Talk

Advanced search

What are your "can't live without" garden items for an 8, 5 and 1 year old?

(19 Posts)
IlanaK Sat 17-Oct-09 20:29:34

We are moving to a place with a garden soon (if all goes through!). We will definately have the netted trampoline - that is a must. The garden is not huge - 50ft. So what else is a must have - what will they really use?

We are thinking of getting something like this because it combines storage with a play fort type thing.

What else do we need?

SCARYspicemonster Sat 17-Oct-09 20:39:16

Ooh you found somewhere! That looks pretty good. A swing is not a bad idea but loads of things that you can put away are what I rely on - a massive paddling pool (big enough to be filled to chest height for sitting down children), childrens boules (if the garden is flat enough), swing tennis (or whatever it's called)

IlanaK Sat 17-Oct-09 20:56:04

Is there one thing you would not be without if you had to choose one?

SCARYspicemonster Sat 17-Oct-09 21:01:42

Paddling pool. Because even if the weather is even vaguely warm, children love splashing around in it. And there is nothing nicer than sitting on comfy chairs gossiping with a friend while sipping rose while children are safely occupied shrieking with laughter over 3 inches of water nearby wink

Clary Sat 17-Oct-09 21:07:18

football goals x 2

skipping ropes.

For 1yo (I no longer have one) a slide and a plastic seesaw thing.

GentleOtter Sat 17-Oct-09 21:12:13

sand pit

IlanaK Sat 17-Oct-09 21:21:15

I was thinking of a sandpit. I thought this one looked good as thebench seats fold down as a cover.

A paddling pool is good too, but one I can easily put away.

IlanaK Sat 17-Oct-09 21:21:47

I have a popup football goal that we use in our flat - would that do?

misdee Sat 17-Oct-09 21:26:42

playhouse.

all dd's love it. dd1 uses it to hide away from the others. dd2+3 play in there like children usual;ly do. dd4 tries to get it there.

TeeteringOnTheEdge Sat 17-Oct-09 21:27:23

A little shed.

Honestly - will last forever and can be updated as the kids grow. Get them to paint it, add shelves and curtains. And KEYS - they love keys!

And a good sturdy swing and climbing frame.

IlanaK Sat 17-Oct-09 21:29:09

I have three boys who are just not into the little playhouse things at all. That's why I liked the fort/platform thing I linked to as an alternative.

Pyrocanthus Sat 17-Oct-09 21:35:22

We got a double swing for DD2's 1st birthday, and have replaced it this year with an industrial strength one as DD1 (now 12) had outgrown it and the two of them desperately wanted to carry on swinging together.

IlanaK Sat 17-Oct-09 21:40:07

Hmmmm....this is making me realise how individual this is. My boys are not into swinging really. Well, my one year old is. He would swing all day, but the older two are not.

bosch Sat 17-Oct-09 21:45:13

In order, for my boys aged 8, 6 and 3 - I'd say trampoline, sandpit (never got it out this summer, but last summer, it got a lot of use!), and playhouse - it has storage, play and 'den' potential. Look at something with big double doors that you can use as a summer house when they have grown out of it/,moved on...)

Pyrocanthus Sat 17-Oct-09 21:54:19

IlanaK - isn't it? I can't tell you what a relief it was when they both became old enough not to need pushing.

Clary Sun 18-Oct-09 12:27:59

yes it is individual isn't it.

If your DSs like football, you need a big metal framed goal (or rather 2) , not the pop up one which we found bobbins.

But, of course, they may not like footie!

Sandpit good for th little one.

BrigitGraveKnicker Sun 18-Oct-09 12:40:45

Swing ball is fab- doesn't take up much space and means kids can play with a bat and ball without constantly knocking on the neighbours door for their ball back.

Also one of those shell sandpit things. Sand in one side, water in the other. When it's time to go in, tip out the water and use it for a cover for the sand to keep out the local cats and foxes.

IlanaK Sun 18-Oct-09 20:08:56

No way can we have swingball. The only times my ds1 has used them (at other people's houses) he has knocked himself out!

Yes, it think a sandpit is a must.

Avendesora Mon 19-Oct-09 11:04:52

Sand pit, watering cans and a little wheel barrow.

Also, a second hand toy kitchen gets a lot of use

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now