Talk

Advanced search

cot bed duvets - which tog?

(7 Posts)
hophophippidtyhop Sat 17-Oct-09 19:41:25

I need to get one of these for my 2 yo dd. Most of them seem to be 4, though john lewis has one that's 7. What's the usual tog rating to buy? At the moment she's in pyjama's with a doubled fleece blanket from ikea that she normally kicks off. Is a 4 the standard to go for, I know it works a bit different from adult tog ratings. Or would a 7 see her all the way through winter - do you switch to a warmer one in Jan if you have a 4?

blissieblue Sat 17-Oct-09 19:45:43

I just bought a 4 tog duvet for DS2. DS1 has a 4 tog all year round and he is never cold - on really chilly nights I just chuck a fleece blanket over him. DH and I usually sleep under 4 tog all round too come to think of it - I find 9/10 tog just too hot.

Seona1973 Sat 17-Oct-09 19:52:02

the maximum recommended tog rating for a cotbed is 4/4.5tog whereas for a single bed it would be 10/10.5tog. Both my lo's went straight to single beds and have 4.5tog in the summer and 10.5tog in winter (me and dh have the same tog ratings too)

Seona1973 Sat 17-Oct-09 19:53:48

the reasoning for it is given on the bumpto3 website:

Because the size of the cot bed is smaller it automatically retains more heat when the child is sleeping, however, the larger surface area in a single bed means the child only heats the area he/she is sleeping in, therefore, a higher tog rating is required on the single bed size.

Do not exceed the maximum recommended tog duvet, which is 4 tog for children in cots or cot beds and 10 tog for children in single beds

hophophippidtyhop Sat 17-Oct-09 19:54:38

Didn't think of popping the fleece over when needed. Think I'm passing my own need for heat on, which she doesn't seem to have! I'll go for the 4 then. Thanks!

hophophippidtyhop Sat 17-Oct-09 19:57:10

Ah Seona, just seen your message, that makes sense now! 4 it is then!

SparkyToo Wed 21-Oct-09 22:39:21

I'd definitely go for the 4 / 4.5 tog as you can use it all year round, putting a blanket over the top in the winter (depending upon how warm/cool your house is). This is a really good cot bed duvet, which also comes with a cot bed pillow. It's also available as a 7 tog should you change your mind - decisions, decisions. I've found since having children I just can't make decisions in the same easy way I used to!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now