05 22:27:37

Oh, becca

What is the matter with people?

Anyway, after a rummage I have found a dealer at Winsford (Cheshire, I know it's a long way but they have good prices) - Fords of Winsford - they have a 2004 2.0 dti Life, 15,000 miles, for £9,500. Can't do a link to it but if you go to their website you'll find it.

I'm sure there are places like that where you are too but I couldn't find one! Anyway I am pretty happy with my Zafira and the people I know who have them are too - I have a few niggles about mine but they have been ironed out in later models. (Check for split rear seat, so you can slide part of it forward and still leave someone sitting in the other part, and for shoulder belt in middle seat.)

Janh Mon 13-Jun-05 22:29:26

Yes, LPG fuel is much cheaper - you don't get the same mpg but as it's less than half the price of diesel that doesn't matter. You can't buy it everywhere yet but it's getting more and more widely available. OTOH the tank takes some of your boot space I think.

What was the price of the car like compared with diesel?

peckarollover Mon 13-Jun-05 22:31:14

auto trader search

Janh Mon 13-Jun-05 22:36:18

Oh, OK - quite an old one - what is your budget for this? The newer ones are better quality now than the old from what I've read - OTOH someone near me still has a T reg they've had from new.

peckarollover Mon 13-Jun-05 22:39:53

Well.....its one of those that I shouldnt "really" be spending much at all.

But I dont see the point in replacing my small car (clio) when we could get sooo much benefit from an MPV.

Still the fact remains we cant afford much.

Would an old one be useless?

Janh Mon 13-Jun-05 22:49:53

I don't knoooow, becca!

I had a look at Honest John's "what's bad" for older Zafiras and there wasn't a lot really - here . There can be problems with burning oil and wet carpets but he recommends the range (and I trust him like a brother!)

Do you have any mechanical friends?

Janh Mon 13-Jun-05 22:52:11

Thing is, I spose, if you're not going to go for a really new one (with shoulder belt in back) then it doesn't really matter how old it is, as long as it's a good one!

peckarollover Mon 13-Jun-05 22:55:59

Yeah, I think although I would love a new one it is probably out of the question. I will have to accept no middle shoulder belt. I have 2 kids so that wont be an everyday issue will just mean that I lose one safe seat for minded children.

Am I barking up the right tree do you htink in the zafira? Or will the be a better old mpv for me?

Jayzmummy Mon 13-Jun-05 23:00:30

VW Sharan 1.9 diesel is excellent for diesel fuel consumption. Very comfortable drive and loads of room. DH has just said the Zafaira's have had a few electrical problems with those registered before 03 and the fuel consumption is quiet heavy.

Janh Mon 13-Jun-05 23:03:56

Ah, well, which is the best...!!!

There is a link at top L on Honest John's site where you can email him - if you tell him your budget, and how many seats you need, he will recommend the best alternatives.

hub2dee Mon 13-Jun-05 23:48:34

There have been a couple of threads on this. You may want to try archive searching 'seater' or '7' in subject and also searching user jazzybee - a friend of mine who is a car nut who posted a while back when someone had some car queries.

HTH

peckarollover Tue 14-Jun-05 09:55:45

Zafiras are everywhere arent they!

Waiting for the bus to school this morning I saw about 6!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now