Talk

Advanced search

Do you have one of those pull-out beds, where a single becomes a double?

(17 Posts)
Tobermory Mon 12-Oct-09 20:17:04

like this

Will be needing someting like this for DD, when our guest room becomes bedroom for DC2 next year. We rarely have overnight guests, sister and brother IL maybe 2/3 weekends per year.

Whats best...one where the beds end up side by side in a mock - but fairly uncomfortable- imitation of a double.

Or get one more like this
where the single beds end up at different heights?

scaryteacher Mon 12-Oct-09 22:08:44

I have beds like the first one. They are fine, and I provide single bedding for each. We have a very small double room so the bed is fine as a single, and just fits as a double.

Tobermory Tue 13-Oct-09 20:04:14

Thanks.
So you do single sheets but one big duvet or single quilts? Cant decide just how big the gap is between the two beds!Would guests be able to comfortably share one big quilt or is the gap too huge?

mrsjammi Tue 13-Oct-09 20:08:39

Message withdrawn

janmoomoo Wed 14-Oct-09 18:01:08

I too had one like the first one but it was from Argos and was cheap c**p. Two single sheets and a king sized duvet like mrsj.

Its a good idea and also useful if you actually want two single beds sometimes, but it is a PITA to keep getting out and making up everytime someone comes TBH.

TheFallenMadonna Wed 14-Oct-09 18:06:53

DS has one. DH made it grin The beds are side by side, but because it has a slatted base and a decent matress, it's pretty comfortable really.

I put single sheets on and use a king size duvet.

flier Wed 14-Oct-09 18:14:42

ours is very similiar to this here we bought ours brand new off ebay and have been very happy with it, ds now uses it as his bed and when GPs come to stay they use it and he uses a ready bed in dds room

MrsBadger Wed 14-Oct-09 18:34:36

yes, and tis a JL one that my grandmother bougth us as a new house / engagement present
[rummages]
thus
the mattresses actually zip together so make a pretty comforatble kingsize double - in fact dh and I slept in it for ages while I was pg and when cosleeping with dd.

has been fab in all circumstances
- great as a spare bed in the study as it is only 2'6" when closed
- great when we have couples to stay (zip together, use a 5' ie kingsize sheet and double duvet)
- great when we have lots of people to stay (couples get the sofabed downstairs and make this one up as two singles with the bedisde table in betwen)
- and now it's dd's bed and is great in her teeny boxroom as is only 2'6" - we have had to make her a headboard for it though.
- in the future will be great when dd moves to the bigger room and can have her cousin to stay on the pull-out one...

benfmsmum Wed 14-Oct-09 19:05:08

We have one like the first one but again much cheaper (from Argos). When it is pulled out I put a thick blanket over the matresses and then put the bottom sheet over the top and it is then comfortable for a couple to share. I use a king size duvet. I can't use a fitted double sheet on it though as it is too big being basically two single beds in size!!

It is very handy as it can be used as one single, two separate singles or a double.

Fizzylemonade Wed 21-Oct-09 15:10:56

I have one from Tesco!!!! They were the only company who could deliver one in 3 days!

this

It is 3ft single with 2'6" pull out so it makes a 5 1/2' bed. I wanted a 3ft pull out but time was against me.

Used 2 single fitted sheets one huge duvet. Beds pushed together so there is no gap.

It is an occasional use bed for guests, it is my son's bed normally and he will no doubt use the pull out one for when he has sleep overs (dreads the day) grin

The pull out bed can be left at floor height or raised up with good locking mechanism.

hattyyellow Wed 21-Oct-09 15:20:26

We have John Lewis one - looks good but mattresses are incredibly uncomfy - I expected better from them. I put the beds side by side for a couple but put separate duvets/sheets with a big throw over the top to make it look like a double.

They are a great way to save space.

gruber Wed 21-Oct-09 15:20:55

We have the original JL one. It is great, if you put a double or kingsize sheet on and kingsize double you wouldn't notice the difference tbh.

Would avoid the one with split heights - can't be a double and can be awkward for adult guests to get down to "off-floor" level, so you just end up with it taking up more floor space IYSWIM.

Blackduck Wed 21-Oct-09 15:41:48

I have one from M&S in ds's room - the bed that pulls out can either stay on the floor (how I leave it if he is having friend's over for a sleepover), or the legs spring out and it is the same height as the original bed so can be used as a double....
Wasn't cheap, but I didn't buy it, my mum did...

flaime Thu 22-Oct-09 21:05:27

We have one of the first type and I put a blanket on, then a king sized sheet to stop the sagging in the middle. I use a king sized duvet as that's what we have spare and it works ok.

If I was buying one again I would def get a zip and link mattress for them.

MacaroonIncident Thu 22-Oct-09 21:06:25

YES WE LOVE IT
really god mattress
makes a 6 ft double ideal for guests ( adult) or kids.
we got a marks one
no gap really but you coulnt lie ON It

MacaroonIncident Thu 22-Oct-09 21:07:01

oh but one of our pop ups is broken so only one of the two makes a double

jennifersofia Sat 24-Oct-09 21:56:59

We have a similar arrangement, and have solved the 'mind the gap' scenario by having a mattress topper from Ikea on top of the two mattresses. (Of course then you have to find a place to store the mattress topper when you aren't using it..)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now