Talk

Advanced search

Scooter, balance bike or other - recommendations for enabling small kids to do long school run.

(11 Posts)
SpawnChorus Tue 13-Oct-09 14:07:30

We're moving and the DCs are going to have a 1.5 mile "commute" to nursery. They are 4.8 and 3.2. A large part of the walk is through a park, and it's all fairly flat terrain.

The walk takes about 20 mins at a brisk pace, but will be interminable with my slow walkers, and I'd like to avoid pushing them in the buggy (I will also have a baby in a sling, and will be knackered as I have to do the trip three times on some days). I'm wondering if a balance bike or scooter might speed things up. Or any other ideas?

Ideally it needs to be light as well, as I will prob end up carrying it at some point.

SpawnChorus Tue 13-Oct-09 14:44:37

bump

ChopsTheDuck Tue 13-Oct-09 14:45:48

scooters, defo. Mine managed 2 miles at a time with scooters from jsut over 2 years old.

SpawnChorus Tue 13-Oct-09 16:07:29

Thanks Chops! That's good to hear.

Hogiabach Tue 13-Oct-09 19:20:46

I have bought the mini micro scooter and BMW kids bike - both have been fantastic (though expensive initially) they become priceless. My DS1 is 4 and can now cycle without stabalisers independently and competently (kids bike starts off as a balance bike you then add the chain and pedals). He also loves the micro scooter as does my 21 month old DS2 - He can't wait to get on the kids bike but DS1 isn't willing to give it up yet.

Both items well worth the money when you consider the daily use.

Hogiabach Tue 13-Oct-09 19:23:21

Forgot to add, they often can do a good few miles a time!

SpawnChorus Tue 13-Oct-09 20:05:28

Yes, I had my eye on the micro mini scooter, and the BMW bike sounds great (have googled it and read more), but it is too £££ for us at the moment.

Hogiabach Tue 13-Oct-09 20:50:16

Oh shame, but I know what you mean - look on ebay they do sometimes come up that's micro scooter and kids bike.

Kittenpaws Wed 14-Oct-09 20:20:03

Micro scooters are the transport of choice here for the school run - there is a line of about ten of them outside the nursery door. We also do the school run 3 times a day and could not manage without the scooters - worth every penny

SpawnChorus Sat 17-Oct-09 20:07:09

Well I bought two mini micro scooters today and gave them a test drive. They're brilliant! I feel v confident that the DCs will manage the school run

ChopsTheDuck Tue 20-Oct-09 09:55:42

wohoo, that is good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now