Talk

Advanced search

Venture Photography - anyone been?

(19 Posts)
IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 09-Oct-09 21:14:16

We've got the offer of a free photo shoot and a framed photo. There must be a catch, but I'd like to know more from people with first hand experience before we decide whether to go or not.

Were they good, did they make you all feel at ease? (DS1 can be a bit camera shy)

How much are they to buy?

What did you all wear?

What props did you take?

shonaspurtle Fri 09-Oct-09 21:19:15

Not personally but my friends were given a voucher for a present and the photo shoot was great, the photos were great but the hard sell was apalling.

They went expecting it and determined to just get the free photo. They left with a loan agreement for a huge photo of their ds costing £600.

It's a gorgeous photo but...

They really felt pressured and the whole thing has left a nasty taste. Kind of even spoiled their enjoyment of the photo they bought as they feel like they were somehow strong-armed into it.

Psychobabble Fri 09-Oct-09 21:21:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

duckyfuzz Fri 09-Oct-09 21:23:04

we wasted 2 weekend days getting them done on a freebie and looking at the shots, decided only to get the free pic, still waiting, 2 yrs on...

Lilyloooohhhh Fri 09-Oct-09 21:23:11

here
and many many more threads on this

Meglet Fri 09-Oct-09 21:23:33

The photos are great. But even a small photo (think desk size photo) will set you back about £170. The big wall photos are £££££££. My dad got me and my sister a session and it was loads of fun, but I think I'd have to win the lottery to go again.

Fruitbatlings Fri 09-Oct-09 21:27:06

Same as Shonaspurtle's friends sad

We ended up with a loan agreement of about £900.

Every time they stop me I say very loudly "No thanks I'm still paying for the pictures you did 4 years ago!" or "No thanks, you ripped me off before, won't fall for it again" grin

AitchTwoToTangOh Fri 09-Oct-09 21:31:16

they're just over-exposed and with the colour turned up to 11. the venture style already looks incredibly dated imo.

TheCrackFox Fri 09-Oct-09 21:35:45

We did this. We had the free photo session and I sent DH by himself to choose the best photgo. Dh is a tightwad and came home with a lovely photo of DS. It was all completely free.

Psychobabble Fri 09-Oct-09 21:37:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LynetteScavo Fri 09-Oct-09 21:42:02

Wer'e they good?

I was pleased at the time.

Did htey make us feel at ease? DS1 (5yo at the time tried to do a runner. Photographer locked the door..Ds spent the next our wondering if he might need a wee.....

Tehy like to play music to make you feel at ease, but as DS1 didnt' like too much noise, we asked them not to play any and they didn't.

How much were they?

WE left ££300+ punds proorer for three pics.

What did we wear...We all wore jeans and green/blue shirts.

wE took no probes.

5 years later, all the photos are stuffed under my bed....hmm

brokenrecord Fri 09-Oct-09 21:51:37

There are quite a few independent photographers around Cardiff and Bristol who get lovely results, but you would have to pay for them. It depends what you want. (It's not really possible to do professional photography without charging enough to cover the hours taken travelling, shooting, editing and proofing, making orders with the client and completing the finished product and delivering it, and that's before you factor in the cost of marketing, training, buying the pro cameras, lenses and lights and insuring and servicing the kit.)

If you go with an independent photographer you should be able to find out what the prices are beforehand and have more flexibility in what you get. You will be choosing the photographer too - with Venture you just get the one who is in that studio.

(I'm not advocating Venture's methods, but they ARE a business and anyone thinking about it should realise that the free photo offer is there to try to prompt further sales. I don't know how upfront they are about their prices, as that is a bit questionable if you can't find out.)

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 11-Oct-09 13:15:53

Thanks for all of your replies

I'm thinking that we might not go after all.

I do love their style of photos, but we are not very flush in the money dept right now and I certainly do not want to take out credit to pay for photos so I think it would be easiest not to go then I won't be tempted to spend money that we don't have!

franklymydear Sun 11-Oct-09 13:21:13

they are a chavvy rip-off

brokenrecord Mon 12-Oct-09 10:19:45

I think you will be under pressure to buy, which wouldn't be pleasant if you don't want to buy a lot of stuff at the moment. There will always be offers on from Venture in the future.

(I like their stuff too, BTW, though I can understand that it's not to everyone's taste.)

wheresmypaddle Mon 12-Oct-09 10:45:12

As with another poster we went and were determined to leave with only the freebee. We didn't let the photographer know this though- he was very nice and the session was relaxed. I hate having my photo taken but it was OK.

We then went back to look at the photos some of which we hated and some which we loved- they did several different styles so there was bound to be something that would appeal to us. We stuck to our guns which took some determination and ended up with a great free photo. They would have preferred us to spend more but we just stuck the original offer of a free photo- I guess they were disappointed but it was their offer after all!!

mumof2222222222222222boys Mon 12-Oct-09 11:14:28

We did teh same as wheresmy paddle, but I have been seriously shocked at how much some people will spend there.

My Dss nursery has a photographer who turns up twice a year and does a fab job. Venture style with a white background. Last Xmas he did some brilliant photos and I splashed out for the rights (ie a CD) of all photos. Cost £150.

Go independent.

MaryAmericanSmooth Mon 12-Oct-09 11:20:48

personally I think they look naff- they always have people lying around on the floor ! I'd pick a proper photographer.

Fizzylemonade Mon 12-Oct-09 13:02:18

These days with digital photography and photoshop to touch up spots and blemishes there is much less skill required re lighting etc.

My friend is a professional photographer but has just retired, she charged a session rate and then for photos on top but they were incredibly cheap.

Venture rely on you feeling guilty and buying something you may not even want just to leave the building.

Go with a local photographer. See their results from ONE ENTIRE session, not just the best shot of that session.

Depending on the age of your child, we had my 3 year old runner catch a balloon, kept him in one place and looks like he is having fun! Also we had outdoor ones done of him playing in some woods, in his wellies and peeping round trees (something he does normally) picking up leaves etc

White background is always good, usually the photographer will bring a big pop up thing and will have a double camera flash, one on the camera and a remote flash to combat shadows that make your child look like they have a huge weird head grin

The lying on the floor issue is because children and adults both photograph well in this position.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now