Talk

Advanced search

Bumbos - are they really worth the cash?

(22 Posts)
saltyseadog Fri 16-Oct-09 21:13:26

Bumbos were just being launched when dd was small, so they passed me by last time. However now they seem part of the pre-reqs for having a baby. Are they worth the ££ or are they a gimmick?

nancy75 Fri 16-Oct-09 21:14:27

i bought one for dd and took it back, she could get out of it!

Jojay Fri 16-Oct-09 21:15:22

They are useful but hardly essential.

Lots of cheap second hand ones on Ebay

ilikeyoursleeves Fri 16-Oct-09 21:15:29

ds and i both hated them! waste of money imo

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Fri 16-Oct-09 21:15:55

My ds loved his bumbo but dd hated it and screamed everytime she was put in it.

Besom Fri 16-Oct-09 21:17:22

No, not for my dd anyway. We had one of those blow up donut ring things which helped her to sit up and she preferred that to the bumbo.

AitchTwoToTangOh Fri 16-Oct-09 21:17:44

you're likely to be able to borrow one, people are always desperate to get them out of the house. dd1 used one briefly, like for a fortnight, dd2 hated it, so imo not worth it at all.

saltyseadog Fri 16-Oct-09 21:19:55

LOL. I guess the answer's no - I don't need one

DungeonButter Fri 16-Oct-09 21:21:24

I got one from ebay (local pick up) for £18.

6 months later after lots of use I sold it on ebay (local pick up again) for £15.

Was worth it for me.

BloodshotEyeballs Fri 16-Oct-09 21:24:21

I don't like the idea of them. They seem to be forcing babies to sit up before they are ready. I know they are supported but still, I can't see a need for it.

preggersplayspop Fri 16-Oct-09 21:25:03

My DS was not keen on it at all so was a bit of a waste of money for us really. He's been trying it out again more recently aged 2, and seems to like it a whole lot more!

Ceebee74 Fri 16-Oct-09 21:29:44

Going against the grain - both my Ds's liked it.

Ds2 is now 11 months old and I still use it - only use it now for the odd meal (I also got the tray that you can get so ideal for giving him finger foods).

Ds2 started sitting in it from about 5 months so definitely had my money's worth out of it (Ds1 also sits in it occasionally aswell even though he is 3.3 hmm)

spiderlight Fri 16-Oct-09 21:29:45

My DS loved his, especially with the play tray, and we got loads of use out of it. I loved it too because it was given to us free grin

PenguinProject Fri 16-Oct-09 22:24:03

Fun for about 3 months. I'd get one again next time, but only cheaply off ebay.

My DS looked like he was sitting in an arm chair, so worth it for the cute factor.

inveteratenamechanger Fri 16-Oct-09 22:26:00

DD loved hers - she was late to sit for medical reasons, so loved that she could sit up in it. I did borrow one from a friend though, so would def. recommend getting one cheap. There are always loads in the local paper for £10.

Fleecy Fri 16-Oct-09 22:28:06

Both mine loved theirs - we had a Bebepod which is a bit cheaper. Bought on eBay though so not too expensive either way!

daisyj Fri 16-Oct-09 22:31:40

Find it really useful for feeding her: we sit it on the table (sounds dodgy, but she's always closely supervised in it). She is small for her age, so not quite ready for high chair, and it's nice to feed her facing her rather than seated on a lap. We were given a second hand one. I wouldn't buy one new, but as others have said, eBay has loads

daisyj Fri 16-Oct-09 22:32:52

'Her' is dd, obviously - shouldn't post when tired and tipsy!

lynniep Sat 17-Oct-09 15:29:06

DS hated. And could get out. Sold it again.

ilovesprouts Sat 17-Oct-09 15:32:55

i bought one foe my ds2 ,only used it twice,he would not sit in it ,so sold it imo they are not worth the money hmm

LadyOfTheFlowers Sat 17-Oct-09 15:39:21

I bought one for DS1 in 2005 and have used it now for 3 children and will use it again with DC4, though it is perishing slightly but still fully functional!

I have found it very useful for the early weaning stages, as has been mentioned, you can sit them on the dining table in it while you are obviously sat right next to them to feed them.

Mine we all chuffed to be able to sit up on their own in it and I did find within weeks of using the Bumbo they could sit unaided without it.
At a certain age though, they can pop themselves of it.

At the mo, it is out of use as DS3 is now sitting without it, but DS2 gets hours of fun out of it by squashing humself into it naked so it makes a fart sound. He does it over and over and finds it hilarious!

I would say, I personally have had my money out of it years ago. It's like any baby equipment really, some people love it, some people hate it.

Amandoh Sat 17-Oct-09 15:55:45

We found the Bumbo really useful for going out to restaurants and visiting friends and ended up buying two. One to keep in the car and one for in the house. They're redundant now though. Should Ebay them really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now