Talk

Advanced search

What do you buy for someone's who emigrating?

(11 Posts)
ElusiveMoose Wed 14-Oct-09 13:30:43

Er, that's it, really. My best friend and his family (wife and three little boys under 3) are emigrating in a few weeks' time (to Hong Kong) sad. I'd really like to get them some little presents before they go. I'm trying to think of things that will either remind them of home or help them settle into their new life. I also have to bear in mind that anything I give them will have to be shipped, so it can't be anything too big! Anyone got any bright ideas?

claricebeansmum Wed 14-Oct-09 13:32:16

Framed photo of you all?
Nice new address book?
A nice book about where you live?

StealthPolarBear Wed 14-Oct-09 13:32:52

ooh we're doing this at work, someone leaving to emigrate.
My own opinion is as little as possible - I want to give him the cash minus some new-place beers or chocolate or something.
Don't suppose that helps for friends.
Maybe buy some new music online for the adults?
Vouchers for shops in HK?

StealthPolarBear Wed 14-Oct-09 13:35:33

I really would hate to receive anything physical a few weeks before emigrating - something else to worry about storing / packing. DH's birthday was the Monday of the week we moved and I remember wishing people wouldn't give him presents until after we moved - and we were only going round the corner!

CheeryCherry Wed 14-Oct-09 13:36:29

We recently had friends emigrate to Oz, we decorated a plate with all our silly comments on, bought them a Yorkshire goodies hamper (because we are all from Yorkshire!!) and lots of families chipped in to buy a local painting of our village plus the shipping costs.
Hope that helps.

Avendesora Wed 14-Oct-09 14:07:22

I would think vouchers for some really nice shops/cinema in HK would work, or send a care parcel once they are there and the excitement has worn off. Writing paper and pens for the children? A book each for the plane?

Iklboo Wed 14-Oct-09 14:08:49

Maybe some non-perishable foodstuffs they can't get over there?

When our friend 'emigrated' to London from Manchester we bought her Holland's Pies & Vimto grin

ElusiveMoose Thu 15-Oct-09 13:14:43

Thanks for the brilliant ideas. I think I might try going for some vouchers. Off to find someone who knows about shopping in HK... Thanks again!

PenguinProject Fri 16-Oct-09 22:29:34

I'm about to emigrate to NZ and I would love stuff that I can't get there plus some silly things. Boots products, marmite, PG tips, accessorize british keyrings (a mini red postbox, red bus and black cab - I'm in London).

DH wants an old union jack flag that he can frame (brit pop style).

janeite Fri 16-Oct-09 22:31:49

My immediate thought was Marmite. Earl grey teabags because they are really light. For the little boys - those things where you draw with a plastic stick then pull it across so it disappears and you can draw again - would be great for the journey.

PenguinProject Fri 16-Oct-09 22:43:27

Branston pickle, HP sauce, if they are from London (sorry to be London centric here):
http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?V=1&Sec=16&Sub=68&PID=2328

or

http://www.harrods.c om/HarrodsStore/find/c/home,christmascollection09/pgs/89/p/000000000001867679

I hope some of my friends see this! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now