Talk

Advanced search

Where to buy a child's 'national costume' in London for Friday!

(17 Posts)
MoominOnABroomstick Tue 13-Oct-09 19:05:00

Does anyone know a real life shop in London or Surrey where I can buy some type of national costume for an 11-year-old girl in time for school on Friday? And not absurdly priced, please.

I was thinking a salwaar kameez or cheongsam might do, but we're not fussy.

The usual trick of hunting on Ebay isn't going to work because of the postal strikes.

Please help, or my name will be mud - I thought it was next month.blush

MoominOnABroomstick Tue 13-Oct-09 19:20:48

Bumping up.

MoominOnABroomstick Tue 13-Oct-09 19:41:01

I am going to be mud, aren't I?

MoominOnABroomstick Tue 13-Oct-09 20:09:52

Anyone?

iheartdusty Tue 13-Oct-09 20:13:11

any particular national costume?

have you googled fancy dress shops?

eg this one is in Hammersmith

iheartdusty Tue 13-Oct-09 20:16:06

sorry I meant this page

or arrange a courier delivery from an online shop?

MoominOnABroomstick Tue 13-Oct-09 21:06:58

Thanks, Dusty, they look really good but I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can find something cheaper. I do get so very tired of wasting money on various costumes for themed school days, and so very tired of school assuming I have a bottomless purse.

deepdarkwood Tue 13-Oct-09 21:12:56

Have you not got anything you can turn into a costume - much easier & cheaper smile?

Our school also allows you to dress in the colours of a country's flag...

pollywobbledoodle Tue 13-Oct-09 21:13:29

would she go for an england footie strip?
know anyone who has one?
what about a stripey t-shirt a beret and a baguette (or is that not pc)

iheartdusty Tue 13-Oct-09 21:58:09

where are you in London? Uxbridge and Tower Hamlets (to name but two!) are chock-full of saree and shalwar kameez shops

MoominOnABroomstick Tue 13-Oct-09 22:55:39

You're quite right, deepdarkwood but I lack the necessary skills, alas!

Fancy meeting you here, Polly. I did suggest she borrow her cousin's football gear but that was met with derision. It's meant to be a proper, pukka cozzie, apparently.

I'm in Croydon, Dusty and I've been Googling madly for sellers of Indian clothing because I'm sure I've seen some but I can't place them (or find them on Google or in Yellow Pages). Thank you, all.

Hmm, might be off to Soho tomorrow to see if I can find a mini cheongsam at inflated Soho prices sad. If not, I'll be trekking further east.

She can add it to the collection of dressing up costumes the school's required over the years: Victorian young lady, Victorian servant, Tudor lady, Roman lady, Greek lady, and numerous book characters...

ZZZenAgain Tue 13-Oct-09 23:04:01

you couldn't rustle up a pseudo flamenco look with what you have?

I mean if her hair is longish, put it in a bun and if her ears are pierced, maybe some hoops and then red-black outfit, preferably with some flounciness on the skirt (or even a plain black skirt with or dress with some net attached to it to make flouncy frills

Lotkinsgonecurly Tue 13-Oct-09 23:11:24

Loads of sari / indian shops London Road Norbury and Thornton Heath not too far from croydon

MoominOnABroomstick Tue 13-Oct-09 23:18:20

ZZZenAgain, I'm afraid I'd be stapling the poor child together and 11-year-olds get a bit snotty about costumes that fall apart halfway through the day.

Lotkins, yes, I was sure I'd seen some around there. Do you think they would do kids' sizes too? It's just with so little time and a toddler to lug along I don't want to be haring off to the wrong places.

ZZZenAgain Tue 13-Oct-09 23:21:30

dc saris not cheap last time I looked but depends on the shop I suppose

Firawla Wed 14-Oct-09 12:36:28

shalwar kameez you can get easily, try whitechapel, southall or green street they will have places with kids sizes and cheap

MoominOnABroomstick Wed 14-Oct-09 20:26:58

Happy day! I am no longer mud because we now have a pretty (and cheap) cheongsam for Friday.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will bear them in mind for the next national costume day because it is too much to hope this will be the last one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now